It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$600 billion? $5 trillion? Costs of the Iraq war are hotly disputed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   

$600 billion? $5 trillion? Costs of the Iraq war are hotly disputed

www.iht.com

WASHINGTON: The Pentagon tags the cost of the Iraq war at about $600 billion and counting. Joseph Stiglitz, a Nobel Prize-winning economist and critic of the war, pegs the long-term cost at $3 trillion to $5 trillion. The Congressional Budget Office and other analysts say that a more realistic total price estimate is $1 trillion to $2 trillion, depending on troop levels and on how long the American occupation continues.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I'm no economist to figure out how much money the I raq War has cost. What I am certainly sure is that this war has had a deep impact in the economic situation in this country. The other thing that I'm sure off is that many of the Bush and Cheney cronies that expected to profit from this war have seem their dreams all but dissapear at this time.

Who had made a profit out this war, maybe Halliburton and Blackwater, other than those all the other companies that were making a line to get their hands in the Iraqi oil have seen that vanished. Maybe why they trying to pressure this administration to attack Iran.

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Who cares were not paying for it.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Does the number really matter? Its clearly been a waste of money and lives, but our worthless politicians have no problem sending other parent's children to die.

I can't even quantify $500 billion, let alone $3-5 trillion. Those numbers are incomprehensible.

All I know is that enough is enough and I'll take my rebate check now Bush.

Make it out to ca$h.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I think that to an extent the number really matters. This is money that could have been used to solve more pressing matters here in this country rather than in rebuilding some other country.

I remember when Bush use to say in his 2000 campaign that he was not in the bussiness of rebuilding nations.

Hey W!! how that work out?..... 5 trillion dollars later!!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I'm not arguing $5 trillion or $600 billion isn't a lot of money. I was merely saying how can you wrap your head around how much money he's spent on this war.

Its a massive amount that I really can't comprehend. I didn't mean its nothing, because its clearly a crapload of loot that as you said could have been spent in a more meaningful way.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
... its clearly a crapload of loot that as you said could have been spent in a more meaningful way.

Warfare is the best and most productive use of capital. It's an undeniable, proven fact that destruction and death plays to the lowest common denominator of humanity.

Most people love it. It's why people first get hooked into the book of revelation.

Sure there's your occassional fruitloop out there that preaches love and harmony, but ther're queer.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by In nothing we trust]

top topics

join