It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18 Billion Suns - Biggest Black Hole in Universe Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

18 Billion Suns - Biggest Black Hole in Universe Discovered

www.dailygalaxy.com

Whatever gave birth to this monster can be real proud. The biggest black hole in the universe weighs in with a respectable mass of 18 billion Suns, and is about the size of an entire galaxy. Just like in the Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito flick “Twins”, the massive black hole has a puny twin hovering nearby. By observing the orbit of the smaller black hole, astronomers are able to test Einstein's theory of general relativity with stronger gravitational fields than ever before.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I love the way the units of weight are "Suns". The smaller one weighs oh about 100 million suns.

Glad it's not in the neighborhood.

www.dailygalaxy.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Lol...yea...talk about the neighborhood bully! GEESH!

Back on topic:

they say they are testing Einstein's theory....what if it came out to be totally wrong?? How would that change our perspective on life?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigwhammyGlad it's not in the neighborhood.

You never know. When we see things, we're seeing them as they were in the past, not how they currently are. Who knows, it could be even bigger and even closer.

I have no idea what direction it's moving, or if it's moving at all, and I have no knowledge on black holes, but just throwing that out there.

That's scary, though. That thing would go right through us and wouldn't miss a beat. We'd just be gone.

top topics

join