It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CCTV in Classrooms. Schools turning Orwellian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

CCTV in Classrooms. Schools turning Orwellian

www.liveleak.com

Schools are becoming "Orwellian" societies where CCTV cameras in classrooms monitor pupil behaviour and staff performance, teachers will warn today.

They are relying on "Big Brother-style" tactics to crack down on assaults on staff and fellow children, it is claimed.

Many of the Government's semi-independent academies have installed cameras and two-way mirrors to let senior staff monitor pupils, they say.

But the 160,000-strong Association of Teachers and Lecturers fears that the systems are being used by heads to monitor staff performance, putting teachers' ability to work independently at risk.

Speaking at the ATL's annual conference in Torquay, Julia Neal, the union's president, said the shift was symptomatic of the "current reality of over-measured, over-monitored education".

She also criticised the increasing use of league tables and examination targets which, she said, stifled teachers' ability to work and undermined pupils' learning.

"Teachers will talk about surveillance cameras in classrooms, about over-zealous observation of their teaching," she said. "We will hear about teachers delivering a prescriptive curriculum and teaching to the tests in order to secure a good place in the league tables for their school.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Isn't that a laugh I guess when they put them in and said they were going to watch th students it was ok, but when the cameras turnd on the teachers themselfs they didn't like the idea any more.
Think twice befor you sign a deal with the devil you might not think it will effect you but in the end it effects all of us.

www.liveleak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Star, JBA2848!

Maybe some teachers are just mad that the cameras impede their ability
to have sexual relations with students!!!

Van Halen: " I'm hot for teacher ! "

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
when i was at school (14 years ago) i think we were pretty well behaved to what i see and hear these days,CCTV in classrooms was always a thing that was considered but cost was an issue.
IMO i think it's a great idea because not only are you watching children your watching the teachers that for years now have gotten away with alot of things regarding classroom behaviour towards children.

Great idea can't wait for it to happen

new topics

top topics

join