It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what you should know about the 14th Dalai Lama

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I think your name says it all.

Did you pick it out yourself, or is that just a family nickname?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
While many people here may respect the Dalai Lama, we all agree that he has fought for a cause that many people, particularly the Chinese, disagree with. If you happen to fight for a cause that many people disagree with, you are going not only make enemies but commit actions that many will perceive as unjust. While the Dalai Lama may not be a slave holder or a terrorist, he may have committed acts that were unjust in the eyes of his adversaries.

For example, the Chinese may perceive the recent violence in Tibet not as a righteous political protest, but as lawlessness and anarchy brought on by a few thugs. They may perceive the Dalai Lama as encouraging the lawlessness and anarchy.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by gluetrap
Wow that was pretty offensive, I dont blame the chinese people for the actions of their government, but now i am starting to rethink that fact based on the behavior I have been witnessing on this board tonight.

Why would this thread have any major influence for you on something as complicated as the situation with China and Tibet? It's just the opinion of one poster.

You're too easy to sway.

Believe what you will but what he has said has some bearings in truth. The people of Tibet under lamas were nothing more than slaves under a serfdom rule. They worked for the lamas in poverty to support their lavish "holy" lifestyle.

The current Dalai Lama also was on the CIA payroll for a time and there are various sources to this information that you can easily find. The CIA was funding a guerrilla group in Tibet so they could perpetrate attacks against the Chinese. The funding was given to the Dalai Lama some of which he kept.

You think they would be fighting with water-guns and prayer beads? Kisses and hugs?

Behind Dalai Lama's holy cloak
Michael Backman
May 23, 2007

The government set up in exile in India and, at least until the 1970s, received $US1.7 million a year from the CIA.

The money was to pay for guerilla operations against the Chinese, notwithstanding the Dalai Lama's public stance in support of non-violence, for which he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989.

The Dalai Lama himself was on the CIA's payroll from the late 1950s until 1974, reportedly receiving $US15,000 a month ($US180,000 a year).
TheAge.com

It's a shame that most people are easily mislead by a bunch of "peace and love" ramblings and constant accolades from millionaire Buddhist celebrities (isn't that a contradiction) and those "Free Tibet" concerts that I am sure those singers have no idea what Tibet was or is. The truth is the people of Tibet were not thriving under the lama's they were purposely uneducated slaves to a religious group in power.

There was also this more than honest look from Penn and Tellers Bull$!t series that I suggest some of you out there really need to take a look at:
myspaceTV.com

Is China a shining example of human rights? HELL NO. I am quite aware of the shameful abuses of the Chinese government against its people. I am also aware of the shameful abuses and greed of the lamas.

My point is that no one is fighting for the people of Tibet just the ability to RULE over them. That is what this is about. Not freedom...control.

Most people of course feel that just because some religious leader in a robe, spouts holy scriptures or peace messages they must be heaven sent, yet history itself has shown those people tend to be the most insidious. False prophets, power mongers and even pedophiles. Truly the masses are sheep for they fall for the same trick over and over.

For the record I'm not Chinese.

I live in American. I think most of the American people around me are way too ignorant of the realities that exist around them.

Peace.

- Lee

[edit on 19-3-2008 by lee anoma]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
For example, the Chinese may perceive the recent violence in Tibet not as a righteous political protest, but as lawlessness and anarchy brought on by a few thugs. They may perceive the Dalai Lama as encouraging the lawlessness and anarchy.

Of course they do , and why?
Because they are brainwashed.
I'll never understand why after Tiananmen we gave legitamacy to those crooks.
By sending our jobs over there we propped up that murderous government.
All those peaceful students in the square , i'll never forget them.
And i don't think the Tibetans do either.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
signature
America can't lead anyone,except himself
Japan can' lead anyone,including himself
China intend to lead no one,except himself

Your signature says it all crazyboy, ignorance abound. You don't even realize that your culture was raped and stolen from you by communism. These protesters and buddhist monks are the last semblance of culture your people are holding on to. China intend to lead no one, except those that wish not to be lead. Your pride in your own and disgust in others is your own undoing. Reality is a fickle little mother isn't it.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TimeTracker

I am sympathetic with the Dalai Lama and people of Tibet. This is not to say that everything can be easily couched in terms of good and evil. I think it is safe to say that some of the recent violence in Tibet can be classified as "legitimate" political dissent, and some of it can be classified as plain hooliganism.

If you sympathise with the Tibetians, you are more likely to see the violence as "legitimate" political dissent. You see the hooligans in the crowd as being a small minority. If you sympathise with the Chinese, you are likely to see the violence as largely the acts of hooligans with little "legitimate" political dissent occurring.

I could not tell you what the mix is. I would imagine some people on the street were genuinely angry and wanted nothing more than to express their anger. Some were opportunists who wanted to loot and cause chaos. Some may have been a combination of the two. It is nevertheless safe to say that the Chinese are not completely off base when they raise concerns that the violence is being perpetuated by thugs. It is also not off base to say that the violence is being committed by genuinely and righteously angry people in political dissent.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Anyone who believes Tibet belongs to China is high on lies or Chinese.
The Red army invaded, killed most of the men, sterlized the woman, sent the children to indoctrination camps. The monks at great risk took the independence and sovereignty documents to India, as China would not risk a war with India even today. Tibet at the time appealed to the UN but landed on deaf ears...so what is new there. The dali Lama is a politician and spiritual leader. For without faith, there is no hope. Who cares about whom he associates with. Is our own CIA saintly????

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by zhangxi0183
oh yeah. chinese source are no credible evidence, only source from white house is true, blah blah blah.. keep denying the truth you don't like.

i'm sorry to let you see the real world.

You are arguing a false dichotomy. Just because one does not believe a STATE-RUN Chinese source, does not mean one believes everything or everything the White House says.

I've come across a bit of a problem in you and CrazyBoy's propaganda...ahem...I mean arguments. You claim that picture you posted was an example of what happened to serfs under the rule of the Dalai Lama. Crazy Boy made claims about the atrocities that the Dalai Lama was committing before 1949. But there's a problem.

Tenzin Gyatso didn't become Dalai Lama until November 1950. Come on, Crazy Boy and ZhangiXi, you know your Chinese history. Why don't you tell us what happened just one month before, in October 1950?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Fact is, the Tibetans are better-off under Chinese rule than they were under Lamaic rule. Not by a large degree - like the difference between Idi Amin and Saddam Hussein - but still.

I couldn't have said it better (or apparently shorter) but this is the facts people. This is why I feel for the people of Tibet and those arguing for who should have control over them. Going by history I don't think the lamas will do anything good for the people other than have them be servants again but also the boot of China is an oppressive one despite the advantages they have brought to Tibet. More advantages than the Lama serfdom.

Either way the people of Tibet are going to be screwed.

Pay attention and wake up.

- Lee

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyboy0

I personally lost an arm in a sword fight with the Dalai Lama. I fully support your post.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
no, he didnt get run over by tanks, but his actions were incredible none the less...

While he may have not been run over, we can say with almost complete certainty that people were indeed run over by tanks or APCs.

Square, with protesters repeatedly advancing toward the People's Liberation Army (PLA) and constructing barricades with vehicles, while the PLA attempted to clear the streets using tear gas, rifles, and tanks. Many injured citizens were saved by rickshaw drivers who ventured into the no-man's-land between the soldiers and crowds and carried the wounded off to hospitals...Meanwhile, the PLA systematically established checkpoints around the city, chasing after protesters and blocking off the university district.

The assault on the square began at 10:30 p.m. on June 3, as armored personnel carriers (APCs) and armed troops with fixed bayonets approached from various positions. These APCs rolled on up the roads, firing ahead and off to the sides, perhaps killing or wounding their own soldiers in the process.

Though I admit it is very possible that no one was run over, I cannot imagine in the chaos that it did not happen.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

It is certainly possible and Im sure if it happened, it would not have been covered by any state run media, and any reports would have been silenced.

If I downplayed the situation, it was not my intent. I merely isolated my comments to the context of the Unknown Rebel.

A side note: Those rickshaw drivers were brave as hell.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Absolute rubbish! You're a complete fool.
Chinese propaganda against H.H. The Dalai Lama is nothing new.
Doesn't make it true. Right???? Everybody knows this.
China invaded Tibet. That's that. This is a no brainer. Tibet basically belongs to China because nobody wants to wage war inside of a basin surrounded by mountains. H.H. The Dalai Lama doesn't want further bloodshed and is against his people fighting the Chinese army, even though some Tibetan people wish to reclaim their land using force.
Many Tibetans have taken refuge in Dharamsala and are living under very difficult conditions (but, thank god for India!). The story, my friends, goes on and on. Too much suffering.

We, speaking of Americans, are at fault for giving all of our money to the Chinese government i.e., all things imported from China... we, in turn, are funding them!!!!

This, of course, is nothing new either.
Politics... politicians are lower than low.

You, crazyboy0, your name suits you.
But you should feel ashamed for this thread, not proud.

Btw, I've personally met with H.H. The Dalai Lama. Have you?
He is a very kind and generous person. For the record.

You, clearly, have no idea what you're talking about.

Good luck.

Regards,
Robert

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Is this thread about the Dalai Lama or China and Tibet?

I will circumvent argumentation by asking simply, why should we believe that, despite being a religious leader who's faith abhors violence, denounces personal power over others, and refuses to submit to political will, he is the anti-christ that Xinhua says he is? I know you are not inclined to believe western press, so how can we possibly know that your claims aren't Zhonguo propaganda?

I mean, if you want people to accept these rather incongruous claims, you're going to have to do better than refrencing xinhua.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder how exactly a student in China is accessing the internet from a location in China and is somehow registered on ATS???
I think this site is definitely on the list of forbidden places. You can't get here from there. I think the OP is an operative for the Chinese govt, since he seems to have access that is not available to the general public there.

See map:

maps

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

In the late thirties (as the various fascist systems bloomed in Europe and the whole world) Spencer Chapman, a traveler in Tibet, wrote that even in the days of the dictators one can only be amazed at what uncontested power the Dalai Lama possesses” (Chapman, 1940, p. 192).

article
full text

Miguel Serrano and the XIV. Dalai Lama in Santiago de Chile (1992)

Serrano says of himself: “I was employed as a tool and continue to be used” (Cedade, 1986). We may recall that upon crossing the border, the Dalai Lama gave vent to the cry of “Victory to the gods!”. The gods that Serrano represented and as whose tool he served were Wotan, Odin, and, in his own words, Adolf Hitler.

article

another intriguing article

"I will continue to urge the leaders of China to welcome the Dalai Lama to China," Mr Bush said.

"I believe that this award also sends a powerful message to those individuals who are dedicated to promoting peace," the Dalai Lama said.

the way Kosovo did

Mr Bush met the Dalai Lama behind closed doors on Tuesday in the White House residence, rather than the Oval Office, out of deference to China. It was their third private meeting in six years.

article

much more can be read here and here

people, crazyboy0 is saying truth.. do some research..
or are you some of those people who think that Kosovo had to become independent

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You know NOTHING of the Dali Lama.

Read his book sometime, "The Universe in a Single Atom" and you'll get a better idea of the kind of man you are degrading. You should be ashamed of yourself for even making this post.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Duplicate Post, please delete me

[edit on 19-3-2008 by brigand]

[edit on 19-3-2008 by brigand]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Reply to CrazyBoy0:

Subversion, disinformation and propaganda is a common tactic and unless handled very sensitively, can often have the reverse effect.

In the UK we know the Dalai Lama a little better than you might think. Both he and your Premier Wen Jiabao are intelligent men and they no doubt, respect each other's point of view.

However, China is allowing itself to be drawn into a situation not too dissimilar from the earlier troubles in Northern Ireland. Media attention is being focussed and the 'underdogs' will always appear to be the victim.

You may be able to win the fight, but as always, you will find the 'peace' much harder to win.

China needs to facilitate peaceful dialogue immediately, otherwise the Beijing Olympics will be boycotted.

[edit on 19/3/08 by Myrdyn]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join