It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Poles be permitted to join the British Army?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Call for Poles to be allowed to join UK Army

Army recruitment officers want a review of restrictions on foreigners serving in the British forces, after a surge in interest from Polish immigrants hoping to join up.

People from outside the Commonwealth must currently live in Britain for five years and take British citizenship before they can sign up.

However, as the manning crisis in the Armed Forces deepens, a surge of interest from Polish immigrant workers has prompted some to call for a loosening of the rules.

With the British Army short by "5,500" troops could the option for Poles to be granted permission to join the British Army be a solution to both the current manpower shortage in the Army and help put a pin in the silly "us" and "them" view that some people have with Poles working in the UK.

I have nothing against the proposal to permit Poles to join the British Army in fact I'd go so far as to support it, I think they'd be a credit to the uniform they wish to wear.

Watching the "Wright Stuff" this morning an individual had phoned in and expressed the opinion they shouldn't be permitted to serve for the simple reason they aren't British, however what this rather ignorant chappy forgot was that our Army is made up of many different nationalities who are just as loyal as anyone born within the UK.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The Poles are a very brave and battle hardened nation who have a long and proud miltary tradition.
The Free Poles who escaped Poland and fought alongside The Allies during World War 2 fought most gallantly and bravely.
The majority of Poles also hold the British Military in high regard and esteem and they also tend to have a huge respect for Britain as we "went to war for Poland".

On those grounds I would have no reservations in allowing Polish people to serve in the British Armed Forces.

But would that be papering over the cracks?
Shouldn't we be asking ourselves;
"Why is there a shortfall of 5,500 in our Armed Forces?"
"Why are there so many Poles living here?"

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Watching the "Wright Stuff" this morning an individual had phoned in and expressed the opinion they shouldn't be permitted to serve for the simple reason they aren't British, however what this rather ignorant chappy forgot was that our Army is made up of many different nationalities who are just as loyal as anyone born within the UK.

Excellent point; the Gurkhas aren't British either yet they serve the UK with distinction. Indeed, they are considered to be an elite unite and are very highly regarded. The French have their Foreign Legion, too, which is widely respected. I don't see why Poles who want to serve in the UK armed forces can, so long as they take up British citizenship and meet the entry requirements (fitness, speaking English and so on) then there shouldn't be any problem at all.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Indeed.

I ummed about this for a while, but I agree with Ste2652.

If they can cut the mustard with regards to entrance requirements, speak English, become British and pledge allegiance to the Queen, then I don't care much if they're Polish or Martian.

Cannon fodder is cannon fodder, after all.....

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
The Poles are a very brave and battle hardened nation who have a long and proud miltary tradition.

Quite right!

As the GURKHA's have fought alongside the British army (and still do to this day) why not welcome "any nationality" that is willing to fight for and join the British army?

Just so long as the required standards are met, and perhaps after a propsed term of 5years of service, then as, in the F.F.L citizenship is then allowed?

I cannot see a problem with Poles joing the British army

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Why not?

They fought with us in the second world war, so I don't see a problem. If they want to fight, let them.

If citizens from the Republic of Ireland and Commonwealth can join, why not the Poles?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Yeah, if they are loyal to Britain and can meet the entry requirements, it's ok.

However, it seems like they want more young men to send off to the Middle East. Hmmm.....Iran, Mr. Brown?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Yeah, if they are loyal to Britain and can meet the entry requirements, it's ok.

Loyal... How soon we forget the Polish Paratroopers who gave their lives at Arnheim Bridge for the British ?

How soon we forget the Poles who flew and gave their lives in the Battle of Britain ?

During WW2 these guys were regular heros for the British.

And whislt the Brits are at it, why can't former Gurkas settle in the UK.

Even asking this question makes me ashamed to hold a British passport.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

So it is wrong of me to suggest that someone who wants to join the British Army should be loyal to Britain? It was not meant as an offence. Good day, amigo.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
i realy dont see why people have such a problem with the polish in our country or in our forces.most of them work incredibly hard at the jobs most of us are too lazy to do.Also the whole issue about them not even being able to speak english is almost not true,not only can a big part of them speak enlgish aswell as other languages but alot of the poles are highly educated, besides how many of us english can speak another language....let alone polish.they died for us in world war two, and were abanodond by us and forced to live under stalins rule after we used them.they have more than earnd the right to fight with us.im joining soon and i would be much happier to serve with a pole than half of the english people i have met my age.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
hi i come from poland
i saty in uk for 3 years and
i wontet to join british army they said i cant
only way is to change the nationaliti but am proud to be polish and i wont to stay polsih
i need help
my dad stay in uk for 5 years and me and my mum and 2 sisters moved to his house in scotland
could he change my full family nationalities to british?
becouse he stay 5 years and we for 3 years or me all need to be in britain for 5 years
sorry about my english

could sombody conntact me and help waht i need to do to join the army
thanx very much andrzej.bartkowiak@ntlworld.com email me if you can
thanks

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
id welcome the polish to join our armed forces, much has already been said about ww11 and the fact that many non-brits are in our armed forces.
as for an answer to why our armed forces have a shortfall of 5,500 well take a look at SOME of the youths that go to the Balearics, hang around mcdonalds and outside your corner shops!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Cant see why the Poles would want to Join the British Army after they were alledgedly used as "cannon fodder" during the WW2 Arnhem landings.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I think all immigrants should prove their dedication to the UK by serving. And yes that would include sending muslims to the front lines in iraq / afghanistan. If people aren't willing to demonstrate their loyalty to the Queen and her country they have no business in being here. And that goes double for asylum seekers.

simple as.

It would deter loads from coming over for an easy life and claiming ridiculous benefits.

new topics

top topics

join