It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO seen over Selby North Yorkshire 18/03/2008

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I am an avid reader of these forums and would like to share with you a sighting myself and my girlfriend made on the A19 to Selby last night. We had set off to drive to her parents in Selby at approx 18.30 and 20 minutes into the journey, we were forced to pull over as a glowing low flying object caught our eye above the road. We got out of the car and stood in amazement as the apparent diamond shaped object first hovvered the moved sideways then forwards, hovvered etc and then moved away. There was a bright white light in the centre of the object and other lights illuminating the tips of the diamond shape. There was absolutely no sound whatsoever coming from this object (if it was a helicopter etc flying this low a noise would have been heard). The object had obviously captured the sight of numerous other drivers as you could see traffic slowing down so drivers could watch the object. I have been told previously that North Yorkshire is a UFO hotspot and this is the first time I have seen such an object as clear as this.

I have today bought a FUJI F40 digital camera and intend to visit the same spot over the next few nights to see if I can get some pictures of this or somilar objects and will post them accordingly.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turbohale
I have today bought a FUJI F40 digital camera and intend to visit the same spot over the next few nights to see if I can get some pictures of this or somilar objects and will post them accordingly.

That would be great

Was hoping you had a picture already.

On another note, there are military bases in that area.

Catterick Garrison

It is said to be the largest army base in Europe and is both the main direct and indirect employer for much of eastern Richmondshire.

This is near you??

HQ Catterick Garrison
Scotton Road
Catterick Garrison
North Yorkshire
DL9 3JS

Source.

I just thought id look to see if any in that area.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by Denied]

[edit on 19-3-2008 by Denied]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
sorry no picture, however, I have talked to my girlfriends parents about this and they didnt react like it was something out of the ordinary, her mother said "oh we see things like that all the time" I cant wait to get my new camera in action its charging as I type this. I feel like a kid with a new toy (im 32 haha). I have to say though that the silence was eerie, how can an object flying that low not make a sound or be heard???

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Was the light off in a distance, or really close to the road?
Did you notice any problems with your vehicle afterwards?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I grew up in the Village of Brayton near Selby. I did see some strange lights over Drax power station when i was young. I've been into UFOs since i can remember. Selby is good for UFO hunting as the landscape is so flat.

Definatley interested to see if you can see it again

[edit on 19/3/2008 by jon_1983]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Here is a case from a few years ago

Selby Times

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Thanks for the insight and info. The light was directly above the road and it was real creepy. I found it amusing how many drivers saw the light and were slowing to watch the object (I pulled into a bus stop). I cant wait to get out there tonight with my camera. I personally live in a little village in the Yorkshire Wolds and you can see for miles around as you are high up, and I have a good view of drax power station in the distance.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Good luck, i will be keeping an eye on this thread. May i also recommend getting a tripod to help take better pictures if you can.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I have a tripod, and will be taking my Sony video camera along also. I have previously only done ghost hunts in the past in old pubs such as the Golden Fleece in York and have captured some stunning lights and orbs etc, I am looking forward to "branching out" lol into UFO hunting.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Turbohale

I hope you come back with good photo's. It's very wise of you to bring a tripod. Try to keep in mind ( I know it's difficult when you see something amazing) to also take a photo of the object with enviroment surrounding for scale purposes.

Good luck!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Im in West Yorkshire and we also seem to have a lot of sightings. In fact the Ilkley encounter is one of the most famous cases out there. maybe its due to the Fylingdales and Menwith Hill bases ?

Anyway, good luck with your camera, hope you manage to catch some great shots, but bear in mind, even if you do, someone will call it a hoax

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied

Catterick Garrison

It is said to be the largest army base in Europe and is both the main direct and indirect employer for much of eastern Richmondshire.

This is near you??

HQ Catterick Garrison
Scotton Road
Catterick Garrison
North Yorkshire
DL9 3JS

Catterick is quite a way out from Selby, there are a couple smaller bases much closer to Selby here in York (Strensall and Infal Barracks). Probably in terms of UFO sightings the closest and most significant site would be Elvington air field (worth checking on Google Earth as you can see it from about 15 miles up), which is partially owned by NASA. It is a designated landing area for the Space programme (I think in cases of emergency). Catterick, to the best of my knowledge is mainly Army - armoured divisions I think (lots of tanks there anyway) as are the other bases. There is also RAF Linton (see Linton on Ouse) close by to York (and therefore Selby) where Prince William recently did his flight training.

Menwith Hill is nearish, just outside Harrogate, and Fylingdales up on the North York moors (on the Pickering to Whitby road) - these are 'early warning' sites and US run I believe (not my strong point I'm afraid). Militarily quite a busy area around here though. York itself is military air space and very busy of late I may add, most of my evenings are punctuated by low flying harriers and tornados - there is nothing quite like the feeling of your home being used in practice for bombing runs!!!

I have seen one, possibly two UFOs over York, both a good few years back and despite looking nothing since. But I know quite a few others who have had sightings here, some more pronounced than others.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Thanks Kilgore, starred you for that detailed and interesting post.
there may not be any connection to military bases, but thats the first thought that came to mind, black project, or UFO's taking an interest in our military.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
Thanks Kilgore, starred you for that detailed and interesting post.
there may not be any connection to military bases, but thats the first thought that came to mind, black project, or UFO's taking an interest in our military.

My pleasure. I think that both are a possibility, and certainly there is enough activity around here to attract attention plus the military air space thing does allow testing to take place without civil interference - most military activity is at night too (both instances where I saw a UFO were at night and can best be described as a zig-zagging light, nothing tangible as such, could have been anything, but nothing like I have seen before or since).

All the best

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Interesting sighting Turbohale, I have a few questions.

You seem to have gotten a good look at this thing because you said:

We got out of the car and stood in amazement as the apparent diamond shaped object first hovvered the moved sideways then forwards, hovvered etc and then moved away.

So how fast was it actually moving

How long did you watch it for and where did it eventually go?

Considering many people saw it, have you heard anyone else speak about it or was it on the news in your area?

Could you actually see the "craft" or just lights?

Thats all for now, im very intrigued by this sighting so i want more details!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by samureyed

Hi, I observed the object for some 7-8 minutes. it was clearly visible, obviously the lights were the main attraction however, you could make out a clear dark diamond shape inbetween. The object eventually drifted off in the direction of york at what seemed to be quite a slow pace, it almost seemed like it wasnt flying but floating away, it was weird and I have never witnessed anything like it before. I have looked at various local websites and news and have found nothing as yet about this sighting.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
www.selbytimes.co.uk...

above is a link to an article from the selby times. It shows a picture of a craft similar to the one I observed however mine had 4 lights on corners not 3

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
If you get some decent night pictures of an unknown object....please, please, get some daylight photos taken in rougly the same direction and angle. It would be a valuable addition to the data.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turbohale
Hi, I observed the object for some 7-8 minutes. it was clearly visible, obviously the lights were the main attraction however, you could make out a clear dark diamond shape inbetween. The object eventually drifted off in the direction of york at what seemed to be quite a slow pace, it almost seemed like it wasnt flying but floating away, it was weird and I have never witnessed anything like it before. I have looked at various local websites and news and have found nothing as yet about this sighting.

Are you sure it wasn't a blimp? I'm from York and once saw what I thought was a UFO, behaving in a similar manner and sounding quite similar looking. The 'UFO' glided over us and we had no idea what it was, the description the next day was a blimp minus the main light on. Just an idea.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Thanks for this info I live very near Selby and actually have a friend who lives there, I'll ask her if she saw anything. I'll keep a look out tonight I may see something. Did you see inside it then?
It may be in the Evening Press tonight do you think?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join