It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZ more worried by dolphin death than Tibet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
The New Zealand Government which is about to sign a free trade agreement with China, which average New Zealanders oppose, has been reluctant to express any outrage at the shootings of Tibetans,

New Zealand refuses to meet the Dalai Lama on his trips to new Zealand, nor raise human rights, or the invasion of Tibet with China's Government.

Air New Zealand recently sacked a foreign based Chinese flight attendant who complained about earning just $6,240 per annum, whilst Kiwi staff earned five times as much. Clearly NZ's left wing Government itself does not value human rights.

However the world can sleep safe after the New Zealand Government expressed outrage over the deaths of dolphins in fishing nets the other day.

My advice to Tibetans is grow flippers and see if that works.... ack ack ack

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Crazy.

Do you have a link to a story on this?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
New Zealand's Government is apoplectic about Dolphins killed in our waters

www.stuff.co.nz...

www.infonews.co.nz...

New Zealand Government's stance on Tibet:

www.infonews.co.nz...

www.infonews.co.nz...

www.infonews.co.nz...

If the Tibetans had flippers they would enjoy boundless sympathy.

Remember the graffiti in Sarjevo during their three year siege ?
Save the whales.

This is the same type of hypocrisy. I invite the world community to shame our Government.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by sy.gunson]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

Might it be your government doesn't get involved in other peoples problems like we do here in the US? I'm curious....

I have a friend I went to college with from NZ. She was a hell of a water polo player..lol

But she never has anything bad to say about NZ. The things I hear from her and her friends and others who have been there say NZ is great. Basically the way she makes it sound is NZ is out to take care of NZ...noone else, and from what I gather other then the standard import/export business, you guys make do all on your own. Is that correct?

I'm just bringing this up because I wonder if maybe this is the reason NZ actually might care more about a dolphin then something not taking place within your borders???

[edit on 3/18/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
New Zealand participated in WW1 at Galipoli and later in France.

In WW2 we flew several fighter squadrons and bomber squadrons from Guadalcanal. We fought in North Africa and Italy. Numerous Kiwis also flew for the RAF or served in the Royal Navy in WW2.

We fought in the Korean War both on the ground and operated both Mustang and Vampite fighters against the North Koreans.

We fought in Vietnam with infantry and artillery units plus logistics squadrons.

We sent naval units in support of the Falklands War.

Our Country sent warships to the Gulf for the first Gulf war and some C-130 Hercules.

We currently have NZ SAS and engineering units in Afghanistan.

The issue is that this Government has wimped out on human rights and after all what is military intervention for ?

It is for the defence of freedoms.

Our Government no longer represents the wishes of the people of our country who generally support Tibetan freedom.

In my opinion our present Government act more like Quislings who would rather trade with modern day Nazis.

This needs to be exposed.

NZ has a long history of being pro human rights, but this must be in question now that dolphins take priority ?

[edit on 18-3-2008 by sy.gunson]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Shows you how much i learned over the years about NZ...

I can't speak for your government but the way you make it sound they are definitly changing their approach to dealing with issues....

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Sy.gunson the way to get the correct format in this forum is to click the submit button and fill in the differnt fields. I for one support the Free Trade Agreement with China it will give us an rare economic advantage over our Australian neighbours . Unless China lack of environmental policy's catch up with them NZ will have access to the future number one economic power .

Due to our small population access to markets is vital to NZ long term economic health. You can complain about China human rights record all you want but odds are the shirt on both of backs is made in China. So if you really want to take a stance against China you better start sewing your own clothes and making your electrical appliances e.t.c .

It was bad enough the government gave Air NZ flak for ferrying Diggers to Iraq. Unless local labour laws have been broken there is no issue here in my mind.

So the Greens who opposed NZ taking part in post 9-11 operations in Afghanistan now want to take an issue on human rights in China. That doesn't exactly add up. BTW the NZSAS hasn't been in Afghanistan since 2005 . The may be an increase in the number of NZDF personal that make up the provincial reconstruction team. See this thread for more on this matter.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Trouble is that the people of New Zealand are not allowed to know or express an opinion on the free trade agreement before it is signed and the signals which the Government is sending off about Tibet implies a double standard which may apply to Kiwis too.

If the Free Trade agreement is so wonderful and so advantageous then why are Kiwis not allowed to see what is on the table ?

If we could read...debate and participate in the agreement to protect our interests and rights then I'd say fine, but we're not allowed to.

We're treated like five year olds by a government we can't trust.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by sy.gunson]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Trouble is that the people of New Zealand are not allowed to know or express an opinion on the free trade agreement before it is signed and the signals which the Government is sending off about Tibet implies a double standard which may apply to Kiwis too.

I don't entirely follow you here . Your free to express your views on this matter its just that anything that enjoys bipartisan support

If the Free Trade agreement is so wonderful and so advantageous then why are Kiwis not allowed to see what is on the table ?

I can think of two reasons. The first is that China has built in some road blocks that we wont get around. The second reason is that Labour want to keep the issue low key because they want as little opposition from the Greens as possible.

Even of there is the odd roadblock I still think that the deal will be advantageous to our exporters . Given the amount of time time NZ has been importing goods with the Made in China label it is about time we had access to the Chinese market.

If Clark had really gotten a shoddy deal National would have looked to score political points off the issue rather then showing a rare hand of support.

If we could read...debate and participate in the agreement to protect our interests and rights then I'd say fine, but we're not allowed to.

What your saying reminds me of debate concerning outlawing smacking or even the anti nuclear issue that is so entrenched . You can debate issue if you choose to but you wont effect the outcome that would require direct democracy.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by xpert11]

new topics

top topics

join