It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raw Video: Space Shuttle Repaired With Duct Tape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Raw Video: Space Shuttle Repaired With Duct Tape

www.liveleak.com

Astronauts used duct tape, a towel and a wash cloth to make repairs to a component under floor panels on the space shuttle where moisture was accumulating. (March 18)
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Its great to see how repairs are done on the space shuttle with all the millions NASA gets. Duct tape and a rag. Let me guess the repair kits for the fuel tank includes spray foam from homedepot, And I don't want to know what the use for tile repairs.

www.liveleak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Good ol' duct tape, you can use it for anything! Back on the reservation they used to call it "indian chrome". . .

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Everyone knows how reliable duct tape is. I mean come on that stuff is sticky!

Anyawy, on a more serious note. Sad to see that's all they use, hopefully they will shed light as to why they use duck tape. Maybe they felt that it's all the shuttle needed for now.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
A portion of Nasa's budget in every mission is specifically set up for short-notice conference calls to Macguyver.

Anyway, I guess they'd have to resort to duct tape, given current fuel prices.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
When the space program was young the astronauts complained that ink pens didn't work in space. NASA spent seven million dollars to create an ink pen that would work in zero gravity.

When Russia sent up cosmonauts they too complained that ink pens didn't work. Ground control sent back the message, "Use a pencil."

I'm glad to see that NASA is finally starting to use some common sense.

The truth of the matter is that our space faring friends cannot run down to the local hardware store and pick up what they need to solve a problem. They have to work with what they have on hand. Maybe on a later mission the supplies can be delivered to make a proper repair.

They have to work with what they have on board.

I'm glad to see they found a fix, even if it's a temporary one. They'll probably get a permanent fix on the next shuttle flight.

As for duct tape, it's standard issue on every space flight. It can fix anything from a broken pipe to a broken marriage. Miracle stuff I tell ya

[edit on 18-3-2008 by mrwupy]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm inclined to agree with mrwupy. They can only take so much equipment up with them, so the smartest thing to do is send the one thing that can fix everything until a permanent fix can arrive. A space shuttle is basically like a really big, really complex car. You can't be driving around with replacement parts for everything, otherwise you've got two cars. But what you can do is bring a spare tire and the tools to make yourself a quick fix in the event that something does start to break down.

And besides, it's duct tape. I highly doubt that there's a better solution to any problem anywhere than duct tape. It's as one of my favorite sayings goes; duct tape is like the Force, it's got a light side, a dark side, and it holds the whole universe together.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
When the space program was young the astronauts complained that ink pens didn't work in space. NASA spent seven million dollars to create an ink pen that would work in zero gravity.

When Russia sent up cosmonauts they too complained that ink pens didn't work. Ground control sent back the message, "Use a pencil."

Amusing but the story is a myth. NASA did spend over $100 a piece for mechanical pencils, though.

www.sciam.com...

As for duct tape, it's standard issue on every space flight. It can fix anything from a broken pipe to a broken marriage. Miracle stuff I tell ya

This.

I'd be worried if they didn't carry duct tape.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by IAttackPeople]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAttackPeople

Originally posted by mrwupy

Amusing but the story is a myth. NASA did spend over $100 a piece for mechanical pencils, though.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story my friend.

Space pen

Still, I couldn't resist. I hope you will forgive me.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I have to say with all the money they spend all the planning they do, for it turn out that they decide to use duct tape and bubblegum for shuttle repairs is pretty lame. I guess if they go to mars they will splurge for some epoxy puddy to go with the duct tape.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

They MacGuyver'ed the space shuttle Ahahahahah..That is just so freakin funny...Hey "If you can't Duck it F*** it."

new topics

join