It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Costa Rican Artist Under Fire For Starving Dog As Part Of Art Exhibit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Costa Rican Artist Under Fire For Starving Dog As Part Of Art Exhibit

Warning: This story may disturb some readers.

There is global outrage over a Costa Rican artist, Guillermo “Habacuc” Vargas, who tied up a starving and sick stray dog as part of an art exhibit in Nicaragua in August.

Vargas paid two children to catch the stray dog. He then tied the dog in a corner of the gallery and informed others to not feed the dog or give him water. The dog died after a day.

As part of his art exhibit, Vargas included a legend spelled out in dog food reading “You are what you read”, photos and an incense burner. He said his piece was a tribute to a Nicaraguan burglar that was killed in Costa Rica by two rottweilers that were guarding the property.

Although the story seems legit, I actually never heard of this before. Maybe other member can confirm this story. I got this story from ggmania, so thanks to ggmania for the relay.

Update on Care2

Tuesday November 6, 2007, 12:55 am
On November 05, 2007
Pronouncement of the Honduran Protective Association of Animals

HONDURAN PROTECTIVE AFFILIATION OF THE ANIMALS AND HIS AMBIENCE
AHPRA

PRONOUNCEMENT

ON THE ARTISTIC EXHIBITION IN WHICH THERE WERE COMMITTED ACTS OF ANIMAL CRUELTY AND OTHER FACTS THAT CAN BE CONSTITUTIVE OF ILLICIT.
The Honduran Protective Association of the Animals and his Ambience (AHPRA), with juridical personality number 1337-2004, expressed by the Secretary of Government and Justice of Honduras, for this way declares itself publicly on the facts published in the Newspaper Nation of Costa Rica, in date October 04 of the present year, relating to the exhibition that there realized the Costa Rican artist Guillermo Vargas, better acquaintance as Habacuc, in the Gallery Codex of the city of Managua, Repúblic of Nicaragua, last August, presentation in the one that was used like a street sick dog objected.

Whether this guy is an artist or not, you be the judge. But he is definitely a criminal!

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Is this a new twist on the term 'starving artists group'?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I am really confused to why this guy thinks he is an artist for starving a dog to death and putting words in front of it. Thats art? :shk:

Yes I think that criminal action should be taken against this "artist" for obvious cruelty to animals. The exact same effect could have been accomplished in a painting or a photograph, without killing a dog for it. Heck he could probably have gone around and found a dog that was already dead and used it for the piece if the corpse of an animal was truly required to send his message.

join