It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat labor (Help)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
My cat Sadi should give birth anyday now.

I have read a few things around the internet, about the signs and also have watched a few videos!

I'm kinda getting nervous!

I am wondering if anyone that has had their own experience with the kitty birth can let me know what I should expect?

What precautions should I take, if any?

Does the cat usually show a mucous plug at first?

Do I need to throw some latex gloves on to help? lol

If a kitty is born and not responding, what should I do for stimulation?

...any help with the situation would be greatly appreciated!

Thank~Courtney

[edit on 3/20/2008 by Givenmay]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have assisted a few of my cats and they usually go off without any assistance at all. Even breach births. Each time my nerves are on edge and I get scared for her but they seem to know what to do without me.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
my cat was supposed to give birth, but the birth never started on it's own. I had to take her to the vet. For some unknown reason, her body had started to absorb some of the kitties but surprisingly they were able to save 2 of the kittens. I had to feed them every two hours till the moms milk came in a few days later. You have to make them poo themselves too if the mom doesnt do it. I highly suggest picking up a book on how to take care of little kittens because you may end up helping on that end. If she ends up having no problems with the birth, then you may not have to do anything at all.

Feel free to U2U me with any questions.

Good luck!

Tela

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Hey there,
Well 9 times out of 10 the latex glloves are not needed. If one of the little ones seems unresponsive, pick it up and rub it quite briskly with a towel, this usually stimulates it ... if still nothing but hold it so that the head is facing down.

It's also a good idea to make sure the kit's find their way to 'mom cat' so she can clean them and bond then just check that the fumble their way to her teats and star feeding.

Your main job will be to observe just to make sure things don't get complicated (which is rare).

One other thing ... however well you prepare with the likes of a 'birthing place' (box etc) ... don't take it personally if she finds somewhere totally different to do the deed.

I remember one of my cats gave birth in my nextdoor neighbours henhouse and another of my cats gave birth under the large 400yr old oak root I have in my bedroom (woke up in the morning wondering what the hell the weird mewing noises were coming from the root.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Telafree

I found a newborn abandoned kitty a couple months ago, bottle fed it, and learned all the tricks to keeping up with them so, I have that one down pat.

It kinda seems like my cat is overdue though, I'm not sure!
I've never been able to feel the kitty's move.

Thankx

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
she'll know when the time is right. Just keep an eye on her,and unless she looks like she needs help,leave her to it.

Edit to say...Don't forget the kitten pics!!

[edit on 20/3/2008 by Acidtastic]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Thankx for the info, and yes I already bought her a big purple plastic storage box for delivery, with a cloth pad from the hospital in it! lol

I might just have to put on my purple latex gloves so, I can be on stanby!

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

"Oh, I wont forget the pics"
My camera is on charge right now, getting ready!
Thankx

(Okay, good, I finally felt the babies moving!)

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Hey Givenmay!
My kitty Sweetie gave birth to 5 kittens 3 days after Christmas.
I paced around very silly like an expectant father in the waiting room, while commiserating with her pain and remembering what it was like to deliver my own kids..poor girl..5!
She knew exactly what to do..whether out of instinct or what..but she was amazing. She was in labor for about 2 hours, and needed no help from me at all. She had popped out 4..a couple of them almost simultaneously. And I thought she was finished. Then out popped this cute little all black one..just what I always wanted!
If you knew me better you would know why...my life revolves around everything black..

The kittens had no problem finding the milk..and Sweetie seemed to be just fine.
Hope all works out for you!
Actually the hardest part is getting really attached to them. I refuse to part with any of them..but they will all be paying a visit to the vet to prevent more!
Definitely want to see pics!

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Also remember she can be giving birth up to 24 hours, Make sure there water there for her all the time incase she gets thirsty and some tasty food,

also try not to mess with her too much as she may start moving the babies..

lol so keep calm and let nature take its course.. Cats are pretty good at getting on with it

Let us know how she gets on!

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I love kitties and have gone through several batches of births.
The momma cat will let you know in her own way what you can and cant do to help. She may NOT want you to mess with her baby at all and growl at ya if your try and touch it...OR she will be happy for some help in cleaning them up, and just lay there waiting for you to do it....

Have a bowl of nice warm water near and a soft washcloth for bathing the babys. ~DONT~ immerse them in water, just hold them gently in your hand wipe them clean with the cloth. Clean the nose & face FIRST and get the air passages free of birth gunk....blow puffs of air in the babys face and they will react with an intake of air......thats really YOUR main thing to do is to make SURE they are breathing. After that I let momma cat clean them up from the neck down the rest of the way. Momma cat may not start with the face and the baby needs that done ASAP.
The mom will want to eat the afterbirth and you need to let her. She gets some serious nutrition from this, so even though it LOOKS GROSS and you want to toss it away leave it for her. There is some nourishment in it that helps her get her milk in strong and healthy.

On the day of the expected birth my momma cats would always tell me this was the day, by not letting me out of her sight....and she would meow allot and just act generally odd. Shaking and quaking and being VERY annoying. When momma got like that I always knew it was BIRTHDAY for the litter.
When its THE DAY.....talk to her and get her a box ready and put soft towels in it. cut a doorway in the side so she doesn't have to jump in it and its easier for her. The easier it is the more she will like it.....and the more likely she will use it. She may like your box fine enough but she also will want privacy so putting this box in a favorite closet is a good idea. Put the box in the area where she likes to sleep.

Cats have been having kittens for ages and ages without HELP from humans so there really is not to much to worry over.
It is really neat to be able to help out a beloved pet with birth and they will let you know how much they will let you help out.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Hi there,
Thought you might like to see a couple of pictures of Willow he is the son of one of my kitties ... saw him born and he was so beautiful I couldn't bear to let him go.

Look how cute he was (3weeks old);

files.abovetopsecret.com...

How gorgeous are those eyes (6weeks old)?

files.abovetopsecret.com...

He's 7yrs old now and still a cutie. Good luck and keep us posted.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I think you spoke of the color black on another thread!
I'ts good that you got what you wanted.
I'm hoping that mine come out pink, purple, and blue, or something but, I know I won't get that lucky!
Yea, it was hard for me to give away the kitty I nursed!
I hear he see's shadow people along with my 1o year old cousin .

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Thankx for the info Asala!

Well, she was good at getting it on!
There will probably be several daddy's since they were all circling her outside, her first time in heat! lol
I'll let ya know how it goes!

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Much needed, and great info Goddess!
I appreciate all of it!
Thank you very much!

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Awww, Willows a cutie!
He looks alot like the one that I found abandoned!
It took alot of love and care to keep that kitty alive.

Thankx for the pics, and I love the name Willow, I might have to steal it, if thats okay!

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
lol you wont believe this! A neighbours cat came in this morning and had babies a box in my kitchen, 0-0

I have been trying to get them to come get there cat, and they are trying to say she is not theres!

Even though she has been there for like 4 years!

Nightmare!

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

lol...did you think about my thread, and let the cat in, or something?
What are you going to do with her and the kitty's?

How many did she have?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
she has had 5, 3 gingers and 2 tabby,
I think thats her lot,

Well im going to see them tomorrow again and if they dont come then im not sure, I will make sure she is ok though no matter what,

I have a blind cat and 2 aids cats so really taking in a new cat is not a good idea as she could get cat aids from them if bitten, The aids cats i had also rescued, Ill pop her to the vets on tuesday to have her checked out first and feed her up a bit,

my blind kitty

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Awww...cute kitty!

Cat aids? I've heard of cat chlamydia
...can you catch it too?

Sad...well, I hope they take them in, which probably wont happen!

My cat has been missing for a few hours now, not normal!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join