It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia now has #1 fighter plane in the world... SU-30-

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
Just an aside question. How often is the "stall and hover" feature of vector thrusting going to be useful in air to air engagements? Seems more or an airshow feature than a combat feature. I assume it will allow for tighter turns, quick changes of direction etc, but they always want to show videos of these kind of jets nose up in the air hovering. While that is impressive, I don't see the use of it.

You know, that's exactly what I was thinking. Now I'm no avionics expert, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I'm just not getting how these apparent low speed "tricks" and maneuverability are going to help avoid an incoming missile going Mach whatever. Anyone care to enlighten me on that aspect? Otherwise, give me the F22 and it's stealth attributes.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedBaron
It says S-37 not Su-37. These are two different aricraft.

The Russians have a confounding way of switiching alot of designations around. The Su-47, S-32 and the S-37 are all the same a/c

The Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut (Russian: Су-47 Беркут - Golden Eagle), also designated S-32 and S-37 during initial development, is an experimental supersonic jet fighter developed by Sukhoi Aviation Corporation.
en.wikipedia.org...

For Sukhoi the "S" designation as opposed to SU means experimental liek the US X Planes

[edit on 3/20/08 by FredT]

[edit on 3/20/08 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfinguru
Otherwise, give me the F22 and it's stealth attributes.

I agree 100%.
Oh, and for the record, the F22 can also do the 'stall & hover' trick due to its positive thrust to weight ratio.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
With 135 Raptors, the USAF could probably defeat China, Russia and anyone elses air forces combined....and that is not meant to be a joke.

If you read the stats of the F-22's against F-15's and F-16's in Red Flag and another exercise in Alaska, it is amazing. The Raptors simply do not get defeated. I am not saying this because I am a homer for the US. The 22 is an absolutely extraordinary plane. While there have been a few defeats in exercises, it was due to equipment failure or pilot error.

The Russian fighter can do flips...whoopdie dooo. The Raptor can shoot you out of the sky and you will never even know it was there. That is the scary part about it......stealthy, and the ability to attack from very long ranges.

I really wonder if we will actually see it dogfighting against an enemy force. Do any of you think that this will happen anytime in the near future? The only people I would think that would even attempt to would be Iran, Russia and China, but that seems very unlikely. Iran would just get obliterated, and I dont see us going to war with Russia or China.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I have to say that the airframe for the SU-30 is a refined SU-27 an airframe that is nearly 30 years old. And to address the source of this information bobandsylvia, are they the editors of Janes Defence Weekly or Aviation Week and Space Technology?

Didn't think so.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
the latest model Flanker is not the Su-30, its the Su-35 and this model will shortly enter service with the Russian air force, although outwardly the same as previous raptors it is a major upgrade with a new wing, new engines and all new systems, still not stealthy though.

Maybe this is what the OP meant to refer to?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
There is 91 Raptors active and 187 planned. I'm sure that number will increase when they start phasing out some of the older F-15s. We will have allot of F-35s in a few years.
We also cant forget the heavyweight king of the ring, This champion comes in with 100 wins all by knock out with no loses and will take on any Russian plane any day with the odds being in his favor. Turn your speakers up for this one.

video.google.com...

video.google.com...

[edit on 20-3-2008 by Sky watcher]

[edit on 20-3-2008 by Sky watcher]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Thanks for the vid's!
That's some cool stuff right there!

Gotta love the F-15.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Guys I flew numerous test missions in the early 90's and the STOL F-15 could do all that and more. It had square vectored nozzles and could go from Mach one to stall speed in a matter of seconds take off in less than 1500'.It was an amazing plane to watch. Imagine full speed thrust reversing, chase planes could not hang with those guys. It was a beautiful plane as well red white and blue paint scheme. Below is a link if you want to know more.

rds.yahoo.com...=A0S020ypyeJHBMwAGVGjzbkF/SIG=12nq9dn97/EXP=1206131497/**http%3A//www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news/FactSheets/FS-048-DFRC.htm l

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamsnatcher

Well, at least the U.S. did not just change the paint on that F-15 and start calling it the F-25, or something. That sounds exactly like what the Russians are doing with all these planes.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

You know, that's exactly what I was thinking. Now I'm no avionics expert, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I'm just not getting how these apparent low speed "tricks" and maneuverability are going to help avoid an incoming missile going Mach whatever. Anyone care to enlighten me on that aspect? Otherwise, give me the F22 and it's stealth attributes.

Bingo there you nailed it on the head.
These kind of stunts (and thats what they are) arn't going to mean much.
In the real world it's shoot and scoot.
Someone earlier posted also a plane going from mach 1 to stall speed in a matter of seconds. What!
The pilots eyeballs would be on the windshield.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Really there is no need for the F-22. Between the F-15, F-16 and A-10 there isnt anyone out there that can mess with us. I suppose the 22 has elements of all of them combined, and correct me if im wrong, is the replacement for the F-15.....that may be the F-35 though.

You cannot deny the awesomeness of the Raptor though....check this vid out.

video.google.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Except that the YOUNGEST F-15s are 25 1/2 years old. They're literally falling out of the sky. They have lost something like seven of them in training accidents in the last year. A total of 21% of the F-16 fleet is grounded with fuselage cracks. 3% of the older aircraft, and 18% of the newer aircraft. The A-10 is a ground attack aircraft only that if it tried to do air to air work would get its head handed to it. It doesn't even have a radar in it and relies strictly on AWACS for information about what's going on.

I did a thread about fighter purchases with the US military and their age. It had some scary information in it. For several years the USAF bought NO new fighters. None at all.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3/20/2008 by Zaphod58]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Except that the YOUNGEST F-15s are 25 1/2 years old. They're literally falling out of the sky. They have lost something like seven of them in training accidents in the last year. A total of 21% of the F-16 fleet is grounded with fuselage cracks. 3% of the older aircraft, and 18% of the newer aircraft. The A-10 is a ground attack aircraft only that if it tried to do air to air work would get its head handed to it. It doesn't even have a radar in it and relies strictly on AWACS for information about what's going on.

I did a thread about fighter purchases with the US military and their age. It had some scary information in it. For several years the USAF bought NO new fighters. None at all.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3/20/2008 by Zaphod58]

Yeah, you are right.....I really didnt take into account how old the entire fleet is really. These days though, do you really need a bad ass air to air superiority fighter? When was the last dogfight against an enemy Air Force?

I guess it is kinda like our ICBM's....just to let our enemies, that if they really want to act up, we have something for them. I love the F-22, but dont really know much about the F-35. Is the 22 replacing the 15 and the 35 replacing the 16?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The No 30 Squadron "Rhinos" of the Indian Air Force is equipped with Su-30MK 1, Bort numbers in the range SB041, SB042.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The F-35 was supposed to replace the F-16 and A-10 in one platform. The F-22 is replacing SOME of the F-15s with some of the younger upgraded F-15s playing backstop to them.

As for a dedicated air to air platform, what do you think the F-15 is? It began life as a dedicated air to air platform, then was heavily modified into the F-15E which is the fighter-bomber version. It's also a very capable air to air platform. You always need some kind of dedicated air to air platform if for noting else than base defense/bomber intercept.

The problem with multimission aircraft is that they tend to fall into the "jack of all trades master of none" category too many times. You get a platform that does many things, but it doesn't do any of them WELL because it's doing too much.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Originally posted by tomcat ha
It may be allround the best fighter in the world (F22 is just too expensive)

No it is not, produce it in large numbers and see if unit price does not drop under 100 million. These advanced Su-Whatever are going for 60 million a pop.

Also, this belongs in the Aircraft Forum.

If loads of SU's get produced the same happens aswell no?

However currently the price different is still quite huge.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
However currently the price different is still quite huge.

So is the difference in capability, if not more so, you get what you pay for.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
As an f-15E mechanic(Weapons Loader), you can sleep at night knowing NOTHING comes close to that plane in performance and capability. So what if a plane can do somersaults, spin on a dime etc. Lot of good that does you when an AMRAAM or AIM-9X pegs your but from XXX-miles away. The radar package on that jet is phenominal. In fact NATO TLP missions are a joke as the E-model has to turn her radar off when playing to level the field.
The F-22 will be(future) a great jet but when you have to fire up the entire ramp to get 2 sorties....well lets just say it'll be awhile before the mighty Eagle takes a backseat to anything.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Yup. That's what I said before but in more words.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join