It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KNIGHT TEMPLAR'S large advertisement in the Daily Telegraph

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Almost 700 years after the Pope burned their leader at the stake, the Knights Templar are back.

Apart from the odd misplaced apostrophe and various arcane references to "annulling the bull", the advert gravely announced that the Knights Templar would petition the Pope to "restore the Order with the duties, rights and privileges appropriate to the 21st century and beyond". It called on all Templar groups and "brothers in arms" around the world to get in touch, either via its website, www.theknightstemplar.info, or an address in west London...

What the advert demands is a formal restoration of the Knights Templar. Such a move would not be without precedent: the Jesuits were suppressed by the Catholic church in 1773 before being formally restored by Rome in 1814. "In the background is a mix of Da Vinci Code nonsense and a hard-headed real estate issue," says Palmer. "The consequences of the papacy restoring the Knights would be to open up an enormous can of worms."

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.theknightstemplar.info...

Why now? Is this the real deal or just another viral marketing ding dong?

Interesting though... what are your thoughts?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I must admit I don't know much about these guys - their website emphasises charity which is always a good thing in my book.

One thing for sure though - they are nothing to do with the masonic order of the same name (officially titled the United Religious, Military and Masonic Orders of the Temple and St John of Jerusalem, Palestine, Rhodes and Malta).

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
To quote their site:

There has been much speculation as to whether the Order continued "underground" in the ensuing years, with various theories and speculations for example, that they had chapters in Scotland, America (before Columbus), helped to form what is now known as Switzerland and were responsible for the birth of Freemasonry, to name but a few. However there is no concrete evidence that the Order did manage to survive in the form which it enjoyed at the height of its influence.

Our Order does not claim to be a direct descendant in the strict sense but it is registered in Jerusalem where the original was legitimised and, so far as we are aware, is the only Order so registered and which is also empowered to grant hereditary Knighthoods. It is the intention of this Order to modernise and refine the codes of conduct of the original Templars, so as to be of relevance in the modern world. The militarism is not part of our remit; rather we prefer to concentrate on the philanthropic aspects on a worldwide basis.

So basically they don't know if Freemasons have lineage to the Knights Templar. And they also admit that they have none either.

They would like to recreate the knights templar, but only on a philanthropic level.....

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman
I must admit I don't know much about these guys - their website emphasises charity which is always a good thing in my book.

Your small brain thought that could be a front, an image? Do you want they wear T-shirt & wrote on them: "We are the Devils?" "We will KILL you"? [snip]

[edit on 19-3-2008 by draguun]

[edit on 19-3-2008 by draguun]

Mod Edit - Removed insults.

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread14567/pg1]Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I would so join if I could be a ful fledged knight . . . with a horse, and armor, and get to fight stuff!

Dae

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This is quite an amazing article! The knights are most likely going to want their church back. Amazing church it is, domed of course, and many steps down to the entrance on the account of it being so old - it survived London on fire and being bombed to bits.

Another possible worm is the reaction that the restoration of the Templars would cause among some Islamic groups who associate the Templars with the Crusades.

This is all quite fascinating, history in action!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
From their website, they state they are not a direct descendant of the original Knights Templar

Our Order does not claim to be a direct descendant in the strict sense but it is registered in Jerusalem where the original was legitimised and, so far as we are aware, is the only Order so registered and which is also empowered to grant hereditary Knighthoods

What makes them think they deserve the honors that the original order had? Goodness...Bah!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by chief_counsellor

Well I guess along the lines of, AFAWK, the original guys are gone, at least we're trying to be like them, we are the best successors to that church.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
I would so join if I could be a ful fledged knight . . . with a horse, and armor, and get to fight stuff!

You can do all that and more, with fully fledged magick to boot.

It's called World of Warcraft.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Why would the Templars want ot be associated with the Corrupt Catholic Church?
If they are a linked to the Free Masons of old in Scotland, they would defy any affliation with the Catholic church or any other Heirarchial "organized 'religion.
A True Templar will not again hand over mans' innate personal Relationship with that which created US to mere mortals who wish to only inflict their self Ordained divinity on the masses.
A Templar Bows to NO MAN! NO BRICK AND MORTAR! NO OPPRESSIVE DOCTRINE! A Templar only comes on bended knee to Honor the 'Gifts' we have been given and the Responsiblity it requires. For We are the only species on the planet who can comprehend and Care for all that we have been given. WE ARE THE STEWARDS- ORDAINED BY A GOD OR BY NATURE. THAT FACT IS UNDENIABLE.
Because of that these religious' horsemen' of the Beast have spent 700 yrs killing and defiling the true Knights of Mankind. The Templars found something in Solomans Temple- their Souls!

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by purple girl

The original Templars were a Catholic Military Order, and were associated with the Church. It was the Pope that officially disbanded them, there origins were Catholic, and their demise was also Catholic.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
It sounds like it would be akin to what the Knights of Malta evolved into. But my "scrutiny meter" is pinging off the scale. I would back away from them cautiously and observe at a healthy distance. I would hate to have my membership in the Commanderie be called into question or association with these folks.

Healthy skepticism is the rule of the day. Also, if the Vatican were asked to revisit this highly charged historical incident it could kick up a lot of dust that likely would make many a cardinal and bishop cringe. This incident surrounding Templar's and France's King Philip and the Bourbon Pope was an ugly mess. It actually exceeds some of the most celebrated Machiavellian teachings and maneuvers. Pretty interesting subject if you don't mind wading through some of the texts concerning it. The Catholic churches history is a bit different than some of the historical accounts I've read.

new topics

top topics

join