It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Zeptepi -- laser scanners and engravings

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeptepi
Thanks for link, Those are very impressive photos!

Wow, I think all of those items should have a scan survey done of them.

I would like to someday travel west to witness the incredible legacies those folks left us!

This thread has genuinely sparked an interest with me in the archiving of these glyphs, thanks.

Archiving and recording them is actually a fairly important task. As far as I know, even the better known sites may not be fully documented (each element identified and photographed.) There are a number of sites in your general area that may be pretty accessible to you... and this IS an activity that can be done by any interested amateur. It doesn't take any degrees, and most of the workers who help monitor the sites have no formal training in archaeology or anthropology.

Getting permission to do a scan of this rock, for instance, might make some of the details clearer:
ohsweb.ohiohistory.org...

And apparently there *may* be some Viking (maybe) sites there?
www.rock-art.com...

www.petroglyphs.us...

And here's someone who did a "specialization" collection of birds in rock art:
wildbirdsbroadcasting.blogspot.com...

Okay... I'll quit dangling information tidbits now, but if you (or anyone else) is interested in doing field work photographing and documenting rock art, I'll be glad to show you how to get started. Avocational rock art researchers are welcome (particularly since they can help monitor sites) and some of them do get published in the local archaeological journals.

And since we're about the same age, I can also tease you with "it's NEVER too late!"

<< 1   >>

join