It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Infinite Journey Of Your Consciousness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I don't know why, but this morning as I was waking up, the first thought I had in my head was this.

When we die, everything that is us (memories, skills, ideas, knowledge etc) dies along with our body except one thing... Our consciousness. Our consciousness is the energy that makes us alive and as energy cannot be destroyed or created, it simply leaves our body and goes somewhere else. This somewhere else is a child that is being born somewhere else at the time or shortly after you die.

The consciousness could even be called the soul. The child that receives the soul is a reincarnation of our previous selves. As it is purely the energy that allowed us to live and everything else has been erased, the child grows up into an individual based on it's own surroundings and experiences. You would be that child but without any knowledge or memory of your previous life.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you weren't born? Would you still experience life but as somebody else? The answer is yes, you would have experienced life as your consciousness/soul, which is the foundation of yourself but you would have simply found another vessel to live as a material being instead of invisible energy.

Would anyone like to give me their opinions on this theory?

(The fact that I thought of this at 7am while I was half asleep does concern me...
)

50/50

[edit on 20-3-2008 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
When we die, everything that is us (memories, skills, ideas, knowledge etc) dies along with our body except one thing... Our consciousness.

I like the way you think. But your consciousness is your memories that is why we all act consciously different from each other. Your conscious will exist forever as a frequency.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I don't agree. When we are born all we have is some survival instincts. We are still 'conscious'. Are you thinking of conscience.. which is what we grow over time to know what's right and wrong? That is a totally different subject.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Do you perhaps propose that our consciousness was in existence before our birth in this physical world?

I have a hard time accepting theories of reincarnation for the following reason, and by reincarnation I mean rebirth of a certain essential spirit, which in this case is being called consciousness. You claim that our consciousness, which may be a force whose activities take place in some dimension independent of time and space, can exist past my physical death and be reborn in some future state stripped of those cognitive faculties associated with my physical being, such as memory, experience, etc.

I don't really have a problem up to this point, but the problems begin to arise when we think of the being in this future state. Who, or what, is that being. Is it still myself? What constitutes the self? The problem I have with reincarnation (not that this is what you are speaking of fifty) is that 'I' have had previous lives, or I may have, but I cant remember them, no characteristics which I can attest to that previous identity are with me now. I have zero relation to that past 'self'. So what does that mean to me? It seems as though the concept, or the terminology, of 'self' becomes meaningless to the believer of reincarnation. For you may claim that you are the same entity, the same life-force, but what does that really mean? It means nothing, it is an empty term for something that cannot be defined.

My concept of 'myself' includes the concept of my own identity, which has been formed through my life experiences, things that become part of my memories and active consciousness. If there is some 'thing' which is a part of my consciousness from a previous life-force or being, it was not a part of 'myself'. It was something different completely, even if we do share this elusive 'substance'.

This substance may, for example, merely be the atoms and ions, the energy trapped in the food-cycle of Earth that resonates into this life.

On the other hand, it is completely plausible that our 'consciousness', the only part of ourselves which in all likelihood does not exist in any physical space as we know it, may continue to exist beyond the death of our physical bodies, along with all those faculties which are associated with it, such as memory. On the other hand, there may be numerous cognitive capabilities, much like our 'consciousness' which do not exist in any physical space.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I see it like this,

Consciousness is like water, water can come in many forms but water is still water. The same as fire is fire, but there are many different fires. Fire and water, earth and wind - these are eternal truths and realities. Much the same is the consciousness - hence why we are in reality all one organism, all consiousness is the same thing.

But remember, although water is water, some water is purer, some is more polluted, some has more charge, some lacks ions, some are ionized. Do you see ?

But it's constantly changing, it's not like polluted water is a hopeless case, it needs only to pass through the correct procedures in life in order to be purified.

But in all honesty - we waste a lot of time trying to understand life, or thinking about living. Instead we should just live, we were never meant to understand things like a consciousness, and how could you ? You can never understand what you are while you are inside yourself, It's the same analogy as the eyes that see, but cannot see themselves. You see ? :p

Life, in it's entirety and prefection was designed a mystery, and will always remain a mystery - anything else would be silly because anything that can be known in it's entirety and put into a box is something that eventually you will tire of, and that is not something you ever want happening, especially considering your life is potentially eternal.

J

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hi Modulus,

Yes I believe that before you and I existed as 'ourselves' the energy within us that makes us 'alive' existed within another human being or maybe not specifically human, it could be an animal or anything else with a consciousness (awareness). Where this energy is, be it in another dimension or beyond the human eye, I don't know.

As MortalEngine said, water is water and never disappears. If you think of a lake, the lake could evaporate due to drought. The water that made up that lake will be in another form until it finds the right conditions to become liquid again and will eventually flow into maybe another lake. It will not have the same fish, the same chemicals, the same anything as the old lake but it will still contain the foundation.. the very water that made up the old lake.

What I am trying to say is that your consciousness will never die, it will simply move on and exist elsewhere. Without the body and the brain that it was previously associated with, it is an empty consciousness.. basically the soul of the body it resides in.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Interesting ideas mortalengine.
Could you please explain a bit further about how you think water resembles consciousness. Do you mean that it is an essential part of existence, which flows and pours into many different forms, with different chemical compositions, to create the abundance of life on earth? Can this 'water' escape the earth and manifest itself elsewhere in the universe?

My conception of consciousness is somewhat different. Obviously we can never truly know the answer, but to me consciousness resembles software more than it does water. To me life on earth began through the interaction of certain chemicals facilitated by energy, which evolved into more complex life, which continued to evolve and grow in complexity. Eventually organisms evolved to be equipped with a certain circuit-board, our brains. Our brains are thing which exist in the physical world, this is undeniable, but these circuit-boards are a platform for running certain types of software. I believe this software constitutes our consciousness. And I believe that this software is a mechanism which functions on some quantum dimension independent from the physical mechanisms constituting its platform. I believe that this software, or consciousness, always follows the same underlying principles, basically that it is a quantum computer, but that it can be equipped with any variation of software that can be programmed in the 'quantum language'.

In terms of what it means for our physical bodies to die, sadly I think that the software will not be able to function with the hardware supporting it, I cannot conceive that, firstly this software does not require any energy to maintain its existence, and secondly that there will be any form of energy supply without the physical body.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
fiftyfifty

Sorry, didn't see your previous post in time. I think we have a fundamentally different understanding of consciousness. To me it seems that you believe it to behave much like physical attributes, like matter that cannot be created of destroyed. There is this life-force, which cannot be destroyed, and therefore undergoes certain changes, takes on different forms as it moves about in existence.

I on the other hand believe that consciousness is something created out of certain physical conditions, namely the neural network of the central nervous system.

Where do we go from here? I don't know...

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I on the other hand believe that consciousness is something created out of certain physical conditions, namely the neural network of the central nervous system

The difference we have here is matter versus energy. I believe that our consciousness is an energy within the physical body which makes up the entire universe (the matter). However I do see what you are saying, that consciousness is a product of what happens within the brain. Of course there is no way we will ever know for sure.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
If consciousness is an energy in itself, rather than something that requires energy to perpetuate itself, how did it come to inhabit animal life forms, rather than other organic life, such as plants or fungi? What are the criteria which dictate what should be host to this substance?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Modulus

To be perceived, this energy needs to inhabite a central brain, humans and other 'living' creatures all have this vital organ to allow existence to be observed and lived in. Plants do not have this ability to perceive life. I highly doubt that plant life has any perception of life or reality. The energy that gives them life is different to ours. Going back to the water analogy, maybe plant energy is eqivelantly different from our energy as water is to fire.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It seems strange to me that consciousness would inhabit a suitable body as a type of alien 'virus', although that term as incorrect connotations. It seems more likely, I guess using the principle of accams razor, that it be more likely to be the result of the natural evolution of beings...

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Modulus
If consciousness is an energy in itself, rather than something that requires energy to perpetuate itself, how did it come to inhabit animal life forms, rather than other organic life, such as plants or fungi? What are the criteria which dictate what should be host to this substance?

Perhaps consciousness inhabits all. Perhaps it's all around us... perhaps it IS us. Would the world you experience in a dream be anything else other than pure consciousness? And is this world any different? I'm leaning towards a "no".

For if our consciousness is a product of it's environment, then we're nothing but machines. But if it's the other way around? Now that really opens up some doors to perception.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What you state in your opening post is very similar to the Tibetan book of the Dead. They have bards that are read to guide consciousness and to help it realize its true form. These bards are read out loud, because consciousness is everywhere. They try and assist the soul/consciousness reach a good birth (human birth). They have several children that were able to identify objects from their past lives.

There's a great documentary out there (called Tibetan book of the Dead) that was a co-operation between Canada, Japan and Tibet, made back in 1975. Narrated by Leonard Cohen (because I can't imagine Fran Drescher narrating).

If any of my statements are factually incorrect, feel free to correct me

Peace.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

The consciousness is what dies when we die.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TransparentOpacity
reply to post by fiftyfifty

The consciousness is what dies when we die.

I agree, when we die our ego dies with it. You cannot cross the boundry into the next life and take your ego with you. Your consciousness and ego are one and the same.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I had that very same realization a few years ago myself. I have not feared death since.. only the worry that my lack of physical presence may not be good for some people in my life that are dependant on me. That is really the only reason I even worry about whether or not I live another day in this form.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is true because your energy state can't die when the material body dies.

Your energy survives death along with every emotion, thought or action. That's because these things are energy states that can't die. If you turn on the TV that's an energy state. If you think about your future, that's an energy state.

These energy states are also unique to each individual because there's nobody else turning on there tv at that point in space.

This is why psychics say there are connecting to a person's energy and that energy could be angry or sad.

Psychics can also connect to non human entities and some of them are beings that didn't incarnate on earth but in another universe.

Your consciousness is an energy state, so your consciousness can't die.

[edit on 21-3-2008 by polomontana]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
It also ties in with when people claim to have had near death experiences and 'come out' of there bodies and been actually able to see themselves from an outside perspective. Out of interest, has anybody here had a NDE?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Choronzon

I don't agree with that. Consciousness as fiftyfity put it more or less, is something that does not die.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying consciousness is god, but it is a manifestation of the divine. Consciousness is an avenue of reaching God. Every soul's journey is different.

The ant is going to have a different journey than us. In my opinion, the human is the highest form of consciousness on this planet. With that being said, that gives humanity the responsibility and expectation of being stewards of this planet. We haven't been doing a very good job at that.

It is our duty to take care of the "lesser" beings (they're not any worse than us, but are less aware) and the planet in general.

new topics

top topics

join