It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What you get with 5 hours of cable news.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

2008 State of the Media Report

If one were to have watched five hours of cable news, one would have seen about:

* 35 minutes about campaigns and elections
* 36 minutes about the debate over U.S. foreign policy
* 26 minutes or more of crime
* 12 minutes of accidents and disasters
* 10 minutes of celebrity and entertainment

On the other hand, one would have seen:

* 1 minute and 25 seconds about the environment
* 1 minute and 22 seconds about education
* 1 minute about science and technology
* 3 minutes and 34 seconds about the economy
* 3 minutes and 46 seconds about health and health care

More...

Think about that...1 min of science or news about the environment...less than 4 on the economy...

Remember, it takes five hours of consumption to get even that!

No wonder I get blank stares every time I mention something significant in any of those areas to someone face-to-face.

Good grief.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
We all know the media isn't about issues. "News" really means "how can we create more fear in the public."

I may be paranoid, but I ain't afraid of dying. The media has the American public more scared of Al Qaeda than the serial killers and rapists on their own block. Sad.

Those statistics are really sad. Its not a terrible thing we have coverage of the election, but that's what the politically based television stations are for. The local and national "news" stations shouldn't be playing the election. There's issues like Darfur to worry about.

Some Americans think Africa is a country...and don't even know who the President is.

We are the most complacent public in the world.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

5 hours huh..

So.. thats what we get with 5 hours.. interesting.

Tell me.

In 5 hours of watching the news, and only getting an average of 1 to 2 mins on important issues...

How much time is spent watching commercials.

And I noticed celebrities are not on this as well...

Cable - Network Evening - Online - Newspapers
Government 7% 5% 6% 6%
Elections/ Politics 17 8 8 11
Crime 13 6 7 4
Economics/ Business 3 7 5 12
Environment 1 3 1 2
Health/ Medicine 2 8 2 7
Science/ Technology < 1 2 1 2
Immigration 5 1 1 3
Other Domestic Affairs* 10 15 7 13
Disasters/Accidents 6 7 6 2
Celebrity/ Entertainment 5 1 1

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Rockpuck thanks for bringing up the "celebrity gossip" and commercials on television topic up.

I was going to mention commercials before, but I forgot. For every 5-10 minutes of television (depending on what channel) there's 5 minutes of commercials. That's a pretty terrible ratio.

It seems marketing has taken over television and is spreading quickly to the internet...

Better get vaccinated.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Good thread

Amazing isn't it? And what's funny, is most people have no idea the stuff that's going on.

Why talk so much about disasters/accidents/and crime? THAT'S what I don't get. I can understand entertainment. I don't agree with it, but hell, it sells. But WHY the aforementioned? You can't tell me THAT stuff sells.

Curiouser and curiouser...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Awesome thread Loam
as always.

I think if I watch 5 hours of cable news my brain would melt right out of my head.

Sensationalism, its what sells thats why they show so much crime, accidents and basically bad things that happens to people. I read somewhere back in the 70's when crime was steadily going down, that news station were increasing there coverage of crime, making it appear that crime was worse than it really was. Ever wonder why on your local news, they report murders first?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Yeah, good point, but it just seems like it's becoming more and more common to hear people say that they don't like the news because it's all bad.

I wonder why they even feel the need to tell me about a child who was beaten to death and the guy was arrested, or a family get killed in a car accident. I just don't see how that is news at all. Stuff happens everyday, and we're not going to ever stop it. All it does is depress people.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

Mob mentality? like in school when a fight broke out, everyone gathered around to watch, or if a fire happens, or a car accident, you just can't help but to look.

Notice sports is last, unless some one Really gets hurt, or breaks the law.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Loam,

Do you think it is this way by hierarchical design... or by rating-grabbing default?

Sri Oracle

top topics

join