It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US dollar is DONE!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Yeah we would be so happy, having parties going on here. Jedi, that's really ignorant. If the US economy and Dollar go down, the European economy will go too. So no reason for happy smiling people.

The world economy will go down. America sneezes and the rest of the world gets he flu. Now think about the world if America dies...

Another dark age perhaps?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
For America to survive this crisis then remove the "ing" from domineering and put it back in its rightful place at the end of "pioneer" & "lead".

Go back to what made you famous, leading the world forward, pioneering scientific research and discoveries,leading from the front & making the very people the common man and woman of America, making their lives easier,happy, the very people who provide the unsung backbone to America.

America be the America I grew up to wish I lived there when I was a kid, to me a UK boy, America was the world, you had everything it seemed and anything new that came out always seemed to be via America.

Take a step back and breathe, the world will survive whilst you are on a coffee break.

Wolfie

For me that was one of the best comments about my country i've read in a long time.
Thank you and a star for you.
How i miss my beautiful country.
If i could just remember where i put the darn thing.
It's got to be around here somewhere.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420

Nope. The EU moved to the top spot, knocking the US down to 2nd.

Ich speche deutsch.

Germans feel as though the EU is an actual entity, while many in europe, do not share this similar view. Many view the EU as a monstrosity, England in particular.

The EU is made up of 27 nations, so you cant exactly compare 27 INDIVIDUAL nations, to a SINGLE nation. A much better comparison would be the NAFTA nations paired, compared to the EU 27... If that was the case, then NAFTA would be a trillion dollar economy larger then the current EU 27.

Still, if we are to accurately portray the EU as a single entity, compared with America, we should also view performance wise, which one is "better."

The EU economy is 22 years behind the US economy. The EU also experiences slow, protracted growth rates (slower than Americas), which is historically true.

The Human Development Index of the US is higher not only than the aggregate EU, but of ALL EU countries with populations greater than 10 million.

In the scientific field, the US remains far ahead of the EU27, with the US doing far more scientific research than the EU, in both dollars and the number of scientists.

All who are worried about a declining dollar should read this article. Europe is in trouble due to an inability to export. Airbus, etc. are in deep trouble due to an over-priced Euro. Europe is also, currently the largest source for outsourcing jobs.

And Finally, the US is viewed today as a hyperpower ( a step above superpowerdom). Europe is not a superpower, and will never be. The best the EU can strive for being is a model power. Not a Superpower.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by West Coast]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
[edit on 18-3-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by West Coast

Brilliant. I wish I could star you more than once.

The Euro will too experience a period of self adjustment. These things are bound to happen when an economy or money supply is over valued, and must naturally come back down to earth.....people insult me around here for suggesting this though. The would rather believe that we are headed into 1939 Great Depression America, or the end of America all together. To borrow a phrase from our British brothers...not bloody likely.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by PokeyJoe]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Its all just a natural part of economics. The US was an industrial powerhouse, in much the same way that England had been. Over time you produce so much that you have a surplus, which you sell to other countries. That creates wealth & a better standard of living. Eventually work is contracted out to the other nations because they're cheaper & the prosperous country lives a better life without toiling long hours in factories, etc - the cheap foreign labour does that for you.

As this continues you reach a point where you now buy more than you produce (ie a deficit), & so you're buying in more than you sell out. In order to do this you need to borrow money.

The US has gone on a massive borrowing & consumption binge, as we have in the UK also, led by our respective governments, & now its coming home to roost.

Eventually after the depression, we can't afford to buy in expensive foreign goods, & so we make our own, until we end up with a surplus which we sell, etc, ad infinitum (or until the resources run out).

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
PS - I imagine that the surplusses that we (& particularly the US) will be producing to sell to the rest of the World in 15 to 20 years time will be agricultural produce.

The Chinese & other countries have a massively expanding population & things like meat are already in very short supply. Food & water will be the most precious commodities in the not too distant future I feel.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

Originally posted by Mdv2

Yeah we would be so happy, having parties going on here. Jedi, that's really ignorant. If the US economy and Dollar go down, the European economy will go too. So no reason for happy smiling people.

The world economy will go down. America sneezes and the rest of the world gets he flu. Now think about the world if America dies...

Wow.....just wow. I hope that you are not serious about that. The economy works in cycles. Up and down, back and forth. The only reason it seems so hopeless here in 2008 is the incredible amount of media and news outlets that we have at our disposal these days. Things are not great at the moment, but once the economy bottoms out, it will retract, and we will be back on the upswing.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PokeyJoe

We are long overdue for a recession. A recession is not out of the question. But a depression is highly unlikely. Lets remember that recessions happen about every 6-9 years. Its all a cycle.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I don't want to sound anti american because I'm not, but that post was a tad jingoistic.

Why would the World be plunged into a "dark age" if the US "dies"?

You are just a large group of consumers. That consumption would be re-routed to China, India, & other expanding nations.

The US is not the powerhouse it once was.

Sorry.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by West Coast

We are long overdue for a recession. A recession is not out of the question. But a depression is highly unlikely. Lets remember that recessions happen about every 6-9 years. Its all a cycle.

I disagree. I think its going to be a full blown depression on the back of a global asset bubble that will take the major financial institutions down with it.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi

I don't want to sound anti american because I'm not, but that post was a tad jingoistic.

You are just a large group of consumers. That consumption would be re-routed to China, India, & other expanding nations.

Sorry.

Im not the one who suggested that in the first place. I was quoting a previous post.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe

Sorry.

Im not the one who suggested that in the first place. I was quoting a previous post.

I know I'm sorry, I mean't the original post, not yours.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tide88

Originally posted by eagledriver
It saddens me to it to say it, but I have read many blogs and articles and some non-published information, but it seems the evidence is too strong, this is no joke and we better get serious.

To break Americans backs to allow a NAU to form, this recession was manufactured. The foreclosure mess, high debt, lowering interest rate and high oil prices were all planned events to lower the US dollar value. The war was waged to raise the US debt and the oil companies conspired to raise fuel prices. Policies were adopted that aggravated the mass foreclosure situation. The important people in the government on both sides of the isle are part of the conspiracy. The more seasoned veterans saw this coming 6 months ago, but could not stop it. It was already too far gone.

When the major banks start to fall the dollar will collapse in short order. If you see the next bank failing, immediately run to the store and spend everything on food and supplies. You'll need it! You will also see the banks closing their doors and ATMs just before the annoucement to avoid a rush on the banks. Keep cash handy in this event.

When the riots start and the national guard is called out, marshall law will be instituted and the game is over for the people of this nation. The government will start to do what ever it likes including burning the constitution at that time. "For your own good" a NAU will be formed.

When did this start? Several years ago after 911. The new world order saw their chance and since they run all the big institutions anyway, they realized this was the perfect time. As a conservative, I'm sorry to say that President Bush is one of their cronies.

Keep an ear to the ground and realize that pain and suffering is no joke.

Wow. I would hate to live in the world you live. Looking at the business news today its is not looking so bad. Better than expected profits from goldman sachs and lehman. Dollar is up. Guess the NWO is going to have to wait

Do you think it would be published if the bank was nearly insolvent? These are manufactured numbered, just like Bush saying everything is fine. The last thing they need is a run on the banks.
You also think it will happen today or tomorrow. The stock market is fickle, buying at the drop of a hat. They are a bad gauge of things to come. They react to news and are no way proactive.
Wait until next week or maybe till the end of the month. They just dropped rates again today in a big way, weakening the dollar even more. We need to stop this madness.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by eagledriver]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I read that article and I saw nothing that would justify the title to this thread.

The dollar is down. The economy is in trouble, but there are industries that will benefit from a weak dollar.

I read that this kind of thing will happen about four times in one's lifetime.

It's happened in my lifetime before and we're still here.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Power_Semi

China, who many ill informed people task as the "next superpower to surpass the US," is in way over its head. First of all, its GDP figures based on PPP have been revised downward by 40% (China went from a $10T economy to $5T overnight). Secondly, china faces domestic problems that dwarf Americas. A vast, aging population, with no social security in sight, wholesale problems in the financial system that dwarf those revealed in the U.S. sub-prime loan mess and a massive breakdown of its health care system.
The ecological "dump" that has seen Chinas deserts extend at an alarming pace, eating up precious arable land, and of course water pollution that has deemed 75-85% of lakes and rivers in china as "to polluted" to drink and fish from...

So, the US is in position to dominate well into the 21st century...Many on here I suspect will see this unfavorably. But thats life...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

I am pretty sure the world would survive without America. Hell IMO we would be better off. The world doesn't evolve around America like you think. We can sustain ourselves without the help of "big brother".

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Sorry, but you cannot replace nearly $14 trillion dollars in consumerism overnight.

China, as well as India have a smaller middle class then previously thought, with both Chinese, and Indian GDP PPP being downgraded by 40%. That means that over 300 million Chinese live on less than a dollar a day, while some 700 million in India live on less than a dollar a day. Chinas economy in the adjusted PPP terms stands at about $5.33T, Indias is around $2.34T.

So with IN/CH combined your looking the most at $7-8trillion in PPP (at best). That is nearly half of what the US PPP is. You also have to factor in the loss of that $14T with the loss of the US consumer.

China, as well as India have to have money in order to purchase products. What happens if China, as well as india, lose their biggest costumer (the US)? That puts them out of business, which means the average chinese has been put out of work, and will have less money to spend on foreign products.

It has taken the US well over 100 years to be the consumer (the bread basket of the world) it is today, you cannot expect the same to happen to china, and India, in just a few months, or years, if this hysterical conspiracy has any truth in it...

Sorry.

It has moved beyond being a mere powerhouse, to being a hyperpower. There is no nation that is even close to matching, or catching up to the US in nearly every facet of the game...

[edit on 18-3-2008 by West Coast]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal
The day is quickly approaching where Humanity will finally be free and no longer slaves to their own misery and laziness. The day when all money is realized to have no backing and no value, when Human responsibility and self ecstacy becomes the currency and when equality isn't something that is strived to be attained, yet simply is seen as what everything always has been, that's the day that we can not escape. The question is: How will we handle this transgression?

Thank you, John Lennon.

Unfortunately, everyone doesn't feel that way, and unless we're all on the same page, nothing that ethereal will work in real life.

We had the grand experiment here in the States back in the 60's and early 70's... remember them thar hippies? Well, end result is that those who didn't sell out to the establishment (my own rhetoric) soon became caricatures of the Hippie movement and simple footnotes in the history of what could have been a very beautiful thing.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xander68
We may hit rough times in the US from time to time, but like in the past- we'll get through it with our hard work and determination.

Hear hear!!! And if things go bad, look up a local Medieval re-enactment group.... We still teach skills like bread making and cloth weaving...

And about electricity... while some of us could survive with out it... might I suggest laying in some solar panels on your roof while your dollar has kick?

And I wonder what would happen to those dollar haters if we all stayed home for a few years?

No more tourist dollars...

No more buying foreign oil (after all we have plenty in the US and Canada to last a long time)

It won't happen, but imagine the impact buying only American products made by American...

It worked before... and I bet if the need arose, it would again

[edit on 18-3-2008 by zorgon]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join