It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why can humans only use 11% of there brains

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Interesting studies of people who've had partial or complete hemispherectomies - physical loss of part or all of one of the cerebral hemispheres. In a number of cases they pretty much are able to function normally after some relearning, physiotherapy, etc.

Information and abilities are cross-referred throughout the brain. Those old maps where one area controls smell, another digestive functions, etc - are all simplistic.

An interesting function of the brain, not always realized, is to filter out information and constantly do editing so we can focus on a reasonable amount of information and sensory stimuli. If we had to bring into play everything we've read, seen, heard, all at once our systems would crash through the overload.

We keep only a tiny percentage of experience and knowledge is active memory. Maybe the so-called unused 90% is sort of backup storage where we can go to retrieve data and programs required for special circumstances.

Most people who study brain functions after years have a similar conclusion. The more you learn about the brain the more mysterious it seems.

Mike F

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
The RH factor in your blood has to do with your heratige more than anything. The positives mean you get two dominate genes negative means you only got one.

O rh factors are the most common and it is the recessive one so that is why you get mostly negative rh factors. Say dad is A+ and mom is A- the kid could be A- or A+ cause dad is only passing on an A but mom can send and O or A. That is the way it works

White people are more likely to have A's in there Black people B's Native americans O's and Asians usually pull off A's and B's and AB very regular which is not to say that there is not genetic diversity even in the groups because ever race has every factor at some percentage but the tech is no new that we are not sure about weather every race always had every type and environment weeded out one over another or if inter breading contributed to some of the genetic diversity.

As far as the brain goes you can make it all day without using 100 percent of your leg musle but the is not to say you could not use it if you wanted to. The way our brains are made the core of our brain is like a reptiles then we started adding on parts till we got where we are today. Dogs stopped shorter than we did put are much further than reptiles if you get my meaning the smarter the animal the more that has been added on since the reptile days. If there are parts of our brain we don't use it is because they are just evolving but we use most of it, like the heart it is always working but some more than others.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
hmmmm
why was i tought as a child that we use about 4% maybe 5 at best?
i do not think our brain activity has doubled in the recent years!

By the way my numbers fit better current reality. If we were able to make more usage of our smart stuff world would be a better place!

MUCH BETTER !!!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
There are some really great studies out recently about us actually using all of the brain...Ill find the article and post it tomorrow. I think there is something in my text book about it too.

The world isnt a better place because of our selfish choices, not because of smartness. You could be the smartest person in the world and be making terrible choices on how to use the knowledge you may have for gaining for selfish reasons or if you have morals, with your knowledge, then we can work on making the world a better place. We still have many battles, as a species of many cultures, to overcome, before our intelligence will be used in a prime united way for all, not just some.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
The deaf dumb and blind kids sure play a mean pinball though.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT ever call deaf dumb again. The deaf people doesn't like to be called deaf dumb. It's from my experience with them.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It's not just a bunch of theories. Here in these new forms of communications simplicity in that same percentage is used. You threw away the pencil and thought it more easier to type. Then, the pictures of letters and a stylus. C'mon people 11% interaction is all you get from humans.

Say, they are not stupid, just droll.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jdinaz

It is my understanding (and I will look for a link for confirmation) that we can and do use 100% of our brain; however, we can only use a certain percentage of the brain at any given time. This is because different parts of the brain control different functions/thought processes and our brains would misfire if these regions did not operate independent of one another.

EDIT: to add links to support this.

www.geekwithlaptop.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.zmescience.com...

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
...to use the knowledge you may have for gaining for selfish reasons...

Well this is not actually a derivation from smart people or developed brains.
Its the remains of a miseducated underdeveloped in spirit personality. A personality that does not sustain it self by personal work and effort but rather sustained on using that of others. Not only such personalities are the reason humanity is walking two steps ahead while making another one or two in the oposite direction but they are also the proprietors of our spiritual immaturity.
They are a plague to the world which has ended in having this behaviour as a standard... Such behaviour does not train the mind nor the spirit and is far from the 11% as speculated brain actiity as they are narrowed by selfish goals.
Goals that only look into making life easy tending to an underdeveloped mind.
A mind needs exercise and the practise of relying on others does not allow for the challenge of its evolution.

Just my two trillion cents but it will be worth more if you really get the picture.

(Spare me the 11% . I wish we actually used 4)

George

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

I give you 4......"spare me". You seem to see it though. Is it true, that the human race, because of that pathology, is behind in human mental growth?
That the humans that we run into today need a law called "no child left behind" so that this latent pathology is addressed.
I mean what are the odds? You come to a world full of humans, hell I thought they had it aced, but there you have it, 2k yrs worth of life in the books and there it is "no child left behind" law.

DAMNED THAT 11%!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
My boyfriend lived in india for a year, and he told me some incredible stories.

He said there are methods of meditation in which you can hallucinate as though you are on a drug, you can see into the future, etc. , all by simply concentrating with meditation.

He said one man he met in the desert was asking him for money, and he gave him some, and the man picked up a pile of sand and put it in his hand, and when he opened his hand back up it was a pile of black ash.

People can do incredible things with their mind when they really try to use it.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jdinaz

not sure about anything but i was watching timewarp and it said that your brain increases about 3% if you learn how to juggle
juggle things like chainsaws and such

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Do you think the koreans minds have improved toward 11% since 2006? The missle at least went some where this time. I guess at a 11% they'll understand where.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
11% of our brains are made up of cells which we call "neurons". The other 89% is made of of supporting cells, mostly "gluons" and blood vessels, which feed the neurons the chemicals they need to function.

We use 100% of our brains. End topic.

O-315

[edit on 8-4-2009 by organism315]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join