It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US dollar is DONE!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by chromatico
reply to post by Divinorumus

What do you know?

My dollar spent just fine down at the store today.

What did your dollar get you? Just curious.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by scrapple
I wonder if you would consider the (1-2) million Iraqi civilians who have been displaced from their meager means of production

And just who displaced them?

If you are suggesting that life in Iraq would be better if a cruel dictator was in charge, who would resort to any extreme measure to maintain control, you might be right in this case.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Xtrozero]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Really..lol.....Done huh..Well than I wish like hell the rest of the world would QUIT ASKING US for them. Next time a disaster hits a poor part of the world we will sit back with our worthless money and laugh.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe
It makes me laugh when people talk as though every person is going to be homeless living in a cardboard box by next year. Actually im curious if some of you even know what the term sub prime even means.

It's hilarious isn't it?

Then again 63,000 Americans lost their jobs last month, 20 million homes are upside down, 1 in 400 Americans are homeless, 1 in 25 New Orleanians are homeless. 200+ American citizens live under the underpass at I-10 and Canal St. New Orleans. FEMA is closing shop and kicking out thousands.

Your right, it makes me laugh too.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

What do you know?

I know more than I ever wanted to know. But that was my futures fault.

My dollar spent just fine down at the store today.

That's why I said wait, you'll see.

Seriously, if I'm wrong about this, someone else explain how a never ending trade imbalance is suppose to magically work out for everyone. How many gazillion dollars can we keep printing and exchanging for all that necessary China-Mart crap and high polluting oil before they catch onto our imbalanced con?

America is a corporation that has been totally mismanaged, with everyone at the top robbing her for everything they can get. And then they are abandoning her. Like the housing situation, the rest of the world can foreclose on America too. Of course, don't heed the writing on the wall. The collapse does require a LOT of people who don't think it could happen to make it happen.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by scrapple
I wonder if you would consider the (1-2) million Iraqi civilians who have been displaced from their meager means of production

And just who displaced them?

If you are suggesting that life in Iraq would be better if a cruel dictator was in charge, who would resort to any extreme measure to maintain control, you might be right in this case.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Xtrozero]

Xtrozero,
My reply was to West Coast's assertion that the US acts as a equilibrium , making it a richer more peaceful world.

To answer your question, I believe that American Coalition actions displaced them, and that if you were forced to move from your home tomorrow and sent to refg. camps in either Mexico or Canada with no work visa / citizenship, or a known path to return, I am guessing you would agree that this brand of equilibrium stinks.

As for America, dictators, Sadam and the US enforcement of UN Iraq peace terms post the First Gulf war, I bet most dead or displaced civl. Iraqi's since the new war would wish to go back to that Devil. All recent intervention has done IMO is play “the hard place” in a wicked, unprovoked, and probably unnecessary situation.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by scrapple]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Interesting isn't it too, how the Feds and the government keep helping and bailing out the bankers, and the big wall street players, all the billionaires, etc., yet they won't bail out the peasants hit by high oil prices? Amazing how GW is willing to bend over backwards and do "whatever it takes" to save his rich CEO and billionaire buddies, but not those that voted him into office? You all should be rioting in the streets! Americans have become sheeple, haven't they. I'm so disappointed with them, they will let anyone walk all over them, even their own king. SHEEPLE!

I don't like it one bit, but unfortunately you are right. The Feds couldn't bail out Bear Stearns fast enough. Guess what happens to the average Joe who can't pay the mortgage anymore? Do the Feds step in and lend some billions? If you are lucky you will get a measly $800 in May from the IRS. Good luck with that ...

I agree that many "homeowners" should not have been granted a loan. They were also not forced to sign the dotted line. But all the banks and financial institutions were not forced to accept those customers either. And who was better prepared to make an educated decision in this matter? So bailing out the real culprits is a clear message: f@#$ you Joe Average. You are nothing but a pawn, totally expendable. We don't care if your world crumbles. All we care about is our little game called GREED, a.k.a. capitalism run amok.

The mechanisms at play right now are fascinating and deeply troubling. The masks are dropping fast. Study the market closely in the next 2 weeks and see what's really going on. Today the Dow closed @ +420. Fascinating ...

PS: Can somebody link me to the John Titor thread? Did he mention market crash?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I read the first few pages and I have a couple of questions and then I'll catch up maybe.
Is the Dollar and the euro supposed to be worth the same?
For instance it's somethign outrageous like 1000 yen for a candy bar in china. While in america it's a half a dollar
The yen is supposed to be a smaller increment. I think the paco is this way as well I know it takes more pacos to equal a dollar because mexico's economy is bad. But the paco is just not supposed to be worth as much.
I hope this can sum it up, Do you think all the races in the universe count by 10's So.. Is the euro and dollar supposed to be the same?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Hey guys, so this is my first post, nice to meet all of you.

I have a quick question for anyone that may be knowledgeable in this subject. I want to invest in some Euros. Even if the dollar doesn't collapse, the returns I could get with it declining so much are better than any interest rate I'm going to get at the bank. I was thinking about buying them in Traveler's Cheques, but let's say that the Dollar did collapse..what would happen to the worth of my Traveler's Cheques? Would that effect my Traveler's Cheques since they are American Express? If it would be better for me to go to an actual bank and exchange for tangible currency instead of a check then I could do that, but if I can just buy the checks online and save the hassle of driving without having to worry about them being worthless then I would prefer to do that. I would get an actual account, but I need to invest a minimum of $10k..Forex I believe. Any advice or information is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
At the Euros inception the exchange rate was 86cents to one Euro. Today the exchange rate is $1.56 to one Euro.

Possible correction - is this accurate or was this just within the last 8 years? Anyone?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by West Coast

It is true that pollution is a major problem in China but that is slowly being addressed. As for the middle class in China, I have one question. Have you ever been to China or in fact lived there?

Should you be basing your facts upon what is published in the US, it is in no way conclusive of what is actually occurring within the middle class population of China.

One of the problems China faces is the fact that their infrastructure is not geared to handle the movement of people due to economic affluence. During the Spring festival, coupled with the extreme cold weather and movement of people, they came into gridlock. However, they still managed to move 1 million plus people through the GZ train station fairly quickly.

They are trying to keep up with the demand on water, gas and electricity. Fuel prices are are 1/3 - 1/2 that of the US or about $2.50 a gallon. The price of gas of course is higher in Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Shanghai, Chengzhen, Zhuhai and Beijing. Just like any other major city. Considering that the cars get on average 25% or better fuel mileage than vehicles in the US it's even cheaper.

Most people in the US believe that the Chinese people are poor and can't afford anything. Well, most pay cash for their homes, cars, tv's, food, cloths, water, gas etc. Though there is a push to get the average consumer into credit cards and loans it has so far been only moderately successful. However Hong Kong and Macao are different stories.

The dollar will not effect China as much as some think it will. Currently they have been dumping the dollar at a rate of $130 million a day. This has been happening for over a year and the EU has has also become the number 1 trade partner. The only way to effect China is for the dollar to tank in one day due to their holdings of US Bonds, not likely. With the decline of the dollar and their dumping it will take at least a 50% drop in value to have much of an effect. They have hedged their bet in Euro's, oil, coal and natural gas.

So for Americans what does this all mean...well in short, good bye USD hello Amero and the NAU. Your short term goal should be dump your dollars into a more stable currency keeping only enough dollars as needed to avoid being wiped out financially. When the Amero arrives figure on an exchange rate of around $10=1 Amero and a settling of close to 1 to 1 against the Euro. Will this occur tomorrow, no but within the next year to year and a half would be close to a sure thing.

Now before anyone asks, yes I live in China and have for several years.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
This is hilarious the dollar has went down compared to the Euro 2 1/2 percent. Ohh No and second there is a reason for it trust me we didn't become the worlds strongest nation for being a bunch of sheep that will flop over for dead. Have you people thought for a second that this is all part of a bigger plan and no it is not some UFO NWO shinanigans. Just think about why would we want the rest of the world to get a stronger currency and still depend on us to buy there products.
. I think we you all we have a clue of the American plan this weekend 3/21/08.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
One more thing all of you that are talking about exchanging dollars for euro's. I wouldn't trust me when I say this just keep in mind who is really holding the bag in this mortgage mess. Uhhh I know people are going to get all crazy on here so let me explain a few things for you a mortgage is a loan that is backed by a bond that bond is then sold to Europe. The French were big suckers in buying these bonds. Do you really think that the banks and the Feds didn't know that if your mortgage went up 50% you could still pay it when you couldn't pay a fixed mortgage to start.
Secondly like I just said it is about to hit the fan this weekend. I personally would invest in American companies right now which is simple buy low and sell high. Every country and every economy has a cycle do you really think that we would lower our dollar this much when I can tell you that we are at full employment which by deffinition is below 5%. We are at 4.6% employment and our GDP has increased the last 4 quarters.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Some reasons for the decline of the US dollar:

- Huge trade imbalance with China fueled mainly by ChinaMart in America (over 200 billion a year in China's favor).

- Still reeling from an estimated two Trillion$ worth of damage caused by the Code Red worm and 9/11

- Booming Chinese economy placing greater demand on Oil supplies for fuel usage and more. This has raised gas prices in the highest Oil consuming countries the most.

- The replication of US products (i.e. Dodge cars etc.) by Chinese companies selling the same models for cheaper to other nations

- High tariffs placed on US imports by China, making US products more expensive to the Chinese market than imports coming from the EU or elsewhere.

- A guerrilla war being funded and trained by Iran of militias over in Iraq depleting US resources

- Exporting of US manufacturing jobs to countries having sweatshop operations through forced labor and poor wages (can you say China?).

- ChinaMart causing private smaller mom and pop businesses to go under, including some larger private enteprise businesses (KB Toys, ACE Hardware etc.)

- Increased gas prices causing less travel and many American trucking corps. to close up shop.

All these things really add up, and it is amazing the US has such resilancy.

What country is benefiting from all these things the most? China is.

ChinaMart needs to broken up, thus reducing the trade balance. The worst thing the US could do was engage China as a business partner. It' Marxist-minded idiots like Bill Clinton who think by engaging China, the US would benefit. We are now seeing several years later, what was started several years ago ..voting China into the WTO, looking the other way when Chinese spys were raping the country of technology etc. Shame on you Bill Clinton and your highly corrupt administration and sensitive technology transfers to China through Laural and Hughs etc.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Soon the US goverment will start saying "Look, see how strong the Euro is, it's all because of the European Union. Now if we were to implement a new currency under a new Union, we could compete again."

...and thus the Amero and North American Union are born, welcomed with open arms by a desperate public.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SleuthI wish no ill will towards the people of other countries, but they are dancing on my grave over the devaluation of the currency that sustains me. I work hard and I live honestly and I try to be a decent human being.

This is why the time has come to take a much closer look at that which sustains us. While I pay my bills with the green stuff like the rest of us, I cannot say that I live by the dollar. It is a simple technicality and one that I ultimately demise at that. I used to be a proud taxpayer though until I reached a point where I needed a deeper understanding of this and other topics. Little did I know...

I find it interesting the way people refer to the Amero as if it is already in existence. This is yet another good indication that it is indeed going to be reality and perhaps sooner than was imagined.

I love how the word "terrorism" has suddenly been replaced with another now overused word "globalism" which implies some inherent connection between the two. In fact, for many of us they're Phase 1 and Phase 2. To others, it's whatever they're told. I suppose my point would really be in my failure to understand this "global" phenomenon. I find it interesting for far too many broad yet connected reasons that it is the unaccountable corporations and not you (whoever/wherever you are) who stand to benefit and if you think that any corporation has already been exercising too much "power" you haven't seen anything yet. Wait until they get a taste of their true real-time "global" influence and sure accept your accountability then when it is far too late. It used to be that these same corporations would benefit from tax breaks by working here in America... the thinking being that they would lower the unemployment rate. They now benefit from working in America to benefit by outsourcing or by employing those working here on work visas. Under this "globalism" would not the rich only stand to get richer and would not there still be people suffering from starvation? Under this full on assault on "think globally act locally" would we not be "thinking globally acting globally" ? Can the schools your children (by law) attend, their teachers, their futures afford it? How is your backyard? Not only do I (having been born and raised right here in California, US) not know my neighbors but if I wanted to or needed to speak with them I do believe they would have trouble understanding what it was that I was saying to them. In fact, I am beginning to recognize very little in my own backyard though I must admit some personal bias where "change" is concerned... and where what little culture I did know of here in this still relatively new country is beginning to diminish a little each year and will again only become in-your-face apparent during the next holiday season.

Unfortunately I have had to realize the sum of my own personal accountability and my chosen ignorance and the bottom line is that there is a solution so seemingly simple that we could absolutely do it... though it may very well be too late. I haven't spoken about a number of issues because they seemed to be considered "taboo" and I suppose that was yet another part of the collective problem. For starters, it will require that we work very hard... to do the research it takes to make our purchases wisely (small and private businesses) and not from that which resembles in any way what will be our demise -- corporate giants. It will require a re-education of the masses to be given the chance to become aware of certain unspoken truths. Taking steps such as these should pave the way for the people reclaiming control of their country and their government. Given the degree to which the masses believe in the so-called red vs. blue (republic vs. democracy/elephant vs. donkey) war I am all too aware of the level of work needed and the odds we are facing.

So, who wants globalism?

[edit on 19-3-2008 by spectre76]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I've had a quick scan of the previous posts and don't think this has been mentioned before, if it has then I apologize. If you want to keep an eye on the official currency rates relative to the Dollar, use this link for the EU Central Bank

I bank in Euros and the exchange I get is as stated at the above link. I don't think there's too much to worry about. I would say the markets will stabilize once the GBP is level with the Euro - once they are level the Euro will be heavily sold to the British people for the purpose of replacing the GBP with the Euro.

If things do get really bad then at least we might have another Lorrel and Hardy duo to look forward too to keep us all smiling on.

Edit:

I realize that what I've written could put me across the wrong way. In most posts I've made on any threads I've usually vouched for my argument and/or statement by backing it up with an example of personal experience. In the above, I stated that I bank in Euros which is the case because I worked in Europe for several years and ended-up with Euros.

As for hardship, I suffered debt in the U.K and the only means I had of paying it was to sacrifice my "life" in the U.K for a better and more financially rewarding life in Continental Europe (the EU favors/fosters people moving to work away from their home nation). I am one of those whom (for reasons beyond his control) lived marginally beyond his means (something I hated doing but somebody else's circumstances necessitated I do it). When I say I sacrificed my life in the U.K I mean I gave up everything and left with only 40 GBP (I posted my flat's keys back to the estate agent). So in short, I have every sympathy with all people who are in less than fortuitous (and fortunate) circumstances but I have no sympathy for/with those unwilling to realize their mistakes, to stop over spending, and to make sacrifices - sometimes we have to put emotion to one side, think positively and optimistically, stop feeling sorry for ourselves, reappraise our methods of living, learn our lessons, stand-up for ourselves then will ourselves to change to better ourselves.

[edit on 19/3/2008 by Rapacity]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rapacity
If things do get really bad then at least we might have another Lorrel and Hardy duo to look forward too to keep us all smiling on.

Nothing like the positive mindset of a salesmen in uncertain times...

I'll pass on the link, the trades and you can even keep the television show concept. In fact, I'll even pay you for nothing you haven't already offered for nothing... which is just to be on your way. I hear there's a strong and growing market for this kind of thing out there in the desert. All that empty land is just a "mirage" as they call it.

It takes all kinds I suppose and they don't call it "trading" for just any reason.

Edit: I was a little too harsh on you here and don't know you well enough to offer such reaction. You even stated that you hadn't really bothered to read the thread but more glanced over it. This was intended for the greater collective consciousness that comes with those specializing in money. You will either understand my reaction or you will not. Apologies for the words chosen.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by spectre76]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

uh huh...and it has carl rove, dick cheney, george bush and the republican party written all over it. Sorry, but if you voted for these bunch of crooks, it's your fault.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join