It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Congressman wants 50-cent Tax hike on every gallon of Gas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Michigan Congressman wants 50-cent Tax hike on every gallon of Gas

www.foxnews.com

A Michigan congressman wants to put a 50-cent tax on every gallon of gasoline to try to cut back on Americans' consumption.

Polls show that a majority of Americans support policies that would reduce greenhouse gases. But when it comes to paying for it, it's a different story.

Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., wants to help cut consumption with a gas tax but some don't agree with the idea, according to a new poll by the National Center for Public Policy Research.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Uh...Yeah....Not like we aren't ALREADY being dissuaded from any type of travel with the rape-at-the-pump happenings.

Here's an idea, instead of trying to limit people's travel, why not invest a few billion you guys are tossing away on debauched overseas invasions, and come up with ALTERNATIVE technology that doesn't rely on oil, like we should have done about 50 years ago?!?

Oh wait, your corporate oil masters would never let that happen. Silly me.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's amazing how Democrats think...

It you want to stop the growth of something...cigarettes, alcohol, gas consumption etc. TAX IT!

But you never hear of Democrats wanting to lower taxes to stimulate anything?

Democrats always criticize Republican Tax Cuts for the rich, too bad we don't have real Republican leadership that criticize Democrats tax increases on the poor.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Look at the golden example of Liberalism!

Michigan is in the toilet. And Michigan wanted it that way. Keep voting for democrats Michigan! You get exactly what you deserve!

Other golden examples of Liberalism? Try Cleveland, Phili, Pitt, New Oreans, etc...

Their policies lead to a rotten standard of living everywhere...and the citizens are getting exactly what they deserve.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Might happen here in Jersey, too. It's not bad enough the price of gas is going up on its own, now they want to make it worse? Don't they realize that if gas goes up, so does the cost of transporting goods? That shirt has to get to the mall, those eggs have to get to the market, so raise the gas tax and everything else will go up. Tourist spots will suffer because nobody will want to travel. Yeah, raise the tax on gas, that'll help....

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Considering consumers are already paying up to $4.00 per gallon at the pumps, I see this measure as a ridiculous "carbon tax" to further fuel the war machine.

Instead of raising gasoline prices, the oil companies should be paying the American people back for their insane profit margins. Shell and Exxon/Mobil both posted record high profits this year, and the American/world peoples are still paying for premium gas prices.

I remember a time when $1.00 a gallon was high, now the prices is almost as bad as a gallon of milk.

DD,

The alternative fuels are going to have to come from the American people. The oil giants only care about profit, not about the environment, and even less about the needs of the average person.

If any sort of change is going to come in this area, its going to have to start from the ground up.

I can assure you I am working towards a renewable fuel source that will put the oil barons to shame.

The secret: hemp

RRconservative:

This is not a liberal/conservative issue. The "conservative" businesses have profited off the war in Iraq, meanwhile the American public at large pays for their expenses.

Maybe instead of spending billions per year on the war in Iraq we can spend some money rejuvenating the economy or feeding the poor.

But no, that would be too compassionate.

Again, not a liberal/conservative or republican/democrat issue.

We are all Americans and should be able to figure out a program that works for everyone.

P.S. I'm a libertarian and I hate big government so don't even bother calling me a liberal. You'll just waste your own breathe.

new topics

top topics

join