It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not sure what to believe :/

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I grew up in a christian family, went to a catholic school, and went to church everyday as part of school when i lived in L.A.

Then i moved up to the bay area, and was put in public school. Now, almost a graduate from high school, my faith in God is on thin ice.

It came down to logic for me, and the bible just seems like a bunch of stories. Was the ten commandments just written to keep society intact?
If god and jesus are real, why is our world the way it is. Did they just give up on us?

I dont look at myself as a believer anymore. But i want to belive. If a family member died, i would want to know that they would be up in heaven, watching me, so i could do them good, you know? But im just not to sure.

What comes after death? Are there more beings than just the people on earth etc etc. I know none of these you can answer.

But what i am asking, is what should i do? How do i find a sturdy faith that i can trust? What do you believe is true, and if you could put it in good words, maybe that could change my views.

Thanks all

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Never stop looking for answers. Always strive for the truth.

You'll find many on ATS/BTS who will present their views on 'what is'. So be it.

PLEASE....always....look for answers.

It's not the name of the game.

It's your game.

We are ALL here for each other.

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostineuphoria
my faith in God is on thin ice.

It's quite likely that you have never experienced faith in it's true form.

It came down to logic for me, and the bible just seems like a bunch of stories.

It is nothing until GOD opens it up to you and makes it alive to you. Try asking him and have plenty of patience.

Seek after him and you just may be blown away by the results when you least expect it.

Was the ten commandments just written to keep society intact?

You are confusing his people with the entire world. The bible isn't written to the world or else the world would understand it. It's written to his people and his people know it because the experience and the testimony in the bible align themselves together.

If god and jesus are real, why is our world the way it is. Did they just give up on us?

Our world is the way it is because they haven't given up. It's because a day with GOD is as a thousand years figuratively and he is patient and suffers long so that all have a chance to come to repentance, seek and find him.

At some point this 'grace' period will be over and all who are not born again will be lost.

But i want to belive.

If that is truly what you want, then seek after GOD and not men for answers.

If a family member died, i would want to know that they would be up in heaven, watching me, so i could do them good, you know? But im just not to sure.

Not everyone who dies goes to heaven. Only those found in Jesus Christ. Only he can save a man.

What comes after death?

Those who aren't in Jesus Christ will find themselves in the temporary prison known as hell awaiting judgment day. At that day hell will give up those who are in it and all will be judged. All whose names aren't written in the book of life will be thrown in the lake of fire. They will live and burn there forever.

Are there more beings than just the people on earth etc etc. I know none of these you can answer.

It is written sometimes we entertain angels unaware. They can take on human form.

But what i am asking, is what should i do? How do i find a sturdy faith that i can trust? What do you believe is true, and if you could put it in good words, maybe that could change my views.

You seek Jesus Christ until you know him closer than your closest anything. You will know when you know him. When you are in him and he's in you.

Every thought you think he knows it. The hairs on your head are numbered. You speak to him and he will hear.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Lostineuphoria only you can decided what direction your personal beliefs will take. Myself I don't subscribe to the idea that a higher power or an after life exists. I do am to make the most if the time I have with my family and friends .

Don't be afriad of the fact that you are asking questions and the answers don't add up to what was your beliefs .

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
you said you're a christian right? try this. tonight, pray and ask for a sign. then wait for it.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
how about you don't believe in anything but yourself? thats what i do...its quite nice

if you want to try and not believe in anything but yourself and are having troubles not believing in anything but yourself then feel free to ask me

i've been believing in nothing but myself for quite some time now

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Lostineuphoria I went through the same thing your going through, I questioned my faith and became bitter towards God, all the time trying to understand what god has planned for us.

Desperately trying to understand why God allows us to go through so much pain and heart ache.

Then it finally dawned on me, we will never understand God and the plan he has for us. You will drive yourself mad trying to understand the intellect of God, the best advise I can give you is to have faith man and never give up. Because this life we have on earth is only the beginning.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Blitz]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Blitz

You will drive yourself mad trying to understand the intellect of God

My sediments included!

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I agree with the poster who said ask God. Pray and talk to God (even if you are not sure he is there), then just be aware. When I asked Christ to come in my Life, I felt it and things changed. Over the process of a couple years I went from hostile to the Bible to a believer... Only God has the key to unlock a heart.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
When you are hanging out with your friend, drinking a beer and eating a taco, remember Jesus and realize that your friend might die in a car accident before you see him again.
That was your communion with him and encourage your friend that jesus will accept you, if you want him to, right now, just as you are.
Live like that and you will have no fear and no regrets.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lostineuphoria

here's a good quote from the buddha on the issue

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions,
even though they have been held in honor
for many generations and in diverse places.
Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it.
Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past.
Do not believe what you yourself have imagined,
persuading yourself that a God inspires you.
Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests.
After examination, believe what you yourself have tested
and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.

-Buddha

that's my 2 cents

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

The Best part of that one was the fact that people should look upon that one, as well as everything else, that we should [n]"Prick a hole into our skull...allow the air to tranfer between... then close off what is synonomous with our 'conscious being', to capture unto ourselves what is 'welcomed'...."What CAN be scrutinized... and What should be scrutinized.

Are they the same things?

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
great responses. thanks guys.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I think all believers go through this stage in there life. Part of faith is questioning whether you do have faith or not. For me I have never really doubted my faith it merely got put on the back burner as I explored what the world was about. After carfeul examination and many disapointments I find myself on track again as I'm sure you will. I have a russian friend that was raised as agnostic my answer to him is the same as it is to you "seek and you will see"

top topics

join