It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comcast Cameras To Start Watching You?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Comcast Cameras To Start Watching You?

www.blacklistednews.com

If you have some tinfoil handy, now might be a good time to fashion a hat. At the Digital Living Room conference today, Gerard Kunkel, Comcast’s senior VP of user experience, told me the cable company is experimenting with different camera technologies built into devices so it can know who’s in your living room.
The idea being that if you turn on your cable box, it recognizes you and pulls up shows already in your profile or makes recommendations. If parents are watching TV with their children, for example, parental controls could appear to block certain content from appearing on the screen. Kunkel also said this type of monitoring is the “holy grail” because it could help serve up specifically tailored ads. Yikes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Moderator Edit
>Please read>> *Revised* - Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

[color=#EEB4B4]* Please note that there is a [color=#FFE7BA]character limit of 500 characters [color=#EEB4B4]for the copied story snippet.

[color=#EEEEE0]Exceeding this character limit may result in drastic editing or your thread will be closed, moved or deleted.

[font=Arial Black][color=#CD5555]--khunmoon--
mod&member[/font]

[edit on 21/3/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It might be neat they have the technology but I still don't want it in my living room. It is getting scary what corporations and governments want to do.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
well theres is already rumors of microphones in the cable boxes already that spy on you now a camera oh yippy

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Welcome to the machine.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Guess its time to start learning newspeak.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Govt being able to watch you through the cable tv/box has been a floating conspiracy since cable was invented...

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I figure most of this stuff is already being used on us, it's just now being announced publicly.

Ever wonder what your daily activity database says about you? The real you, not the outward portrayal that we all perform for others. Probably not too pretty.....maybe

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Sounds a lot like 1984 where they made sure you were watching the Govt program. It is getting more and more like that every day.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
What i always think of, is that in the 90's i spoke to an irishman who reckoned the irish thought the english had put microphones in lamp posts to spy in northern ireland. Now they say that sort of thing on the news, and its comon knowledge.

So when policticians in scotland said that parents who are drug addicts in h there homes should be watched 24 hours a day, gets in the media, people just say its a joke.

But even if they already watch people in there homes, they will not for now tell them how its done, and anyone who things this cannot be, is not living in the real world.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Good thing we have the ability to open up our cable boxes and search for the cameras and or microphones.... then find a way to block them or reroute the signal to the toilet.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I guess my paranoid ideations weren't so paranid after all. If someone can think of it, someone can probably do it. Especially if there's money involved.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I say get the TV’s out of your house and into a garage. A place that you never talk about business or your affairs. A place that you don't talk about anything. Get some of your privacy back.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
You could always lock yourself in a closet and put a tinfoil on your head.....

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Oh I believe it will get only worse than this. Once this happens and things really are in affect the way they want it. Everyone still going about their merry little life like nothing has changed......

Until the day comes when you say something against our government and you are then arrested. Dosen't people see where this country is going?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Those who investigate see it clear as day. Those who don't, I feel, notice things are changing direction, just, they have "things" to "do".

Many people are too busy playing their role to stop and question the game.

If they read the rules, they never would've played.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
If they read the rules, they never would've played.

You act like we have or ever did have a choice.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Take a pound of flour and pour it out on the coffee table and act like your snorting coke then see how fast the cops show up lol. Just kidding but that would be one way to bust them.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
You only do what you choose to do, of course, not participating in the game brings loads of hardship.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
It's interesting that this is being mentioned now. About 15 years ago, my dad was telling me how easy it would be to put a camera inside of one of those boxes, and no one would be any the wiser. Having majored in Computer Science, I can firmly state that this is far too easy to do. He was right in that alright.

Truly a scary world that we're entering right now...

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Wow, thats ironic, as a child I thought people on TV could actually see me. Now maybe they will be able to!
Thing is, as a child, thats what made me not like the TV, but I'm sure if you were born into a youtube wo®ld you wouldn't buy cable without it. I'm sure they are thinking like 50 years in the marketing future with this stuff...

just imagine, home schooling would take on a whole new meaning, a virtual classroom, really not new, but if it were standard in the home, I could see digital media totally replacing the school houses, teachers, and books. yikes. Im just glad to be living on the cusp of robot or computer screen McDonalds employees etc...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join