It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

SC troopers used cars to ram suspects

page: 1
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

SC troopers used cars to ram suspects


news.yahoo.com

In one of the two new dash-cam videos, which were first reported Wednesday by The Post and Courier of Charleston, Lance Cpl. Steven C. Garren drives after a man on foot, striking him when he crosses in front of Garren's cruiser. The man flips over the car's hood and into high grass on the roadside.

"Yeah, I hit him. I was trying to hit him," Garren, who is white, can be heard telling another trooper.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I have actually been watching this story on TV all morning and was surprised to see it reported on Yahoo as a top story.

A lot of strange happenings going on in SC concerning police and lots of claims of racism. I am not too convinced that this is about race but maybe more about the whole mentality of police in general. They obviously have no regard for the lives of those they claim to protect. You can see one of the videos in the top left corner of the article. What if this guy didn't grab the car to regain his balance? Is it right that police run the risk on running over someone?

Of course an argument can be said that he was guilty of something if he was running etc etc, but thats not really the point. Criminal or not, police are crossing the line by hitting a person with their car. If this is the type of treatment you can expect from police, I think I'd run to if a cop wanted to talk to me regardless of if I was guilty of something or not.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal
 


This says it all:


"They're just lazy," Alpert said. "Rather than get out of their car or get in a foot race, or tackle someone ... they'll just hit them with the car door, with the bumper, and hope they don't run them over."


 


Of course it works both ways; sometimes they run down their own men:



The "Benny Hill" version:



Next they'll be running down suspects and then Tasering their broken bodies.





[edit on 20-3-2008 by goosdawg]



posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
that's considered use of deadly force on an un armed suspect. that cop should be thrown in prison for that stupid act.. if the suspect used a car to hit a cop he would definately be charged with assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer and most likely shot dead on the spot with everything all 5 officers had to unload into his body. the best part is that karma certainly plowed over that cop on foot
man that karma is a MOFO.



posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ironman433
 


My sentiments exactly, ironman433! That Karma can be a real WITCH,
when it comes around... Star! And Stars for all!

Boy, i was fuming, but i'm all better now, thanks to you guys.

GOOSDAWG- Benny Hill? I love it! ( humming the theme ).



posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
This really goes beyond being lazy. After watching the video of the guy who was being chased through an apartment complex I saw a few things that really disturbed me. Let's just remove the whole criminal aspect of it all.

In the one video, the cop is chasing after a suspect in his car. He hits the suspect, but he does not fall. Instead he regains his balance and continues to run in between some buildings... This is where I see the most messed up thing about it all. As the man runs you see innocent bystanders and children running out of the way of the police car. Towards the end of the video you even see the police car heading straight towards the apartment complex playground, and two more people sitting in the playground jumping up to get out of the way.

So now not only is it ok to hit suspects with your car (which btw is considered deadly force when a suspect rams a police officer or a police car using a vehicle) if you just happen to run over Joe Schmo cause he is in the way then that is ok too. The police say these are "isolated incidents" however of the two videos one is from Columbia SC and the other from Greenwood SC which is about 100 miles away from each other or about an hour and 45 min drive. Both incidents involved Highway Patrol Officers. So is this an "isolated incident" or is this becoming standard operating procedure?

I am just so sick of police anymore. Things are just flat out ridiculous. I am currently going through a DUI case myself because after getting into an accident and cracking my head into a windshield, I was apparently (according to the police report) on "unsteady legs" and of course I failed the field sobriety test. Who could ever imagine that after smashing your head into a windshield and breaking the glass that you would not be able to stand on one leg?



posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I am just so sick of police anymore. Things are just flat out ridiculous. I am currently going through a DUI case myself because after getting into an accident and cracking my head into a windshield, I was apparently (according to the police report) on "unsteady legs" and of course I failed the field sobriety test. Who could ever imagine that after smashing your head into a windshield and breaking the glass that you would not be able to stand on one leg?


Sorry MrWendal but your admitting that your going through a DUI case, and the field sobriety portion your talking about may have been unfair to you, but I'm guessing your BAC (blood or breath..maybe they took both) came back over a point .08 (you failed to mention that part)....which means you were driving drunk and crashed...and that could of been a car full of kids or innocent family you ran into...sorry bud, no sympathy from me for you!!!! How is the fact that you knowingly drove under the influence our fault as police????

It amazes me how people will push and push and push the blame just to make themselves feel victimized these days...


[edit on 3/21/2008 by rcwj75]



posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be something, if the cops put that much effort into chasing
down the liars, cheats, & war criminals who run the U.S.A.?



posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
This really goes beyond being lazy. After watching the video of the guy who was being chased through an apartment complex I saw a few things that really disturbed me.


This is great cop work. Get the bum off the street as fast as possible. Hit'em with anything, get'em down. I would prefer just shooting anyone who runs. Very soon, no one would run. That would make arrests faster and get more crimminals off the streets faster.

Heck I like "drones" with missles and rail guns. During a car chase just send down a little "hellfire" and soon no more car chases........


Crime would soon stop altogether........terminal railgun fire for "j-walking". That's it..........


apc

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime
... and get more crimminals off the streets faster.

You got that right. There'd be a lot more dead cops.

Deadly force against an unarmed suspect absent disparity is murder.
Fry the bacon.



posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FRIGHTENER
 


I actually agree with you here....it would be great to lock up the scum in DC and in most of our state capitals since all they do is break laws, and destroy this country...but we all know they got us between a rock and hard place. These days politics IS above the law...



posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime
 


Whatever happened to "stop or I'll shoot"?

Or am I just going by Hollywood movies?

As much as I disagree with some of the cops out there and the way they do things, I have to agree that a fleeing person looses their rights.

And if you're scared that the cop is going to beat you up or falsely arrest you for something, buy a $30 voice recorder. I did.



posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal
 



Leave it to the police to show up just in time to make the situation worse. This was a crime committed by the police. I hope those jerks fry.



posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
Sorry MrWendal but your admitting that your going through a DUI case, and the field sobriety portion your talking about may have been unfair to you, but I'm guessing your BAC (blood or breath..maybe they took both) came back over a point .08 (you failed to mention that part)....which means you were driving drunk and crashed...and that could of been a car full of kids or innocent family you ran into...sorry bud, no sympathy from me for you!!!! How is the fact that you knowingly drove under the influence our fault as police????

It amazes me how people will push and push and push the blame just to make themselves feel victimized these days...


[edit on 3/21/2008 by rcwj75]


HAHAHAHAHA I just love it sometimes. The way a cop comes along with all the answers to justify the actions of law enforcement when in reality you know nothing about the actual case. Since you asked though I will go ahead and give you a few details. There was no blood test nor any breath test. I was not drunk and in fact had not been drinking. So thank you for the lecture on the dangers of drunk driving, and I care not about your sympathy or anyone else's. From the start of my interaction with the officer I was thinking like a defense attorney. I'm the kind of guy who does not care if you lock me up for a few days because I take a lot of pleasure in making Officer Friendly look like an idiot when I have my day in court. I do not speak to Officer Friendly, I volenteer no information. I am very polite and I will submit to any fair request, but I know how Officer Friendly is and "friendly" he is not. I also know my rights which tends to really upset Officer Friendly. You can however sleep well tonight knowing that if I was driving under the influence of anything, I would have plead guilty and took some responsibility for my own actions. Some people in this country actually do that. So thank you for passing judgment on me, I would expect nothing less from you Officer Friendly.

Back on topic: I do not have too much sympathy for a guy who is running from the cops either, however without knowing the circumstances of the stop or why the guy was running I won't pass judgment. Maybe the guy was running cause he raped a women, maybe he was running cause he was afraid and with good reason. We just don't know. Regardless, hitting someone with a car is deadly force. So what did this person do that required deadly force?

Aside from that, what about the innocents? What about the people in the playground? What about the people who were between the buildings, in the grass, playing with their kids who had to run out of the way of this police cruiser? What would you be saying if the grass was wet and the cop's car slid into those same kids?

[edit on 22-3-2008 by MrWendal]



posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
HAHAHAHAHA I just love it sometimes. The way a cop comes along with all the answers to justify the actions of law enforcement when in reality you know nothing about the actual case. Since you asked though I will go ahead and give you a few details. There was no blood test nor any breath test. I was not drunk and in fact had not been drinking. So thank you for the lecture on the dangers of drunk driving, and I care not about your sympathy or anyone else's. From the start of my interaction with the officer I was thinking like a defense attorney. I'm the kind of guy who does not care if you lock me up for a few days because I take a lot of pleasure in making Officer Friendly look like an idiot when I have my day in court. I do not speak to Officer Friendly, I volenteer no information. I am very polite and I will submit to any fair request, but I know how Officer Friendly is and "friendly" he is not. I also know my rights which tends to really upset Officer Friendly. You can however sleep well tonight knowing that if I was driving under the influence of anything, I would have plead guilty and took some responsibility for my own actions. Some people in this country actually do that. So thank you for passing judgment on me, I would expect nothing less from you Officer Friendly.


Well one of two things here, your either lying out your you know what or you should be in line to recieve a VERY hefty civil suit check. But I'm guessing your full of it. There is NO way the court system will have even set up a court date for you for a DUI WITHOUT a BAC result in the officers report by the drawing of blood or breath test. IT WON'T HAPPEN! There is no probable cause to even arrest you after an accident without testing your BAC unless it was a pure criminal act like hit & run, or fleeing the scene of an accident etc...so something about your story isn't making sence
Maybe your hate for us has made you disalussioned about what really happened that night!


Back on topic: I do not have too much sympathy for a guy who is running from the cops either, however without knowing the circumstances of the stop or why the guy was running I won't pass judgment. Maybe the guy was running cause he raped a women, maybe he was running cause he was afraid and with good reason. We just don't know. Regardless, hitting someone with a car is deadly force. So what did this person do that required deadly force?


Now I will actually agree with you here. I don't think hitting him with the car was right, UNLESS this suspect was involved in a forcible felony..(i.e. an armed robbery, murder, rape, shooting, etc..) The patrol car shouldn't be used to mow over people....unless its TRULY neccessary....I can get on board with that


Aside from that, what about the innocents? What about the people in the playground? What about the people who were between the buildings, in the grass, playing with their kids who had to run out of the way of this police cruiser? What would you be saying if the grass was wet and the cop's car slid into those same kids?


I'd be saying the officer would of needed to use his head more and considered the safety of those out in public compared to the importance of catching this criminal. Don't forget though...its the criminal who chooses to run and cause the danger to the public by forcing us to chase him. Does that excuse all of our actions during that chase...of course not and we have to use caution...but lets face it who puts the public at greater risk...the CRIMINAL with nothing to lose and obviously no care in the world for anyone else, who runs and can't dirve or is high or under the influence and can't react etc etc....

[edit on 3/22/2008 by rcwj75]



posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Careful, alot of the stories about Cop behavior are being pushed into belowtopsecret.com - at least that's what happened when I posted the thread about the Cops tasering and killing a 17 year old.

I saw a report yesterday about police ramming suspects with their car... suspects that are on foot... suspects that apparently die once in a while...

And we call these men authority figures? Cowards.



posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
Well one of two things here, your either lying out your you know what or you should be in line to recieve a VERY hefty civil suit check. But I'm guessing your full of it. There is NO way the court system will have even set up a court date for you for a DUI WITHOUT a BAC result in the officers report by the drawing of blood or breath test. IT WON'T HAPPEN! There is no probable cause to even arrest you after an accident without testing your BAC unless it was a pure criminal act like hit & run, or fleeing the scene of an accident etc...so something about your story isn't making sence
Maybe your hate for us has made you disalussioned about what really happened that night!

[edit on 3/22/2008 by rcwj75]


Wow. So because you do not feel that a charge of DUI can happen without a test of some kind I am automatically full of it? I must ask, are you just a judgmental person or has your time as a police officer and seeing low lifes day in and day out influenced you in such a way that everyone is automatically compared to the "criminals"?

#1. You can not tell me that a person can not be charged with DUI if there is no test of some type. You can't tell me that cause I am going through it. If you would like u2u me I will give you my cell phone number and I will read the police report to you. This is how it works... all Officer Friendly has to say is.."I smelled alcohol". If it does not work that way in your state....that's wonderful. In my state, that is how it works. Since Officer Friendly says he smelled alcohol, and I did fail the field sobriety test, he can and did arrest me for DUI.

#2. My accident was at 8:00am not at night. There was no hit and run. I never left the scene. I checked on the other driver and sat on the side of the road and waited. I could not have run if I wanted to, the car was totaled. The battery and main fuse box were in pieces from the impact.

#3. At what point did I say I hated police? Hate is a very strong word and I find it amazing that you could sit there and tell me what it is that I feel. Maybe you should become the next Dr. Phil.

Fact is I do not hate police officers. I do distrust police officers and I feel with very good reason. It has always been my experience that police think they know it all and jump to conclusions without having all the facts. Your responses and attacks to my post really illustrate that as well. Just look at all the conclusions you have jumped to in an attempt to justify the actions of another Officer that you know nothing about, but because he is an Officer he is automatically in the right and is given the "benefit of the doubt" which is a luxury that your average citizen does not get regardless of their background. However we all know there are such things as "bad cops". You have said so yourself, so knowing that "bad cops" do exist why would you be so quick to give another Officer you know nothing about the benefit of the doubt?

I really do not care to derail this thread any further than we both already have so I do invite you to U2U me and we can continue this discussion. I find it very interesting to say the least.



posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
thats how cops are insane never trust a cop.thell taze you 81 times or shoot you 29 times of you have a small razor.

Dont worry im sure he will get paid vacation and a bonus and a promotion for this they all do.



posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75
 


Not taking a side in this, but I do want to point out a fact. In the state of Arkansas, a BAC is not required. It is often administered after the arrest, at the police station, but is not mandatory for the arrest or even a conviction.

Often, in reverse of what one would think logical, the person accused of DUI or Public Drunk, has to prove somehow that they could not have been intoxicated; a near impossibility. The judgment of the officer is construed as fact unless the defendant proves his innocence. A clear case where the court doesn't have to prove guilt, simply assert it, and it stands except in the rare instance of arresting a nun who has multiple witnesses to having only had sacramental wine while in mass.



posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
Not taking a side in this, but I do want to point out a fact. In the state of Arkansas, a BAC is not required. It is often administered after the arrest, at the police station, but is not mandatory for the arrest or even a conviction.

Often, in reverse of what one would think logical, the person accused of DUI or Public Drunk, has to prove somehow that they could not have been intoxicated; a near impossibility. The judgment of the officer is construed as fact unless the defendant proves his innocence. A clear case where the court doesn't have to prove guilt, simply assert it, and it stands except in the rare instance of arresting a nun who has multiple witnesses to having only had sacramental wine while in mass.


WOW....well I have been a LEO in PA and now in GA and in both states you NEED a BAC from either a breath test or a blood sample. Simply saying "I think he was drunk" doesn't cut it. Also in an accident like Wendel a blood draw is required if you suspect they are under the influence because it may not be alcohol that is making them impared.

So to MrWendel I do apaologize if thats the case. I have NO experiance with a "the cop said he was drunk" state. I even find that completly absurd. There are people with diabetes and other health problems that equal the effects of being DUI. Hence why I thought I was sure a BAC from breath or blood was mandatory in ALL states. So since it is not, I will be the first to agree it should be!!!!! Thats the only RIGHT way to hook someone up for DUI in my opinion....and since DUI is a serious offense and comes with hefty fines, loss of lisence, etc...it should be mandatory in all states!

*NOTE*: This doesn't go for the people who refuse the testing. Once you refuse I am a an advocate of arresting a refusal, because driving is a privilege not a right. IMO



new topics

top topics



 
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join