It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the USA ask for help?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

“Imperial Flummery”

Wow! That is such a great expression – you made my whole day. I needed something to cheer me up and that was just the trick.

As for the rest of your post, it is a little harsh but has a lot of truth in it. I am an older American and often look upon the younger people around me with great sadness. Like you my house, my cars and everything is paid for in full. My bank pays me interest – not the reverse. Most Americans, however, live on the edge, borrowing as much money as they can with no serious thought on how they will repay it.

We, the US, really do have only ourselves to blame for our financial mess. Unfortunately, many other countries are going to suffer financially when the US does. Our economies are too closely tied together. I’m sorry that our idiocy will affect you – but I am afraid it will.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

Source

RAFAEL EPSTEIN: In 1945, Britain and its allies had won the war, but Britain's economy was broken. Two world wars in 30 years had bankrupted the country.

UK NEWS BROADCAST (archival): In the small hours of this morning, May the 7th 1945, I saw the formal acknowledgment by Germany's present leaders, of their country's complete and utter defeat by land, in the air and at sea.

RAFAEL EPSTEIN: Millions of pieces of military equipment, including warships, had been handed over by the US for free, under the Lend Lease Program, in exchange for things like leases on military bases around the world.

Britain was in the same dark place we're about to find ourselves in, and you think it's amusing? Talk about ingrates..

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

What?

Are you faced with the impending threat of invasion a mere 20 miles away from your own soil?

I should think not, but anyway - I am truly thankful for the help we received from America, but what we ended up with was "America won the war", despite the fact that there were kids as young as 16 lying about their age to join up in the british army and stick it to the jerries.

And trust me, a fair few of those underage soldiers died on the beaches.

That level of patriotism is something you Americans haven't felt since the bloody days of your Revolution.

I'll remind you that England entered into WW2 voluntarily.

The economy has nothing to do with a man's desire to protect his family and kinsfolk.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

My father joined the Navy during WWII at the age 16, although he had already lost one brother who was in the Marines. There were a lot of American GI's who made the ultimate sacrifice as well, for a war that wasn't even there's.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

So are you arguing the point of economic failure or that of patriotism?

My point was that the people in Britain were willing to go into battle armed with nothing more than a shovel to dig their own grave with, if they thought it would help stop the nazis.

There were people who expected to die in that war, even when they were signing up.

I can't help but wonder whether or not if America thought we didn't stand a chance would they have stepped in - i mean, they did more or less wait until the last minute when the majority of western europe had been conquered to co-operate.

The responses of the American military and political establishment, although indeed worthy as it was, is questionable.

What you're doing is hiding behind a supposed victory as an explanation for why you didn't act sooner, and help save the lives of those lost on the continent.

Strategically, yes - it was the right time to strike.

But the cost of waiting for that opportunity...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I, nor my predecessors had any control of the government, so we as a people we have nothing to account for. Our men and women served when they were called, and thankfully for all of Europe their assistance helped save the day.

Is anyone asking Europe to kiss our backsides for that, no. All we ask is a little gratitude and maybe a little empathy from our former allies. All the gleeful, self-righteous comments are annoying. If we go bust, so will you, it'll just be a matter of when.

[edit on 3/18/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
There isn't much anyone can do to help the US economy now. The Amero will be brought into replace the dollar a lot quicker than expected, i suspect.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Throbber
ANYWHO, when all's said and done, i think it would be quite a welcome change of tune if the U.S started appealing for help - maybe then you guys will know a thing or two about international politics from the perspective of the little guy at that point.

....says the person who lives in the country famous for it's title as the most tyranical imperialist regime in human history
Just because jolly old England has lost a step doesn't mean that anyone has forgotten the hundreds of years of bullying, war mongering and opression waged under the Union Jack.

And guess what....if our economy tanks...guess who will be eating dirt along with us?

And for the record WE Americans did not do this to ourselves, this psychotic rogued government spent us trillions of dollars into debt, not the American people.

We have about as much say in what decisions are made by our crooked and corrupt government as you likely have in your own. Wise up, the American people are going to suffer through no fault of our own. As always we will foot the bill and take the blame all at once, nothing new really.

Gloat all you like friend, but come and see me soon after our economy folds, when the British pound is worth #e, then we will talk. The difference being, we do not sit around hoping for the collapse of the U.K. while it seems to be quite popular for you to do so in regards to our country.

With friends like you, who needs enemies?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Well said the only thing I would change is it is the middle class citizens that will foot the bill and take the blame as usual.We are the ones that really keep this country afloat.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
With the economic struggle the USA is dealing with right now, why don't the powers that be ask the rest of the world for help?

On another related thread it was recently stated that people in the US were unhappy that the cost of gas could soon reach $5 per gallon. I pointed out that it has been the equivalent of $7.25 per gallon in the UK for quite some time.

It was also mentioned on another thread that 744,313 people in the US are homeless ie 0.25% approx. I replied that 0.40% of the UK population are currently homeless. The UK may seem like a small country, but the US population is only five times that of ours. We also have immigrants pouring in from impoverished countries all over the world.

Our equivalent of your Federal Reserve interest rate is 5.25% and it's only just recently dropped to that. Yours is currently 2.25%. Nearly a third of my income is spent on monthly mortgage payments.

My own mortgage lender and one of the largest in the UK (Northern Rock)went under and had to be bailed out by the government towards the end of last year.

Our annual domestic fuel bill is around $2,000 and Community Tax is around $2,500 per year. If you smoke, cigarettes will cost you $10 a pack (for 20, not 200).. most of which is government tax.

However, my salary is no different to what I would be paid in the US. These aren't recent changes. It's been like this over here for many years. We've kind of slowly got used to feeling the 'pinch'. Whereas it's come as a bit of a shock to you.

I realise this doesn't make life any better for people in the US, but it might help you realise that you are not the only country and certainly not the first to feel the early effects of what is likely to be a world recession.

With that said, we'll get over it.. and yes, you're right. We've all got to help each other out.

(Sorry.. didn't have time to read the whole thread. Just responding to the initial post).

Afternote: BlackOps.. Nice to see you out and about (and letting off steam). I like your new avatar.. Is that a gun dog with a cigar in it's mouth?

[edit on 18/3/08 by Myrdyn]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Wish i could travel back in time.
President sir someone from the future to see you.
Hey FDR the tommies are geting real bitchy in the future.
Instead of all that war material, send them a rubber duck will ya.

Uhhh- for our tommie friends just kidding, but for the rest of ya well....

Four members of my family all lied about their ages to fight the japs and the germans.
All voluntary, one wounded on normandy, one on guadalcanal.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by TimeTracker]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

This has been puzzling me as of late.

With the economic struggle the USA is dealing with right now, why don't the powers that be ask the rest of the world for help?

Just what help would be welcome and received??

will the foreign nations just give back the US Treasury bonds they have?

or will they say, American wheat is $20 per bushel, but we are gonna pay $40 as a gesture to help Americas' economy...

or maybe the world can bring together a think-tank of super smart economists and devise a program for America toget out of the financial straits America is in now...

none of those above hypotheticals are realistic,
the hidden truth is that Americas' economic struggle was planned,
the Fed and other globalist/elites are engaged in the methodical devaluation of the US dollar...
the credit & mortgage crisis' are just two focus points from which the
devaluation and lack-of-confidence-in-the-dollar is being played out. !!

there isn't any help..for a system that does not want help to begin with

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TimeTracker

I understand that you're probably reacting to the Throbber/Black Ops chat above, and I can understand why. One small point though.. The US didn't join in the fight until the Japenese blasted Pearl Harbour. A couple of days later, Italy and Germany declared War on the US. It wasn't as if you came over here to help us out. It was to get revenge. Just like 9/11 and Iraq.

However, that's all past history and has nothing to do with this topic. I have to admit, some of the comments about an engineered crisis have got me thinking. Economic crisis.. homelessness.. riots.. national emergency.. detention camps.. elections postponed.. hero saves the day. Sounds like a smokescreen to me. Something else is happening.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrdyn
reply to post by TimeTracker

I understand that you're probably reacting to the Throbber/Black Ops chat above, and I can understand why. One small point though.. The US didn't join in the fight until the Japenese blasted Pearl Harbour. A couple of days later, Italy and Germany declared War on the US. It wasn't as if you came over here to help us out. It was to get revenge. Just like 9/11 and Iraq.

However, that's all past history and has nothing to do with this topic. I have to admit, some of the comments about an engineered crisis have got me thinking. Economic crisis.. homelessness.. riots.. national emergency.. detention camps.. elections postponed.. hero saves the day. Sounds like a smokescreen to me. Something else is happening.

Actually just jokeing on the tommie thing.
In ww2 if we all had not pulled togeather my name would be rudolph or something.
I know what you mean ever since 9-11 i'v had this feeling of not being in the know of whats really going on.
I've often wondered if maybe that they know that the whole world is on borrowed time. Hence the blatant greed and coruption, and things that under normal circumstances would not go on.

Oh did i saw would , i meant should not go on.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
There's not much other countries can do.

The current problems with the U.S. economy has stemmed from the banking system and their bad judgments on loans as well as them not keeping enough assets on hand (partly because of the Federal Reserve's low interest rates for a while). When loans started going into default, the banks had to write them off as liabilities (yet their assets were loaned out). This is what started the crisis and the liquidity and credit problems.

Food inflation and energy inflation is also a problem for Americans-but also for other people around the world. This is simply due to the demand being higher than supply and will continue to occur as long as people: 1) have a lot of babies and people live longer, 2) Stanadard of livings rise around the world, especially in the most populous regions.

Trust me...it isn't only Americans suffering, and it probably won't get better anytime soon. Especially if prices continually rise.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Thank you all
I have not had a good laugh all day long
I don't mean that badly. We all need a good silly argument now and then. Those darn Brit's anyway

Why would we need help? Who could help us? This chart is from 2000 but the stats are similar today. While viewing remember we only have about 5% of the worlds population. Look at China with I think close to 22%.

This gloom and doom around here has now reached the point I'm wondering how many here are suffering from paranoid delusions. Unemployment is very low. The market barely responded to the recent bank debacle. Even as high as oil is our gas prices are very low from a world perspective. Compared to the last century this would still be considered a time of prosperity by any standards.

The dollar is not going to fail.

There is no such thing as an Amero.

Only foolish people were hurt by the sub-prime loans.

The talking heads on the news are exaggerating the crap out of the economic situation because it is an election year. Nothing new as it happens every four years like clockwork.

Prices are only higher because fuel is higher and we are simply joining the rest of the worlds situation on that issue.

Is it that you folks want something bad to happen so much you are willing to fabricate a crisis to fit? On that question I am serious.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Not to worry dude, i'm sure the jews will bail you out.

Blackops, i did refer in an edit to the 'political' relationship between our countries, which can be seen to be quite one sided at times (Iraq).

It would seem some sort of misunderstanding has arisen due to the heated debate, as the feedback towards my posts seem to be showing a perception that i am attacking the American public - whom probably aren't so hyped up about the whole issue quite the way our political representatives do occasionally.

I assure that i respect the fact that the people serving the military during those times were acting under orders, and that it wasn't as if individual warships could choose to attack enemy ports or patrols at a whim - i respect that those who serve in the armed forces are fighting for their nation's interests.

However, from the perspective of a British National, i kinda have to wonder whether or not you're seriously considering asking us or any european nation for help - we're anything but well-off in international terms, and our major cities are plagued by forgotten riots and fresh criticisms.

Essentially, yes - i agree that what damages you damages us, but thing's aren't as chirpy-tuned as that; In England we've had our own problems, such as the nationalising of Northern Rock Bank and issues to do with campaign funding (To the point of which people have resigned), so not only do we have our own financial woes to contend with, we have a Government that really... Doesn't seem to care.

Good luck getting Cash from the Frogs.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

I don't want to be mean but do you have any idea how much help America did get. How much money they have loaned. That is 9381804003382 dollars and 77 cents.

I don't see any problems with helping USA citizens, but if the government would ask me for money I'd defenitly say no. But the "normal"people, yes of course. They are not the ones that have been ruining things.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Do not delude yourself.

"The Powers That Be"

...are orchestrating the collapse.

Novus Ordo Mundi

The real question is... after this collapse... will YOU accept their new world government, work camps, and new world currency?

Or will YOU finally plant a seed. Never spend currency again; live with what you have, what grows before you, and what is given to you freely by your bretheren.

Love and share with thy brother freely; all of the Earthly Mother's ever growing bounty.

I am not the box store,

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Heres me thinking the topic of this thread was....

Will the USA ask for help?

and not "people who have no idea what they are talking about bickering about WW2 out of some jingoistic sense of false national pride".

So can we get back to the topic, please?

If you want to debate WW2, pick an appropriate forum and start a topic there about it, because it most certainly is NOT a Current Event, as it occurred over 60 years ago.

Thanks everso

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join