It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are video games too realistic? Hell no!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Here is a rant that I felt like posting for a while now. Why do people (parents/politicians?) always seem to say that video games are too realistic and that this is a bad thing? First of all, video games are not too realistic! Alright maybe in terms of graphics they are, but that is all I can think of as of now. A realistic video game would be this (in terms of a shooting game): (1) a game where, if one gets killed, one would not be able to play the game again at all, (2) a game with no maps, no enemy location identifiers, no health bars (if you get shot, you die - like in real life, but there could be very small exceptions to this, such as where one got shot), and no cheats (even though, as I have heard, cheat codes are getting old in the video game industry). What other stipulations would make a realistic video game? My point is this, however: video games are not too realistic so people should stop complaining! Yes, violence/negative behavior may result in playing video games (as some people are always claiming), but one should not merely blame video games! This isn't even coming from an avid video game player . Rant over .

Related Threads

Child Shot Friend, Video Game Blamed...
Video-Games Not To Blame For Violence
Banned Video Games: Why Did it Have to be MY State!?
can violent games realy make kids into killers

[edit on 18-3-2008 by they see ALL]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
No replies
!?

[edit on 19-3-2008 by they see ALL]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I wish they were MORE realistic. Honestly a game isnt going to screw your brain up unless your spending 10 hours a day playing a homocidal game and you have a mental disorder.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I personally don't care how realistic or violent a video game is, I think video game has great therapeutic benefits, it bring comfort and induce relaxation and a sense of ease. However, when people become too dependent on video game as an escape from life we definitely have a problem. I know its not the gaming company responsibility, but I believe gaming company, especially MMO games need to create a regulation system, maybe limit an individual to the amount of time they can play online a day. Granted people in society today are to lazy or dumb to do it themselves. Its a great way to stop additional gaming habits, gambling, WOW. I mean people kill each other and neglect others in real life for these games.

Next, I believe violent game does not induce violent tendency in kids. I believe the rare exceptions are kids with severe psychological problem. I mean those kids should not be playing violent games in the first place, because lets face it if they can't deal reality, I'm sure a alternate one won't help much, it might be a way to foster their aggressive tendency. But, still its unlikely the kid will go about killing anyone, unless if the kid become delusional, and gets confuse with the two realities. However, when it boils down to responsibility, its the parents responsibility to decide if their kid is fit or stable enough for such games in the first place, not the gaming company.

join