It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writer Arthur C Clarke dies at 90

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Writer Arthur C Clarke dies at 90

news.bbc.co.uk

Legendary British science fiction writer Sir Arthur C Clarke has died in Sri Lanka at the age of 90.

He came to fame when his story, 2001: A Space Odyssey, was made into a film by film director Stanley Kubrick in 1968.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
A sad day for sci fi fans through out the world, it will be some time before anyone manages to fill his shoe's

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
He will be missed. I fail to think of any SF writers these days who come even close to this man's genius.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yes, he was quite good.
I actually didn't know he was still alive. 90 is a pretty good age to reach.

RIP, Mr. Clark. Have a nice journey.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by chromatico
He will be missed. I fail to think of any SF writers these days who come even close to this man's genius.

I agree. I was taken away by all his 2000 series. The detail and scientific texture to the book made it feel like a real account.

He definitely put some big ideas into the mass consciousness. Especially the idea that our development was spurred by extra-terrestrial (extra dimensional) stimulants. (The monolith).

Then, as mankind chases after the other monoliths, those found on the moon and in deep space, we are spurred into even deeper and more profound territory. Definitely one of the greatest concepts I've ever picked up from a writer.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Wow, that's a shock, I didn't know until I saw this thread. He really was a legend, I'd like to see his ashes scattered in space.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
There was already a thread on the same subject.

I suggest that people stop adding to this one (switch to the other).

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Rest in Peace Arthur C. Clarke. You´ve been a light to the world. May your journeys beyond the body take you to the places you dreamed up in your books.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I, too, mourn. He was an icon and will be missed.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
this is an EXTREMELY sad day

he was a genius with brilliant ideas.....

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
A great author. R.I.P.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This one hit me hard.

The last of the "big three," Clarke, Asimov and Heinlein.

Society is unfathomably enriched from his contributions, and slightly more empty at the loss of yet another great.

The impact of this loss is to speculative fiction as the loss of Ray Charles was to music.

Good by Sir Arthur.

CX

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Wow what a shame.

Arthur C Clarke was the first person to ever get me interested in the paranormal and mysteries of the world when i was a kid.

A sad loss indeed.

CX.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This is a sad day indeed, but I think it is better to celebrate the man's life and to share some of the ideas that inspired us all. He was the first to come up with the idea of satellites orbiting in space that would make communications across the globe possible, as well as many other things.

I think my favorite futuristic idea was in the book 3001: The Final Odyssey. He envisioned that we would one day build a giant ring in geostationary orbit around the Earth with elevators that people would ride up to the ring. Along this elevator were levels that you could get off and put on wings to float around in the low gravity. That would be fun.

Rest in peace Sir Arthur, and thank you.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
One of the true visionary writers of our age. He is right up there with HG Wells, Jules Verne, Asimov and Heinlein. He saw our modern world before the rest of us did.

He will be missed.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
"my god, it's full of stars!"

light speed mr clarke. thank you for all your contributions to mankind. you are already missed!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Curiousity and imagination and creativity. Thanks and see you around Arthur!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Like Isaac Asimov, i've read most of AC's books. He contributed so much to science and opening people's minds. It was just a little while ago that I saw him being interviewed on TV and he appeared very ill. A great man to the end. God bless your soul and R.I.P. Arthur C. Clarke!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
He brought a lot of people a lot of pleasure. The City and the Stars is one of the best books of all time, and written in the 1930's! (well, the original version Against the Fall of Night was anyway). Incredible imagination and an incredible writer. God bless.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Arthur,

May your spirit live on in the minds and hearts of those that you've touched with your fantastical stories and lectures. Now, go out amongst the stars, for that is truly where we all belong.

We miss you... farewell.

TheBorg

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join