It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calls Mount for Olympic Ceremony Boycott

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Calls Mount for Olympic Ceremony Boycott

apnews.myway.com

Moves to punish China over its handling of violence in Tibet gained momentum Tuesday, with a novel suggestion for a mini-boycott of the Beijing Olympics by VIPs at the opening ceremony.
Such a protest by world leaders would be a huge slap in the face for China's Communist leadership.
France's outspoken foreign minister, former humanitarian campaigner Bernard Kouchner, said the idea "is interesting."
Kouchner said he wants to discuss it with other foreign ministers from the 27-nation EU next week.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
www.breitbart.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Before Olympic Games, China quells dissent (more human rights travesties)
'Count Me Out' - Spielberg Quits Olympics
Chinese Security Forces Swarm Tibet
Olympics clean-up Chinese style: Inside Beijing's shocking death camp for cats

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The Tibetan conflict is really putting a damper on the Chinese 2008 Summer Olympics. I did not expect this to be such a huge deal.

You would think the Chinese treating their own citizens would be a huge deal, but as soon as we find out they're harassing ethnic minorities...

I can see where people call the West hypocrites as we don't deal with our own issues.

However, as the Olympics are supposed to be an example of humanity's ability to compromise and compete with honor, the country hosting it should behave in such a way.

The Chinese have not handled the situation in Tibet with the greatest care and may end up ruining their chance at hosting the Olympics.

The idea of skipping the Aug. 8 opening ceremony "is less negative than a general boycott," Kouchner said. "We are considering it."

Asked about Kouchner's statement, China's U.N. Ambassador Wang Guangya said: "Certainly I think what he said is not shared by most of the people in the world."

The French are not considering a boycott of the entire Olympic games, but merely the opening ceremonies.

Essentially they want to look like they're disapproving the Chinese treatment of the Tibetans, while at the same time, do nothing.

They need a business partner in the East aside from Japan, after all right?

Such an opening ceremony boycott presumably would not include the athletes, who under Olympic rules are forbidden from making any kind of protest at events or venues - including the opening ceremony. It's not mandatory that every athlete participate in the opening ceremony.

"We strongly encourage our athletes to participate in opening ceremonies," said U.S. Olympic Committee spokesman Darryl Seibel. "It is a tremendous honor to walk into the Olympic Stadium behind the flag of your nation, and to do so in a ceremony honoring and celebrating athletes from around the world."

The athletes are required to participate in the games and cannot protest anything at all.

So much for free speech...

A few groups are questioning whether or not the Chinese should be allowed to hold the games and others will not even be attending:

Human Rights Watch, which has not been pushing for a boycott, may soon change its stance and urge heads of state not to go to the opening ceremony, said Sophie Richardson, the New York-based group's Asia advocacy director.

So far, the group has been suggesting that foreign leaders "think long and hard" about whether they want to seen alongside China's leadership, she said in a telephone interview.

As they cannot force anyone to boycott the Olympics, this may be a wise decision on their part. I'm actually surprised as Darfur has been linked to the Chinese as well so you'd think these people would actually give a #.

Prince Charles has already said he will skip the Olympics. He supports Tibet's spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, who has been living in exile since an uprising against Chinese rule in 1959.

Good boy

Hollywood director Steven Spielberg also withdrew in February as an artistic adviser to the opening and closing ceremonies, saying China had not done enough to halt the bloodshed in Darfur. China buys much of Sudan's oil and supplies many of the weapons used in the Darfur conflict.

No surprise here. Spielberg mentioned the Darfur crisis before and his reason for stepping down was completely valid and respectable.

Some photos of the protestors:

Protesters demonstrate against the Olympic Games in Beijing in front of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, Tuesday, March 18, 2008. Tibetans called on IOC President Jacques Rogge to speak up about the Tibet crackdown and ask for the withdrawal of the torch relay in Tibet. (AP Photo/Keystone, Dominic Favre)

Protesters demonstrate against the Olympic Games in Beijing in front of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, Tuesday, March 18, 2008. Tibetans called on IOC President Jacques Rogge to speak up about the Tibet crackdown and ask for the withdrawal of the torch relay in Tibet. (AP Photo/Keystone, Dominic Favre)

A woman holds a poster against the Olympic Games in Beijing, outside the Chinese embassy in Paris, Tuesday, March 18, 2008, during a protest against the crackdown on demonstrations in Tibet by the Chinese authority. A week of protests against Chinese rule in Tibet culminated in violence Friday when Tibetans attacked ethnic Chinese and torched their shops in Lhasa, the region's capital. Officials there said 16 people died in the violence, but exiled Tibetans said as many as 80 people may have been killed. (AP Photo/Michel Euler)

I personally won't be watching the Olympics, will you?

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Agreed. I keep on saying, this Olympics will go down in the Hall of Shame along with Berlin and Moscow.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I worry about the diplomatic consequences of this untenable situation. If we go the games we are giving our de facto support of China and all of its outrageous human rights, animal rights and environmental abuses. If we don't go they will be spoiling for a fight even more than they already frequently appear to be, as they will be embarassed and out tons of money and resources.

I can't see a good middle ground. Dumb-ass Olympic Selection Committee...

[edit on 19/3/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I believe that the atheletes have the option to attend the opening ceremony or not, unless the rules have been changed for 2008...

For example the USA Olympic Gymnastics teams do not attend the opening ceremony and i believe that in 2006 it was the first time Michelle Kwan and attended the opening ceremony.....

new topics

top topics

join