It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

787 Delays - Sept 2009 EIS likely

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
the same airlines that are demanding the -10 NOW are the sme ones which forced airbus to scrap the original A350 and make the A350 XWB , but airbus could do that because the A350 was a `paper airplane` whereas the first 8 pre production 787`s are on the line being *slowly* made.

and i do concur that 2010 at least for EIS

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

RP, I was refering TO any variant of the 787. 2010 at best assuming NO more issues. The -10 is still on the drawing board or rather Catia screen at Renton

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
This is such a great thread, thanks everyone!

While I don't have engineering experience, I do have a fairly basic understanding of what's implied by the phrase 'wingbox', and the requirement for it to be a substancial component of the structure, and the need for strength, while trying to design out any unneeded weight.

I have thousands of hours on the B727, and the DC-9/MD-80....and there were many times I looked at the HZ, up there on the T-Tail, and thought (well, they designed it, it must be OK)...we understood the mechanism, the STAB trim system. [problem with Alaska MD-80 some years ago, but we know why] What I always wondered, is how strong would the Vertical Fin need to be, in order to support the Horizontal? Well, guess it was fine, since I never heard of a B727 or DC-9/MD-80 tail breaking off. Especially interesting, when you consider the weight of the engines, and the APU, all so far aft, yet the aerodynamics still worked out, the C/G and C/L stayed within range.

Goes against conventional wisdom, but still worked!

WW

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

Royal Jordanian Airlines is expecting a delay of up to 30 months for the introduction of its first Boeing 787 as a result of the production setbacks recently disclosed by the airframer.

2 1/2 year delay is :O

thats right into the A350 XWB launch

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Dreamliner 3 final assembly is under way. They say this is the fastest assembly to date. It's about 65% less assembly required than the second aircraft, which was less required than the first.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Zaph....LOL!! 'Dreamliner'!!! Like you're the Boeing Spokesperson!!!

Not being sarcastic, it just tickled my funny bone...

Oh...wait! ARE you the Boeing Spokesperson?!??

(Oh no! There goes my job application!!!!!)

Please, please accept my application!!! I promise, I'll toe the line....

WW

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Sorry for replying to such an old post.

Did the 'rollout' fly yet?
Not yet.

Scroll down a little bit to see the state of the rollout aircraft as of April 25.

Jon Ostrower's FlightBlogger

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Boone 870

You know what? I got a 'warn'....and I asked for it!! Guess what? It's not from this thread....

It's from some Mod I've never heard of before!

What did I do? I sent a U2U!

I'll appeal to the three Amigos, if need be!!!

WW

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Dreamliner 1 hasn`t completed `power on` and wont do till june - so its nice that `3` is the fastest yet assembled - - nice papaerweight they have

www.flightglobal.com...

a good article at to the process and issue which have messed this up.

Each site was designed as an ultra-lean facility with a highly trained staff capable of signing off on the airworthiness of their own work. Boeing saw this as the next generation of aerospace manufacturing teams of "super mechanics" would build the 787. Each "super mechanic" would hold multiple manufacturing certifications to expedite the production process to build a greater degree of quality assurance directly into the integration of the aircraft.

But rather than a highly trained staff, Global Aeronautica and Vought were peopled by mechanics whose expertise lay outside aerospace. One Boeing veteran says that some staff had no manufacturing background.

the problems are still there.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

Boeing 787 customers are being advised that they face delays of at least two years to their first deliveries following the latest programme slip, and are preparing to seek compensation.

Industry sources say that the average delay to first delivery is around 27 months. Air Canada, which has 37 787s on order, says it has been informed by Boeing that its first delivery will be pushed back by 24-30 months to around January 2012.

more and more companies are saying the same thing - and thats without and more problems - it`ll be 2010 before the launch customer see`s them

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join