It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Final version Vista sp1 available

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
32 bit version

This is the 5 language version.

:pbjti me:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Mon, you are on it man!!! Always first with the M$ goodies. Thanx to you, i dont feel the need to read my technet emails anymore. You Rock Buddy!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
It says I should not download it if I am only updating one computer. While I am actually updating 3 with Vista, when i go to "Windows Download", it says "No New Updates Available"

Should I wait until it comes out on my update site?

Semper

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
They are sayin that cuz its supposed to be a network admins download to run around to all the little workstations or push it off the server. Its perfectly fine to download and install Semper.

Throw it on a flash drive or copy off your local network to the other 2 and run it there also.

Let us know how it helps (or hinders) your system. lol jk. Ive heard good things about it. Im not currently running vista anymore. I found myself only booting over to look at new patches or to see if a certain software would work. So i whacked that partition a couple months ago.

Silver

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I'm going to start the download here in a minute, as soon as I am through here on ATS. I'm betting it's a HUGE download...

Semper

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Not too bad. Only 434meg. I pulled it in no time flat. Gonna put it on my flash drive with all my other tools for customer use during the day. Good Luck.

Silver

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Well when I awoke this morning, I was fully SP1...

Seems to be working fine...

Let you all know how it goes on the Lap-Top later today...

Semper

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
For those who installed SP1 already, did you turn off all other running programs, or just leave things as they are and install?

Since my XP SP1 disaster, I am a bit gun shy about these SP thingies.
Of course, I was very, very computer illiterate at the time

an interesting SP1 review
www.winsupersite.com...

~~~~~~

FWIW, from what I have read, you should not download install SP1 until it shows up as an update on your computer.
Installing from the website is a much larger download, including updates that may already be on your computer..

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I just left everything running as usual, but I'm a HUGE proponent of "msconfig" and so I only have a bare minimum of programs running at any one time anyway...

Other than the Firefox issue (Other Thread) I have had no surprises or "Glitches" as it were....

I'm on this machine, work and play and ATS about 4 to 5 hours in a day...

Semper

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I just left everything running as usual, but I'm a HUGE proponent of "msconfig" and so I only have a bare minimum of programs running at any one time anyway...

Could you explain this, how you are using it to run your system optimally?
I know what it is, just not what you mean, being a proponent of it.
(or maybe I need coffee
)

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I use "MSCONFIG" to make sure that only the ABSOLUTELY necessary programs and services are starting up when I start my PC.

(I disable all start-up programs except those necessary for safety, security and optimal performance)

Nothing extraneous running ever.

Keeps the girl running smooth and sleek...

Semper

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
After some 3 hours (for uninstalling the beta version of SP1 and installing the final version, everything is running smoothly.

IE7 looks a bit faster when opening and saving pages (that was what I was doing before the update), and the whole system looks more responsive than before, even better than with the beta version.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I have been using sp1 for the past few days with no problems yet. Took forever to download, but at least I can put it on my laptop without downloading again.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
After installing SP1, and although it was working as it should, I decided to update the drivers for my motherboard and integrated sound card.

After the update, trying to open the control panel would always produced a blue screen, so I had to uninstall it.

Edit: I forgot to say that my motherboard is an Asus A7V8X with a Realtek AL650 integrated sound chip.

[edit on 24/3/2008 by ArMaP]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Edit: I forgot to say that my motherboard is an Asus A7V8X with a Realtek AL650 integrated sound chip.

ArMap, did you see this link:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

It lists which RealTek stuff is at risk.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
After you have installed Sp1 and rebooted (our sole purpose in life according to MS)

You need to run ccleaner

and then defrag. (I like defraggler-yes spelled just like that)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Yes, I saw it, thanks, and that was one of the reasons I went looking for a more recent version.

The one I installed was from Via, the makers of the motherboard chipset, and apparently that was the origin of the problem.

I downloaded the most up to date version from the Realtek site, but it keeps on asking if I really want to install the unsigned driver.

Edit: problem solved. I installed the old driver for the board (from 2003) and it works.

[edit on 24/3/2008 by ArMaP]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

I love CCleaner

Tell me, does defrag run any faster with SP1?

*embarrassed*
I still haven't installed the blasted thing.
*sugh*

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Well, I suggest you use the 3rd party one I linked to-defraggler (what a name).
(I suspect you are refering to the built in defragger)
Defraggler

I find it is the best free defragger.

As for SP1-it ran on both pre and post with no issues.

I think SP1 makes all programs run a bit better.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Well i got bored the other nite and shrunk up a chunk of one of my drives to install Ultimate. Surprisingly enough its the smoothest its ever ran with this patch on this machine.

I dual boot because i only gave it 50gb to work with and the OS load with productivity (ie..Office, Alcohol, AV & AS) installed eats up the bulk of it. No issues or slowdowns. I do see it eating alot of ram for not much running still.

But all in all, its not to shabby so far. Im gonna install more programs and see how it fairs. Ill let yall know how it goes.

top topics

join