It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dalai Lama offers to resign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Dalai Lama offers to resign

www.news.com.au

THE Dalai Lama says he will resign as leader of Tibet's exiles if unrest in his Himalayan homeland worsens.

The Buddhist leader, speaking in the northern Indian town of Dharamshala where his exiled government is based, said today he was opposed to the violence that erupted in Tibet last week.

The unrest saw Chinese shops and banks torched and smashed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
This shocked me when i first heard it. My initial reaction was that this would cause an escalation of violence by the Chinese, however, i now understand i think he was referring to his only people. Get them to stop the violence against the Chinese.

Drastic move, however, anything to help ease the violence. I do think it will be a sad day if this Buddhist leader has to step down due to pressure of violence.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

I too was shocked when reading about the Dalai Lama's possible resignation.

When a leader is no longer effective it is time to step down. Who is he leading? Obviously, he is not leading his people or they would not be resorting to violence.

Dizzie

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
either that or he is starting to see peace doesnt bring peace.....

A Solution brings peace.... Peace against War will bring Pieces..... He teaches well he teaches truth an all that is.... But it is not him to needs to be taught, nor his pupils.... it is the rest of the world who do not understand him or what message he brings about...

I hope these efforts of theirs are not in vein.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well, I am somewhat ashamed to even offer this suggestion but...

The Dalai Lama is a man. He has been deified and the Chinese government knows this. He is worshipped and idolized. This happens to all spiritual leaders, all gurus, etc. It is unavoidable: but it's also extremely dangerous. When a man is deified, he can be used as a tool of influence. And no man, no matter how pious and religious and moral can avoid being used as a tool of influence. If he is threatened by torture, his followers will do anything to save him... if he is threatened by death, his followers will do anything to protect him.

It is my opinion that the Chinese government has been exercising covert influence on the Dalai Lama - and that they have told him that if the Tibetans do not get in line there is going to be serious trouble. And so, the Dalai is threatening to resign. He has no choice. He doesn't want to see his Tibetans murdered and he is obligated to be the intermediary with the Chinese government...

The man is a metaphysical genius. He can see through politics as if it were transparent ice. He knows what actions he has to take and he knows what worldly influence he posseses.

His threat to resign is probably both moral and political. He is a tool of influence and a spiritual leader.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Can the Dali Lama resign?

Isn't that kinda like the Pope saying he's going to retire early.

Or Jesus telling God he'd rather do the carpentry thing instead.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColdWater
Can the Dali Lama resign?

Isn't that kinda like the Pope saying he's going to retire early.

Or Jesus telling God he'd rather do the carpentry thing instead.

That's what i thought. Can someone confirm or deny this?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

The Dalai Lama is a reincarnation of Buddha. He is BORN into the office. He can't quit!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well, I guess he's saying That's All Folks. It's Disney World for me.

Kinda like following Forest Gump for 5 years and then he stops running and everybody looks at each other like "What do we do now?"

Run Dalai Lama Run

[edit on 18-3-2008 by ColdWater]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by chromatico

The Dalai Lama is a reincarnation of Buddha. He is BORN into the office. He can't quit!

Thankyou... i went looking and found this:

news.bbc.co.uk...

The crux of the answer is that the Dalai Lama has two roles - religious and political - and he can only resign from one of them.

When he was a boy of three, Lhamo Thondup was "discovered" by a special search party to be the new Dalai Lama, and taken to the Tibetan capital, Lhasa.

He was given a new name, Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso, and installed as the new Dalai Lama at the Potala Palace in 1940.

And, according to Tibetan tradition, he will remain the Dalai Lama until he dies, with it being impossible for him lose or give up the position in any other way.

What he has threatened is that, if Tibetans turn to violence, it would be impossible for him to be the political head of their movement and he would have to resign.

He has made this threat before. Tibet's government-in-exile in India has in recent years become more democratic in the picking of its cabinet and other key leaders. But the Dalai Lama retains overall leadership, much in the manner of a lifelong head of state. Resigning from this position would represent a major statement.

So i guess this confirms our answer.

I also found this:

buddhism.about.com...

His Holiness has already publicly discussed the possibility that he will be the last Dalai Lama. It is also possible he will choose and enthrone the next Dalai Lama while he is still alive. This would prevent the Chinese government from choosing the 15th Dalai Lama, as they did with the Panchen Lama.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Oh that is just not so, his people Love him completely and always will as he is the cornerstone of the Buddhist community globally.
This is a move to try and save the lives of his Llama's and Nun's and devotee's that are being persecuted for their religions beliefs.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

or another suggestion:

He saw a lot of young frustrated unemployed and often uneducated men were blaming everyone but themselves for being unemployed.
He saw that these angry frustrated young men were being midled and used by terrorists.
He saw that these angry frustrated used young men took advantage of the peaceful protest by peaceful monks & nuns to start a violent riot targetted at innocent Han Chinese and Hui Muslims who did made a living with hard-working.
He saw that these angry frustrated used violent young men lost their minds and became out-of control killing and burning innocent human beings.
He saw that his words alone could not stop these angry frustrated used violent young men anymore, so he has to resort to blackmailing them and the terrorists who used them that he will step up if they continue and escalate the violent riots, which will cause these terrorists losing their main influence tool to fuel their puppets.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
A contemptible scoundrel

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
He knows that his followers won't allow that. It's just an Opera.

His "free Tibet" movement and cliche in Tibet had just failed an uprising... which the world saw was violent as hell. (Maybe not in US and Britain.. no different from the communist media) Mostly importantly, the general population did not rise up, like "Bay of the Pigs" incident. I come to realise that large portion of the Tibet population are not what the media is made up to be.. else they would have all rise up... definately not a few hundred strong.

This C!A paid Lama just covering his own arse.

I see Tibet is to Brits, Like Cuba is to USA. The one that got away. That's why BBC is the most critical media of China.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
what a hypocrite Do-lie lama is. trying really hard to pretend like a holy saint. and no matter how hard he try, we always see through him.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Nothing more than a political stunt.

Tourists arriving today in Kathmandu from Lhasa said rampaging Tibetan youths stoned and beat Chinese people and torched stores, but that the situation there was now calm following a major Chinese security clampdown.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Let me guess, all posters referring to the Dalai as a crook have allegiance to China... am I right?

I see no reason you could possibly call a Llama a scoundrel, crook etc.

However, to see a Llama as a political figure who is capable of stunts... that is an easier thing for me to grasp.

But to call him a crook? That seems like Chinese sentiment.

new topics

top topics

join