It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can paranormal phenomena be studied scientifically?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Does studying paranormal phenomena scientifically make it more credible or just reduce the magic that makes it 'paranormal'? More importantly, can it be studied in that way, eg. do we have the instruments to be able to study it in that way?

Thanks for your comments.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HighEye

Of course we can study it scientifically. If it can be observed, it can be studied. And by "observed" I don't mean just with the eye, but any scientific instrument.

"Paranormal" is just what "normal" is before we understand it - it's a label that has acquired quite a bit of mystery, but it's as simple as that. It's quite feasible that some people will want to believe in this stuff because it's mysterious "uncharted territory", or because they want to feel like they have special knowledge yet to be learned by "those in the know".

If scientists can repeatedly study something, they'll learn. If they can't (which is a great indicator of something being bunk, by the way), then they won't.

Science is always waiting, always watching.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HighEye

Recording the circumstances and reporting them correctly would be of tremendous help.

Here's what I proposed a while ago:

How to report 'paranormal' experiences

(N.B. It's not nearly as complicated or "difficult" as it reads.
)

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
We only have 5 physical senses so I am not sure if any amount of planning would improve our ability to perceive these experiences. Unless they float into our 5-sense system of perception and become 'normal' as you say. If something is not bound by time and space as we know it then how can it possibly be measured?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Some of it can be studied and some of it cannot. you can't study something entirely unphysical using physical means

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by HuntaXX
Some of it can be studied and some of it cannot. you can't study something entirely unphysical using physical means

Yes that's what I mean. So more importantly my question is what do we do with it? Is it good enough to just let it be or do we devise new means to study it outside the present parameteres of the scientific framework?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by HuntaXX

Totally agree HuntaX.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It's certainly possible to study the paranormal or metaphysical using scientific means. Just check out the research of either Dean Radin or Dr. Gary Schwartz. There is plenty of real scientific research into the paranormal. We may not ever get it all figured out, but each set of experiments gets us a little bit closer.

top topics

join