It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living the Matrix?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by indierockalien

Constantine DIDN'T have a hand in ALL manuscripts!
There are Majority and Minority texts that were used for the Latin Vulgate and the Textus Receptus, But, The minority text, Codex Alexandrius was tampered with at Alexandria, Egypt.

The oldest New Testament Greek vellum manuscripts were probably written during the reign of Constantine in the 4th Century. It has been suggested that Codex B was one of 50 copies which Constantine had made to produce a common Bible, satisfying all factions in Christendom. In the 7th Century the Egyptian, Syrian and North African Churches were largely eliminated by the Mohammedan invasion.

In Rome, Latin early became the sacred language and replaced Greek in the copies of scripture. This influence spread to the North African Provinces of the Roman Empire. At the end of the 4th Century, Jerome stated that there "were as many Latin Texts as there were manuscripts." Hence he was asked by Pope Damasus (382AD) to produce the authoritative Latin Version, which came to be known as the Latin Vulgate.

The Greek speaking Byzantine Empire, preserved from the Mohammedan invasion, continued till the 15th Century, (the advent of printing). It was here, where the original language of the New Testament was spoken, that God preserved for us the majority of the Greek manuscripts.

Just as the Hebrew Text of the Old Testament was preserved among the Hebrew speaking Jews, so the Greek Text of the New Testament was preserved in the Greek speaking Byzantine Empire. Thus the Byzantine Text, the Traditional Text, -- 'The Greek Vulgate' and the Received Text are synonomous terms each describing the 'True Text' as it has held sway in the hearts of Christians from the earliest times. It is in fact the "majority text" -- the text preserved in the majority of manuscripts.

From where we get the King James Version.

[edit on 21-3-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
If you've ever been fooled by a non-lucid dream, if you've ever run from a monster in a nightmare, then you should realize how deceptive any realm we may find ourselves experiencing can potentially be. This could simply be another dream right now. You could be living in the matrix, even some gods matrix, right now, and not even realize it. How do you know you're not the one being fooled by a hallucination right now? You can't even verify if you are or aren't in some matrix right now, because any evidence you could point to to say no you are not could be false and illusionary too.

I'm well aware of the whole philosophical debate behind reality. I'm reminded of the college professor who gave just one question on his final exam. He put a chair in the middle of the room and told his students to write an essay proving that the chair exists. The only A was given to a student who simply wrote, "What chair?"

Nevertheless, the people around us need to be taken into consideration. Even in the Matrix, our pain and suffering would still be real. Death would still kill us, and society has defined what is acceptable and what is not. Think of the pain and suffering that would be caused to the OP's friends and family if he slipped further into this "We're in the Matrix" mindset. Think of the possible consequences of letting this situation take control of the OP's life.

Ten years from now, he or she could show up at work with a shotgun one day totally convinced that their co-workers are turning into "Agents" and are trying to "Get them." What then? All those people die, just because, maybe, from a philosophical viewpoint, they might possibly have just been a dream?

Sounds like Russian Roulette to me... a game that's better off not played.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well i think that many people including me have experienced the "sky is not real" effect. I have always attributed it to the fact that the sky isn't like anything that we usually see. Its not really solid its pretty much light scattered by the atmosphere. However if you choose to believe that its proof of reality being fake then i wont disagree with you. The truth is that it would be pretty hard for us to prove or disprove such a hypothesis as someone controlling the matrix would have absolute power over everything in it. However if you ever see a serious glitch in the program, pull the thread and watch it unravel.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
All those people die, just because, maybe, from a philosophical viewpoint, they might possibly have just been a dream?

Well, I was never implying that if this were, for example, some creators matrix, or illusion or dream, that it all becomes any more or less than what you thought or presumed all this was before.

Humans already believe whatever they want to believe instead of any truth whenever they can't handle the truth. Religion is like that. "Believe these things, and pretend the truth does not exist."

I always hear the same defense for religion. "They need this make-believe stuff or they'll flip out and rape and kill everything in sight."

Say, do you think humans can't handle the truth?

I don't think everyone would freak out to learn they are trapped within the matrix, most can handle the truth and still not loose all their marbles. But if you learned you were, trapped within this matrix, what's wrong with trying to escape, and helping others escape too?
Your name isn't Mr. Smith is it?

I suppose ET better stay away from Earth, huh? Humans could freak out and shoot them thinking they are demonic. Boo, humans in the matrix, BOO! "Escape, everyone, ha, escape, that movie is real."

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
We might very well be trapped within the matrix. And if the day comes that you find yourself being offered a red and blue pill, waking up in a human battery farm, or learn that you can fly and bend spoons with your thoughts, then by all means try and let the rest of us out.

Until then, I still strongly suggest we all plan our lives as if they were real and deal with possible hallucinations as we normally would.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
WTF is Matrix? A movie, yeah.. so? if they dint make that movie, you would never think of this..."i live in matrix", when i was kid i was thinking that i am spiderman lol and living in the superheros world....you got bad trip dog.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The sky is unreal, for we live in the fantasy of God.
if any questions(about anything,wich weapons will we use in the future, whe will the universe end...)just mail me and i'll answer.
[email protected]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Furio

Go ahead and answer now...

When will the universe end?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Squeeky the Ballet Rat

I reckon you are suffering from depression.
You show signs of someone crying out for help.

Take a look at your life and find out what is really bothering you, its usually a sense of purpose. Nobody can offer you this, you have to find it yourself.
Try writing down various things that you enjoy or things you aspire to and you will soon find what it is that you wish to do with your life.

Good Luck!

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dz0ni
WTF is Matrix? A movie, yeah.. so? if they dint make that movie, you would never think of this..."i live in matrix", when i was kid i was thinking that i am spiderman lol and living in the superheros world....you got bad trip dog.

I guess you never heard, or learned. That truth is stranger then fiction.
And fiction often born of mans enter, deepest perceptions, reveals a
greater revelation of truth; then his most thoughtful meditations.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Shadowflux said it better than me. We all live within layers of illusion. Some of it is simple and transparent, like the way celebrities dominate the media to keep people distracted. Other layers are more complicated and intertwined. Nothing is as it seems.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
i haven't read the whole thread, tbh, but still i'd like to say that realitiy as we experience it is definatly an illusion. all we can feel, see, hear or taste is a copy of the real world inside of our brains. everything is much more complex than we can ever imagine. we can only try to come as colse as it gets to the real thing, but still we will never be able to reach it. if you ask me, there's no way to tell if an apple is really an apple or just an information in my head. we are relying only on our senses, which rely on tiny bits of copied information out of the "real"(?) world, and therefore it's impossible to tell a difference.

so i'm pretty sure we live in some kind of matrix, which is placed inside our minds.

[edit on 22-3-2008 by hackbart]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dz0ni

a matrix is for most a mathematical principle, not a movie.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Squeeky the Ballet Rat

although i think that we live in some "kind" of matrix, i would also suggest you to try and talk about these things with a psychologist. it's nothing bad and doesn't mean you're crazy or something, but it might help you to understand these hallucinations better.

take care!

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I use to think that it would be quite impossible to ultimately prove we exist within an artificial reality. We couldn't even fully trust any of the potentially illusionary holodeck evidence pointing one way or another, since any evidence would always be suspect within any virtual reality world, or presumed really real world.

We can of course deduce a few things. One self-realized fact that is inescapable is that "We've been fooled before." Many times before. In our dreams. This fact makes me highly suspicious of every realm I now find myself experiencing.

And we can test to a limited degree if we exist within some matrix. We could submit a few test change requests and see if the matrix programmatically responds accordingly.

For example, "Holodeck, reduce the human infestation on Earth by 89% before their year of 2012 rolls around, in order to save the planet." (sounds like a pretty good unselfish righteous change request to me . . which might be a requirement to make it so ~ if a collective matrix consensus is necessary)

Okay, now all we have to do is wait and see if it works.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
ive wondered about this my self but usualy after ive taken a couple hits of acid or ate some magic mush rooms my advice stop using them there no good

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
ive wondered about this my self but usualy after ive taken a couple hits of acid or ate some magic mush rooms my advice stop using them there no good

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I say shes an indigo child and may be sensitive to what others are not. Trying to push religion or personal beliefs while debunking her personal feelings serves no purpose.
Its funny we seem to forget how the masses all agreed that the world was flat also.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
ok poeple, i am not saying we live in a matrix like that of the movies, i just have no better name for it. the only thing i find close to being the same is the fact things seem digital, aside form that, they really aren't the same. you guys are a great help though, thanks.
~L. Fate

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by XHIBIT

if i may ask, not to be rude, but what is an idigo child?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join