It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with a Bible reference please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I was watching a documentary the other day and a reference in the bible was mentioned, unfortunately I missed where in the Bible it appears and as I know that there are many members here who know the bible very well I was hoping that one of you could help me please.

This is vague I am afraid but, it is the use of the term "the Branch", I think in relation to Jesus, but I am not entirely sure. I think it is where the "Branch Davidian" derives its title (if that helps??).

If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it. Many thanks.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Zechariah 3:8
Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.

Zechariah 6:12-13
12And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD:

13Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.

He is Jesus Christ.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Brilliant - thank you so much.

I vaguely remember that the use of The Branch is specific to certain translations of the Bible, do you know if this is the case - I think the programme I watched said that it is in the King James version but not some of the others????

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
Brilliant - thank you so much.

You're welcome.

It appears most translate it pretty close "the branch".

What was spoken through Zechariah adds to what was spoken through Isaiah beforehand concerning Jesus.

Isaiah 11:1-4
1And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:

2And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;

3And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:

4But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth: with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Thanks again. The Isaiah reference is even more pertinent. I have been attempting to trace the etymology of the word Sion/Zion and this is a missing link I had overlooked or rather disregarded in my ignorance of the bible, it was only when I saw the documentary and the reference to 'the branch' that all the pieces came together.

Incidentally that is one scary looking sheep in your avatar...

Many thanks you are a star.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The branch in relation to Jesus in New Testament.

Perhaps this
Jesus is the True Vine

John 15: 1-6

I am the true vine, my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear fruit. ... I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from him you can do nothing. If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers; and the blades are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Thanks Jazzyguy - more for me to ponder, there are some very interesting metaphors in the link that you posted, I'm not very biblically minded but I can see the inference. And again they in a sense correlate with the historical usage and derivatives of the word 'sion'...fascinating.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
The branch in relation to Jesus in New Testament.

Not in that particular case. It was referring to him.

He teaches in types. He's the true vine from above. There is another vine of the earth, who grows the grapes of wrath.

new topics

top topics

join