It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About the Tibet situation. And yes, I am born Chinese.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

By liberal do you mean more pro-democracy?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Do you think the new president will relax the strangle hold on all Tibetans?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Have you stopped beating your wife?

Mod Edit: Link added. My apologies to vox2442 for misinterpreting the intent here, thank you for being so understanding. - Jak

[edit on 22/3/08 by JAK]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

If Chinese dislike Tibet so much then get out it is not your land. Nobody makes China stay there.

Earlier you asked if a quarter of USA should be given to the Mexicans just because they came to USA as illegal immigrants.

You sure twist the truth. Tibetans are not illegal immigrants. It's their own country which your country invaded by force.

Tell me die_another_day... You criticise the Dalai Lama for accepting CIA support for resistance in his recently overthrown country and you call him a dog.

Tell me this, so now your saying it was wrong of USA to send support to China in WW2 to resist the Japanese invaders in China ?

Was it wrong of the British to give support to the Norwegian and French resistance during Nazi occupation ?

If I had to choose between a country which behaved like the Nazis and the country which was invaded, I sure wouldn't side with the Nazis.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Earlier you asked if a quarter of USA should be given to the Mexicans just because they came to USA as illegal immigrants.

You sure twist the truth. Tibetans are not illegal immigrants. It's their own country which your country invaded by force.

Well, technically he's right. The southwestern US used to be part of Mexico until we took it from them by force. Personally, and I've said this before, I would give it back if it were up to me. The summers here are just too much, lol, and I was born here...

although a difference would be, we didn't take all of Mexico.

[edit on 20-3-2008 by 27jd]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

Stop being so delusional! If we go far back enough, we might as well give the whole of the us to the vikings/native americans/or the first colonies that came in by asia. Land has always been obtained through "unjust" means. Hey I know, how about all 6 billion people of the world move out to Africa and leave the rest of the worl unhampered with since that's where it all started that's where we all came from and the way that we obtained the land was "unfair" to the life forms living there at the time I know, silly analogy, but then again, so is your mode of thought.

I got an idea, lets "give back" france, polland and all those european countries conquered by germany in WW2 "back" since the way that we "took them away" from the nazis was "unfair"

oh wait wait, I know... lets systematically get rid of the whole human race period because of how "unfairly" we've taken the land from the animal species. How far back do you want me to draw the line? Oh and another question... why the heck do we have to pay for the crimes of people who no longer live and have not lived for over 200 years? Oh right... we DON'T! Stop living in a fairy tale and come back to the real world

[edit on 20-3-2008 by Question]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
First of all, we didn't need the Americans during WWII. The U.S. only "helped" China because of Pearl Harbor.

The new president will be liberal as in "Pro-Democracy" and will relax on Tibet. He might or might not win.

Is China trying to go all superpower like the Japanese and Nazis? NO.
Were holding on to what we have.

Oh yah, didn't someone start a thread saying that the majority of the population in Tibet is Han Chinese? (I kind of doubt this) Who does it belong to now?

When the media reports either 13 dead or 100 dead; WHO exactly is dead? The Hans? Or Tibetans?

By the way, I just received news that the protesters burned a school killing a student.

Yeh, Chro is definitely being "delusional", maybe humans should give back the land to the mammoths and free every animal from zoos.

[edit on 3/20/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I take it you don't trust democracy. What a shame!

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I trust democracy, every system has its ups and downs. China is getting there.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I'm not replying to your quote... read my reply carefully and see who it is I'm answering before responding.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

When the media reports either 13 dead or 100 dead; WHO exactly is dead? The Hans? Or Tibetans?

Well why don't you allow journalists to report and then we'd all know the truth. Not just what your Government wants us to think

I asked:

Tell me this, so now your saying it was wrong of USA to send support to China in WW2 to resist the Japanese invaders in China ?

You totally avoided answering the question like this

First of all, we didn't need the Americans during WWII. The U.S. only "helped" China because of Pearl Harbor.

China did not need America ?
Had the USA not sent help the Japanese would have overun Chunking and then you would have lost.

So let me get this straight Now you say China won the war and beat the Japanese ?

Scuse me while I laugh my head off

The question you wont answer is this Die another Day:

Isn't China's invasion of Tibet exactly what Japan did to China ?

I bet you wont have the guts to answer that directly and if you do I can't wait to shoot down your propaganda B/S with facts.

[edit on 20-3-2008 by sy.gunson]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Question, I'm confirming your statement in a way

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

Not what the government want us to think, and also not what the Dalai want us to think.

No it was not wrong of the U.S to send troops to help us as it would be stupid to refuse help.

Japan's invasion is not similar to the Tibet situation.
Japan's invasion is a total war. We are not executing, raping, and cannibalizing millions of Tibetans. We are not forcefully taking over another "nation". Tibet has been in the Chinese empire for over 300 years, they had their autonomy. These are facts. How is it a invasion?

Now, you tell me how they are similar because I don't see it.

Hey, would you care as much about Tibet if China was democratic just like the U.S?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Hey, would you care as much about Tibet if China was democratic just like the U.S?

That's insulting. I care about the rights of all oppressed people and often comment on topics about suffering in Iraq, Palestinian territories and I even posted a criticism at above politics about my national airline exploiting Chinese employees with lower wages.

Your claim that China has controlled Tibet for 300 years is rubbish too. China under the Manchus sent expeditionary forces to invade Tibet a few times but never ruled Tibet.

Tibet behaved as a sovereign nation and had historic treaties with other countries which made no reference to China.

I checked the views of my local Chinese embassy about Tibet in their website.

The Chinese government claims that Tibet was declared as a province of China in 1911 when Sun Yat Sen overthrew the Manchu rulers and declared the modern republic. The Tibetans themselves however were no party to nor signatories to that declaration and no representative of the Government in Lhasa was present.

The Embassy's website also refers to Tibet as an independent province under the Quing dynasty.

This is the real history of Tibet

In 1642 the then Fifth Dalai Lama went to the throne of the Ming Emperor and demanded formal recognition of Tibet as a sovereign nation and that recognition was granted.

Manchus became involved when the Mongol Dzungars who were previously invited by the Dalai Lama's Gelugspa sect, became unpopular. The Young Sixth reincarnation of the dalai lama was born at Litang near the Chinese border. He requested Manchu assistance to rid Tibet of the political intrigues of Premier Lhazang Khan.

In 1720 the Manchus who were at war with the Dzungars elsewhere, sent the Dalai Lama with a Chinese army to drive the Dzungars from Lhasa. The Chinese left in 1723, but tried to impose a kind of regent and Chinese embassy known as the Ambon.

In 1727 the Chinese tried to impose their own form of Government on Tibet.

About 1748 the resident Manchu Ambon in Lhasa assassinated the Tibetan regent after the death of the 6th Dalai Lama. The Ambon themselves were then killed in retaliation.

In 1749 the Manchu Chinese tried to re-invade Tibet and establish Chinese control but they were driven back by military force.

In 1751 there was a treaty agreed between the Nepalese Newari kings and the 7th Dalai Lama which made no reference to Chinese rule of Tibet and acknowledged the Dalai Lama as the ruler of Tibet.

There were two further invasions of Tibet by Chinese. The last in 1910 was a betrayal after diplomatic talks between the Dalai Lama and the Chinese Emperor at Beijing the year before.

During the revolution of 1911 Manchu troops rebelled against their Manchu leaders and the Tibetans rallied to drive them back out of Tibet in 1912.

Thus until the Maoist invasion of 1949 there was no Chinese control over Tibet and Tibet struck various treaties and agreements with other nations as a sovereign power.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Thanks, that was refreshing, even if it was labored.

Anyway, not to derail the topic but you are so wrong about not needing us in WWII. The Japanese were slaughtering you guys, using biological weapons (unit 731) and all. On the Pacific front we were your best allies.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   

You wouldn't have to boycott Chinese products if there were American factories employing American workers and making products made in America. Are people going to boycott Chinese restaurants, I don't think so, I'm not. I like my beef and brockoli with lo mein (no vegetables in the lo mein) with plain fried rice. Trading with other nations is good, but it would be nice to make our own stuff too.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jitombe

I agree. Boycotting chinese restaurants here would not be wise considering they are employing americans and your dollars are not supporting the human rights violations of the PRC. Boycotting chinese products made in china would also help to bring jobs back here.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

dont bother yourself so much, [Snip]
to say directly that boycott the chinese candles, then you sell more. LOL...

Mod Edit: Personal comment removed. Please see Courtesy Is Mandatory and remember to go after the ball, not the player. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 22/3/08 by JAK]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by wwssii

Why do you insist on attacking me personally? I was hoping for more from you in the fine art of debate. Go back and re-read some of the posts and evaluate the things you have said...learn from your mistakes wwssi.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

i just cant help teasing you. no offense intentionally.
take it easy, mate.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join