It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Addressing death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
In Hawaii, sky like that of the empyrean Starry Night over the Rhone, on the laptop by the beach, full moon, ebb and flow of the tide - all that of the characteristic, no- cliche scene of the life changing revelation... I have come to gain a profound realization concerning dying. Anyone else feel the pit of their stomach keel in at the serious thought of lying in a terminal hospital bed at old age and dying? That I can truly imagine myself there in that exact second of my death is so rooted and disturbing.

I'm not talking about a glorified death versus a peaceful passing on contention. The moment itself will actually come and I don't plan on wasting any time (at least I'll try) though a glorified heroic death or one shortly following my intellectual peak would be much more exhilarating (Alexander).

It's juts that deep feeling of actually dying, actually being there, whether it be 50 years from now or 50 seconds that is entrenched at the bay of my body. That feeling and that moment is likely assured. I'd honestly like to fantasize about longevity and the scientific achievements of the coming centuries, but that is ignorant to say the least. Can anyone out there say they share this penetrating feeling? Am I alone?

[edit on 18-3-2008 by waywatcher]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I don't quite understand what you mean.
Could you go into a bit more detail?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
accepting death as a fact of life is healthy. dwelling on it isn't. or maybe it is, who knows, im not a doctor, or a therapist... but i wouldn't believe them either!

and more on the morbid topic, I don't think about myself dying often, but I see other people dying all the time. I usually imagine how it would feel if family members / friends were to die unexpectedly. Not that I like to think about it, but it just pops up. In fact, whenever I look someone in the face, I immediately envision what they would look like at a very old age. Just a habit, not even sure where I picked it up.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by scientist]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I find it really hard to believe that you can simply accept death as you do. Although I'm playing the audacious role here, you're notion on accepting death is totally conceited. I know it's inevitable and I don't want in any way to bring you down with me into a frightened or depressed state. I just wanted to know if someone out there can empathize on an emotional level.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems just so arrogant when people say how death's inevitability benefits one to "not even think about it".

[edit on 20-3-2008 by waywatcher]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Well I have studied life all my life. I have seen people being born, watched as others grew, watched people live their lives, watched others retire, watched as others fell to illness and had to be taken care of in a nursing home. I even worked at a nursing home for a while and saw as people died. Life is a wondrous thing. Death is nothing to fear, I have been in the room with a terminally ill person while they died right in front of me. The body of course struggles with the idea after the person passes on. Rigger-mortise seems to be the body's last desperate act to save itself. Then your body is pretty much meat. It decomposes and withers away to fuel other life forms and return what you have taken from this world back to it.

Now the spirit. Who knows what happens to that. Whether it's heaven or hell or your an atheist and you believe that death is the final curtain call and after that blackness. It's all a belief system that we just don't know about until after we go through it ourselves.

Me being scared of death? Why should I be afraid? It hasn't happened to me yet.

top topics

join