It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States Hand Over the DNA of Newborns to DHS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

States Hand Over the DNA of Newborns to DHS

www.blacklistednews.com

Unknown to most new parents, or those who became parents in the last ten or so years, DNA of newborns has been harvested, tested, stored and experimented with by all 50 states. And all 50 states are now routinely providing these results to the Homeland Security Department.
....Also unknown to at least the new parents in Minnesota, is that once that 45 days has lapsed, the state now claims that they “own” the DNA of that child.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This is a scary thought. The fact that the states are testing these samples particularly has me worried. My wife and I just had our son 16 months ago. The only test that they did was called a PKU card which is mandatory in NY. but this is not done without you knowing. Although it is mandatory.
How is it that the State can claim ownership of your child's DNA? That sounds criminal to me. They might as well say they actually own your child! When will states stop trying to meddle in every personal affair. Usually for genetic testing, it is a request from the parents, not mandatory from the state. Pretty weird thing happening here.
My biggest question is why does DHS need the DNA and what are they going to do with it?
Sounds fishy to me.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit for spelling

[edit on 3/19/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Is the DHS in charge of the Real ID as well? Not sure what they would do with the blood and dna information between now and the next time their dna ends up at a crime scene though.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

How scary is that though? Already assuming someone's DNA may be at a crime scene? that is sad. I think they may be part of RFID as you say. Check out this article though as well about RFID.

HB 686 bans the implantation of RFID (radio frequency identification ) chips in humans and requires a notification label on any product that contains them. It also bars the state from using the devices in drivers licenses, license plates and E-ZPass transponders.

RFID turned down

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
There has to be a way somehow to legally force consent or at least be compensated for DNA samples taken.

As each individuals DNA is distinct and unique, could you file a patent against your own genetic code to state that you legally own the intellectual property rights and can make a claim for royalties based on samples taken?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This does not surprise me. Hospitals tend to be proprietary and hide behind the Law as an excuse to cattle-herd patients into doing whatever they or the States deem necessary or expedient.

When our child was born we refused the Hep B shot and would not allow him out of our sight. He stayed in the room the entire time except during the circumcision and then my husband went with him.

We were harrassed constantly by nurses to take him to the nursery "so you can sleep" and we had to sign a special form to have him released from the hospital without the Hep B shot.

We delayed all vaccinations for three months and then only did them one per visit. We put off the MMR until absolutely required for school purposes. The pediatrician harrassed us constantly about the shots as well.

[edit on 19/3/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
With that many in the bank I wonder what the percentage is for error? That would really be a mess if in the future they use against the youth. Dispicable! I hope this is urban legend.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

That is a great question. I wonder if anyone has tried that before. I work in a genetics lab. I am going to ask around and see if anyone has heard of such a thing. My guess would be no though. Pretty good idea you have.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Thats a bummer about the E-Z Pass... But oh well, it was in bad company. That would scare me away from crime though; Knowing even though I have no criminal record my personal information is being recorded the same way as a criminals would be. It was really only a matter of time with this technology before this thing started up.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I don't know about everyone else, but have you ever donated blood? Do you honestly think that all that blood you give actually gets used for the intended purpose? We have a blood drive at least twice a week at my hospital. People just line up to donate. Their compensation is a movie ticket and a snack. WHOOPIE!!!! Once you give, you never know where that blood is going to end up. That is a scary thought as well.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The "selling" points will be identification, for the betterment of all, and "no child left behind". The actuality being... (?)

Current and future technologies Log, or Will, every birth and or individual. It's there, Now, in place, and there's little one can do to deny or subvert such. Whatcha gonna do?

Newborn foot and finger prints were once a one-and-done physical record... now they're digitized and added to the Mix for inclusion into The...

With regards to the complacency of the masses, "We"'ve already been Considered, Had and Placed.... imo. +/- What? Honestly. Denial would seem little more than a whispering succumbrance... at this point.

Sad!? Yeah.

Welcome, Neo. You've been here longer than you realize... imo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing concrete, just overall thoughts and or opinions.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I remember my Mom flipping out when I was a kid because my brother and I were fingerprinted at school, without parental consent. Of course the teachers told us BS like it was to make sure we never got kidnapped. My Mom never did get the prints back from them either, but instead got investigated by CPS until a family friend called the dogs off.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Hey jack,
The same thing happened to me as a kid. The only difference was they told us is was to "just get the experince of being fingerprinted". Yeah. Funny how they do it when you are at an age that things like that seem cool. Now when I think about it, very uncool.

Parents really need to bare down and pay attention to what is really being done to their children.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
I don't know about everyone else, but have you ever donated blood? Do you honestly think that all that blood you give actually gets used for the intended purpose?

Hah, that's certainly -possible- but it is not being done to my knowledge.

Having worked in the laboratory field, I'd have seen it. Samples are stored for a week or two, no longer than a month then dumped into contam. materials boxes. This yuckky mess, which includes decanted waste blood from testing is incinerated.

Some samples, such as persons with very rare phenotypes are frozen and stored for up to 10 years, but those are used to help screen blood for that individual's own use, in the event they have a surgery. There's limited freezer storage space and limited space in general, so no room for any other non-essential stuff.

Some samples or sera are also stored for use as 'rare antisera' if a person has a rare blood type. But no samples were sent out to any other agencies.

Patients and previous donors who are known to have rare antibodies do come in to have blood drawn, which is sold by them for profit to larger corporations to make into commercial antisera, but they do this voluntarily.

Maybe some day, but right now the work load in hospital labs is -horrendous- people are quitting, retiring and going to other professions it's so bad. There's just no time to be separating out samples to be sent out for DNA and then stored in your average hospital.

HTH.

top topics

join