It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposal: "Book reviews" board

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I think it would be a good idea if there were a board where members could discuss - in depth, if so desired - the newest (or oldest ; )) books about the topics covered here.

Perhaps it would even better if each board had such a "sub-board", so that those interested in "time travel", for example, wouldn't have to wade through reviews about "conspiracies" or "alternative health care" or any topics that they don't find particularly interesting.

It would be much better than just reading the reviews on Amazon, for example, because people could actually debate about specific points in any given review.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
As a bookworm myself and the fact that there is no forum for it, even in BTS, I'd have agree with you that there is a vacuum here.

On the other hand (and I hate to admit it), books are so passe with a majority who rather prefer online quotes and links when TV isn't occupying their attention.

It's a fact that books seem to be falling in popularity. Too bad, for both the book industry and those, like us, who value having such treasures at our fingertips.

Good topic and I hope the discussion bears fruit of some kind.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
A book board would work if there was one inl ATS, BTS and PTS. There are plenty of books on each topic that i am sure members would like to look into.

I know i personally would enjoy the board existing as a helpful guide for next time i go to the bookstore i can check what members are enjoying.

Great idea.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
There is a forum on BTS, Literature Discussion, where you could do this.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

On the other hand (and I hate to admit it), books are so passe with a majority who rather prefer online quotes and links when TV isn't occupying their attention.

Very true.
But I think that affects mostly fiction - not books about "alternative" subjects such as those discussed here.

Anyway, I am glad I see people agreeing with it.
Maybe something will come out of it, after all.
I really think it would take off.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Oh - thanks!
I wasn't aware of its existence.

(I still think it would be good to make it much more conspicuous and focused.)

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

Absolutely.
And it's so much better to be able to read - or participate in - actual discussions and explore all the angles of a book.

It would also educate people and motivate them to read.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I stand corrected. The Literature Forum is something I should have thought of. Shows you how big this website is and I've been here since '04.

There's fiction and then there's information.

Case in point: Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine - The Rise of Disaster Capitalism

It's a book every conspiracy theorist ought to have sitting on their bedside table, right beside Dreams, Memories, Reflections.

[edit on 19/3/08 by masqua]

[edit on 19/3/08 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Great Idea!!!!

We need to get back to the basics of book reading. What is everyone going to do when they censor the internet so much it will be back to the way it was even just 20 years ago. The net is great, but books are really where it's at!
I hope this does come about. Great thread Vanitas. Flagged

[edit on 3/19/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Why thanks, Palehorse.

I am glad others share this idea.

So... let's get busy, shall we? ;-)

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
One things for sure:

If people think they can get a clear picture of something in the internet, they´re wrong.

Books are more condensed, more expert, with less clutter and noise to distract.

I like your idea, but I dont think its going to get a new forum because you can post a thread to discuss a book or use the existing forum.

top topics

join