It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: Al Qaeda is in Iraq, Stealing 'Our' oil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Bush: Al Qaeda is in Iraq, Stealing 'Our' oil

rawstory.com

Bush first used a more modest variant of that argument while campaigning for Republicans during the 2006 Congressional elections. Back then, the threat was that "extremists and radicals" would "pull a bunch of oil off the market". While it was refreshing to hear him finally acknowledge the blood-oil nexus, I don't think the threat resonated with many voters, judging from the election results.

A couple of months later, during his surge announcement, Bush upped the ante. Now it was "radical Islamic extremists" who were going to "use oil revenues to fund their ambitions."

And finally, today, Bush threw in "al Qaeda" and "weapons of mass destruction" for good measure. But did he go too far?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
LOL!

Wait a minute, I thought it was the 'Iraqi's' oil, used to pay for rebuilding their infrastructure that we decimated?

So I wonder if that will be the next excuse Dumbya sidesteps the nose-diving dollar and economy on..."The economy and dollar value aren't the problem, Oil Prices have sky-rocketed because of Al Qaeda pulling the oil out of the markets!"

There are too many zany, inane statements made by our pathologically lying, Dictator-Decider-in-Chief lately to even count. He's on a role of absurdity that even for someone as looney-tunes as him is an eye-brow raiser.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Technically he's right.

They are in Iraq and they are stealing oil

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
good ol' shrub - you just gotta love him.

In the same way you gotta love peter griffin or homer simpson - his foot has been in his mouth so many times, he'll be able to try out as a contortionist when he leaves office.

Or should that be EXtortionist...

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I was ready to say when did it become "our" oil? That is exactly how these criminals think too.They litrely view it as our oil.It boggles the mind at how completely indifferent and blatenly evil these people are that are running this world.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
You gotta give it to them, though. They do tell the truth in these press releases and speeches.

They say Al Qaeda attacked our way of life and wants to take away our freedoms.

They say Al Qaeda wants to crash our economy.

They say Al Qaeda wants to destabilize Iraq.

They say Al Qaeda wants to threaten world peace and security.

They say Al Qaeda is stealing Iraqi oil.

Then you look at it, and THEY are the ones who created and control Al Qaeda, if in fact "Al Qaeda" is even a competent entity in the world rather than just an illusion and an idea.

They're basically admitting their crimes.

I'm awful glad my government doesn't lie to me. My government loves me. GO AMERICA!

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This is just another tactic to keep US troops in Iraq.

The oil is "ours" because Cheney is making sure foreign oil companies get their hands on Iraq's oil:

Law to privatize Iraq's oil

Draft Law on 'Oil Revenue Sharing' Published, Oil Control Issue Still Undecided

Cheney's recent visit to Iraq was only about the oil fields:

Cheney's surprise visit to Iraq

A senior administration official told reporters accompanying Cheney that the vice president would tell the Iraqis "they need to continue to show some progress" on legislation seen as key to defusing sectarian strife.

Those laws include an oil-revenue sharing measure; a law setting out provincial government powers; and one covering elections that the US official said were expected to take place October 1.

[edit on 3/20/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

More and more I got the feeling that Bush is a bubble child and the propaganda feeding that is given to him to tell is getting to his brain scramble.

Something is definitely wrong with Mr. Bush.

Stealing Iraq oil at heart of Bush foreign policy

www.chestertontribune.com...

Federal Reserve Stealing Iraqi Oil Revenues

www.truthnews.us...

[edit on 20-3-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I had a good laugh at the last two paragraphs:

Increasingly for the Bush administration, "al Qaeda" has become shorthand for "anyone in the Middle East who doesn't like us." That's why John McCain got into trouble on Tuesday. I know they have to simplify things for their base, but they're running the risk of alienating anyone with a brain.

At the end of the briefing, a man who'd been sitting in back came up to me and said, "That was great, what you just did. That was brilliant." I asked him who he was. He said, "Just visiting. I'm military."

"Brilliant!!"

One can only hope; when push comes to shove, and the NeoCon chickenhawks make their final(?) push, the military shoves back, with extreme prejudice.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Just One Problem

I read the article, and nowhere does it quote President Bush as having said "our oil".

Did I miss something, or is the title of the article putting words in his mouth that he didn't say?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

I did not see the reference either. This is the kind of sensationalist reporting that gives a black eye to the truth movement. If Bush actually said it then fine, but if not then don't report that he did. I'm sure there are a lot of other quotes they can find to make Bush look bad.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The Story Behind The News

Interestingly enough, this story is now #7 on Digg.

Digg - Bush: Al Qaeda is in Iraq, stealing our oil

Judging from the responses, it appears that very few members there have actually read the article.

Seems to me the real "news" aspect of this story has become how, thanks to the Internet, a little lie can become a Big Lie.

Hundreds of people actually seem to believe Bush said "our oil", and it's a lie.

Who needs facts when fiction will do?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

I fail to see how it's fiction.

I agree with you that the words have been twisted and perhaps even made up.

But I think the real story here is how the Neocons are using this lie that "Al Qaeda" is attempting to sabotage the Iraqi oil supply, which would hurt the world economy, all as an excuse to remain in Iraq. They can simply say "as bad as gas prices are now, an Al Qaeda controlled oil market would be much worse" and you suddenly have the 'on-the-fence' and slightly critical of the war critics toning down their criticisms.

Yes, the words were twisted. But no, it's not fiction. The excuse and the real words being said are just as much, if not more, of a story than if he really did say "our oil".

We shouldn't dismiss the whole story simply because someone gave it a bad title, whether it was intentional or not.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The Facts About Fiction

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
I fail to see how it's fiction.

I agree with you that the words have been twisted and perhaps even made up.

You might want to read these two sentences together again, if you're a fan of both irony and fiction.

As for the merits of the story, feel free to point them out for me, because what I'm seeing is a very shoddy piece of pseudojournalism.

Ethical journalists ask questions, wait for answers and record them accurately. They don't put words in peoples' mouths and don't give their stories false or misleading headlines.

If anything, this article is a great example of the sort of writing that gives journalism a bad name, and explains why so much fiction is mistaken for fact these days.

But as long as people are willing to accept it as fact simply because it supports their own prejudices, we'll continue to see more if it.

No thanks.
:shk:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
You might want to read these two sentences together again, if you're a fan of both irony and fiction.

I am talking about the real story. I'm not talking about those two words "our oil".

"Our oil" is fiction. The story is not. This administration has used the excuse of Al Qaeda attempting to sabotage Iraqi oil to justify staying in Iraq.

Are you denying that fact?

As for the merits of the story, feel free to point them out for me, because what I'm seeing is a very shoddy piece of pseudojournalism.

I never said one thing about the merits of this particular article. I am talking about the story itself. Not the website, not the journalist, but the story of this administration using these lies to justify staying over there.

But as long as people are willing to accept it as fact simply because it supports their own prejudices, we'll continue to see more if it.

If you are talking about the "our oil" part, then I agree with you.

But if you are dismissing the whole story because of those two words, then it clearly shows you are willing to dismiss fact simply because it supports what ever prejudices you happen to have.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Well considering the reasoning behind Cheney's visit to Iraq, I was not surprised by Bush's statement.

Cheney was in Iraq to ensure an "oil-revenue" sharing law passed so foreign oil companies would have access to Iraq's oil.

Therefore, Bush saying "our oil" is being stolen is not so far-fetched.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Pride And Prejudice

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
But if you are dismissing the whole story because of those two words, then it clearly shows you are willing to dismiss fact simply because it supports what ever prejudices you happen to have.

Absent the yellow journalism, Mr. Brewer's "big scoop" seems to be that the Bush administration's rhetoric regarding Iraqi oil has morphed from "extremists and radicals" that would "pull a bunch of oil off the market" to "al Qaeda" using oil revenues for "weapons of mass destruction".

Undercutting whatever significance that observation may have, Mr. Brewer proceeded to ask Ms. Perino to "describe a plausible scenario" for that -- then cut off her responses, leaving us with little more than his own pointless display of self-aggrandizement, his painfully forced inferences and few credible facts.

While the purported evolution of the Bush administration's rhetoric on Iraq is potentially interesting, I'm not convinced Mr. Brewer's discovery is necessarily anything new, since it's basically just a rehash of Bush's prewar claims about Iraq minus Saddam.

The implication has always been there, and has been beaten into the ground in so many ways over the years as to become tiresome. In other words, Bush has been throwing "al Qaeda", "Iraq" and "weapons of mass destruction" around together in various combinations for so long that if this is really something new, it's decidedly underwhelming in import.

If you think it's a big deal, then great!

I don't. Shifting, questionable rhetoric about Iraq coming from the Bush administration is not news to me.

Rather, I find the underhanded scheme the author chose to promote this story to be far more noteworthy. Based on the majority of responses in this thread and elsewhere, I'm not alone -- though apparently in the minority in recognizing the obvious lie being used to sell the story.

While googling for examples of previous Bush statements to use in this post (like these old chestnuts), I was treated to yet another glorious example of the Internet echo-chamber effect. Note how often this same article pops up on various other sites.

How many of them do you think will focus on shifting presidential rhetoric instead of the false implication that Bush said "Al Qaeda is in Iraq, stealing our oil"?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

All I hear from Bush is more war rhetoric. However, he did mention oil as a WMD as you pointed out. That may not be exactly the same as "stealing."

Out of such chaos in Iraq, the terrorist movement could emerge emboldened -- with new recruits, new resources, and an even greater determination to dominate the region and harm America. An emboldened al Qaeda with access to Iraq's oil resources could pursue its ambitions to acquire weapons of mass destruction to attack America and other free nations. Iran would be emboldened as well -- with a renewed determination to develop nuclear weapons and impose its brand of hegemony across the Middle East. Our enemies would see an America -- an American failure in Iraq as evidence of weakness and a lack of resolve.

Bush discussed war on terror

VIDEO: Perino says Al Qaeda could gain access to Iraq's oil fields if we leave too soon

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Majic,

You're acting as if I am defending this person that wrote the article. I've probably been on "The Raw Story" twice before today, so I can promise you I have no bias for or against that website, and I haven't a clue who the journalist is.

The article isn't what I'm talking about. It's just the overall justification of the war because of these things that the administration says.

To that you say:

If you think it's a big deal, then great!

It is a big deal. Simply because they beat it in to our heads so much that we get sick of hearing it doesn't mean it's not a big deal.

Are you advocating ignoring things like this simply because they say it to us so much?

If they said "we're going to take away your freedoms when we get attacked again" over and over, should we begin to just ignore it? Or should something be done about it?

It's becoming clear that this administration is stepping up the false threats and propaganda all to justify their agenda. Everything under the sun is the doing of Al Qaeda. Everything bad is because of Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda has the power to launch any attack and gain possession of any weapon known to man. Al Qaeda is responsible for this, and responsible for that.

I find it quite hypocritical that lies pour out of this administration so frequent that they may even believe their own lies, and they blame Al Qaeda for everything that happens in the world, and it's all accepted as fact, yet when us bad old conspiracy theorists change a couple words in a title of a news article and blame the United States Government for everything that happens in the world, then we're beat down, labeled nuts, and everyone is just itching to point out our faulty logic and lies.

In the end, no matter if it's a lying news article title, a war of lies, Al Qaeda or the United States Government being involved in every single event - it's all lies. It doesn't matter who it comes from, it doesn't matter what the content, if it's a lie, it's a lie, and should be treated as such.

Wearing a suit, standing in front of a podium and having what you say broadcast on CNN doesn't make a lie any more truthful than if it were posted on a blog by a guy in his basement hell bent on spreading disinformation.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I was ready to say when did it become "our" oil? That is exactly how these criminals think too.They litrely view it as our oil.It boggles the mind at how completely indifferent and blatenly evil these people are that are running this world.

I agree - they're simply not human.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join