It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too much youth hanging around at ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is not exactly a rant, more like a commentary, but nevertheless it bothers me a tad.

Lately (past three months) I`ve seen what I believe to be teenager ATS membership arise. There is no way that I can know for shure, but certain things like toy pictures as avatars and the use of definitive phrases that only show lack of research into any subject kind of tells me so.

Why does it bother me?. I`m not exactly old, but watching threads such as: christians are responsible for this... or aliens don`t exist, prove me otherwise...., or we should nuke this or that planet, kind of undermine a certain standard that ATS is known for.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
So you are saying the younger crowd aren't intelligent?

Ok then, it is duly noted.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Well , im 15 and ive been here many years longer than you my friend
And i dont know why the rising amount of teens joining the site is rant?
I see it as a good thing because people my age are starting to learn these things young
Id be a completly diffrent person if i hadnt found ATS 3 years ago

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Camilo1

I have noticed a lot of morons, who claim things like "aliens don't exist" & "we should nuke this planet", but I don't know how old they are or if they're age causes them to be morons.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Disgustipated

I see what you mean. There are many teens, who have the opportunity to learn a lot of important things from the members, who share the truth at this website.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Chad Andrew]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I can't see what relevence age has to do with it. Eveyone has a voice,and an opinion. And each one is important. Some may not be very well constructed,but you can't tell if it's from a young poster,or from an older poster. Cos we're all under the cover of our usernames.

I agree with Disgustipated,it's good that young peopl are taking an interest in the lies our leaders tell.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
As for me This is Why

Ecclesiastes 12

1 Remember your Creator
in the days of your youth,
before the days of trouble come
and the years approach when you will say,
"I find no pleasure in them"-

2 before the sun and the light
and the moon and the stars grow dark,
and the clouds return after the rain;

3 when the keepers of the house tremble,
and the strong men stoop,
when the grinders cease because they are few,
and those looking through the windows grow dim;

4 when the doors to the street are closed
and the sound of grinding fades;
when men rise up at the sound of birds,
but all their songs grow faint;

5 when men are afraid of heights
and of dangers in the streets;
when the almond tree blossoms
and the grasshopper drags himself along
and desire no longer is stirred.
Then man goes to his eternal home
and mourners go about the streets.

6 Remember him—before the silver cord is severed,
or the golden bowl is broken;
before the pitcher is shattered at the spring,
or the wheel broken at the well,

7 and the dust returns to the ground it came from,
and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

8 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. [a]
"Everything is meaningless!"

I don't Know the Other YOUTH what is their Reasons

[edit on 18-3-2008 by johnb1]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Most people will probably think of me as a "teen" because of my lightsaber attack cat. but i'm not.

I'm actually 35. :w:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
First off..I am going to say this. I applaud all the members here who are under 20 years of age.Instead of wasting a lot of time doing things most young people their age are doing..they are here reading and participating.
Second of all, as you said, you are unsure if some of the posts you are reading are from young people or not. In my experience, there are just as many middle age people who can come here and make ridiculous posts for attention or whatever as a teenager.And they certainly do.
A troll is a troll no matter what the age. The fact that we have young members and make sure the content of the site is suitable for them and that it is a true learning environment for us all without the nasty unpleasantness of being uncivil to one another SPEAKS VOLUMES about ATS.THAT IS the standard that ATS is known for. There is no minimum age for denying ignorance. Children are our future.Personally I would rather they learn about culture and society,and all IMPORTANT topics, here, rather than anywhere else.
Here they get to read all the topics posted, and the replies from others of all ages. It gives them a better perspective. It broadens their mind beyond XBox and MTV.
If you notice...there are many of us that befriend the younger members here.I treat them no different than anyone else.I have 2 members ages 13 and 15 respectively that are highly intelligent friends of mine, and I love them as if they were my own kids.
Iam proud to member of a site that allows them just as much freedom of speech as anyone else.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Age is just a number, nothing more.

There are plenty of members on this board who act immature and inappropriate who probably are teenagers. But there are just as many adults who act just as inappropriate.

I was only 19 when I first signed up and am only 22 today. I know of several staff members that are around my age, if not younger.

The problem rests in maturity, not age.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Camilo1

I have seen a lot of posts from people claiming to be teens that are wonderful. Very imaginative with a lot of thought put into them.

There are some silly posts too, but those usually fade quickly.

Variety is the spice of life, in my opinion, and I appreciate the perspective of the variety of people here, and age is part of that.

ATS is a wonderful mix of not only different ages, but different cultural backgrounds of people. How can that be a bad thing when that happens?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDeniedIn my experience, there are just as many middle age people who can come here and make ridiculous posts for attention or whatever as a teenager.

I know what you mean. Those 'Middle Agers' are tres annoying sometimes.

All they can talk about is "trolls, this" and "trolls, that".

Personally, I think we should all unite against the Balrogs!

A larger threat can cause one to leave those petty differences behind, imo.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Ha Ha Badge! Yes..The QUEEN HAS SPOKEN!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I can say "Yes" and TRUE
My Body deteriorates and Experiences is always coming ahead and challenging me (^^,) to a TEST that I can Finish and Endure and going again for the Next-Level.

I/We call this a "Goal" a Course of Life others called it A target or a Dream

I want to meet the Great Architect (^^,) How ?

[edit on 18-3-2008 by johnb1]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
You assume that the people you see are teenagers because you, like the rest of the country, have a negative stereotype of anyone under the age of 25. I'm 18, I look younger than that, but I constantly have trouble in stores or anywhere you have to interact with employees. Ignored, in most cases, and when I do help I'm often treated like a criminal if the circumstances an be misconstrued in the slightest. Case in point, I was trying to withdraw money from my bank account. I talked to the woman and had to show her my license and social security number (which my bank dows not routinely require).

But really, you should be happy that young people are on the board. They'll be taking care of you someday and maybe you'll get one from here and they'll think twice before pumping you full of medicine.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
This Will Cure Your Internal Conscience

Matthew 10

11"Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave. 12As you enter the home, give it your greeting. 13If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. 14If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. 15I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. 16I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.17"Be on your guard against men; they will hand you over to the local councils and flog you in their synagogues. 18On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. 21"Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 23When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.24"A student is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25It is enough for the student to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If the head of the house has been called Beelzebub,[c] how much more the members of his household! 26"So do not be afraid of them. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. 28Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29Are not two sparrows sold for a penny[d]? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. 30And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. 32"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. 33But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven. 34"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35For I have come to turn" 'a man against his father,a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother in law— 36a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'[e] 37"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 40"He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me. 41Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and anyone who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will receive a righteous man's reward. 42And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."

Please Don't Be annoyed in this Kind of pattern Because The path to Heaven
is very Narrow and Hard To Reach too many thorns and traps and challenges in life. (^^,)

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by avingardI was trying to withdraw money from my bank account. I talked to the woman and had to show her my license and social security number (which my bank dows not routinely require).

Edit to add an on-topic comment. Though I joke around about the newbies that seem to show up when school lets out, if a poster is enthusiastic and open and honest then I'm more than happy to dialog and exchange ideas on paranormal topics. Most of those who post here seem to be interested in the field.

Before the advent of the 'Net, most paranormal fans were incredibly well-read, both in paranormal topics and other fields, and that was because that was the only source of information.

Haha, I can honestly say I've read every paranormal book in the local library - twice - Yep, I can even quote the Dewey Decimal System range for those 000-099, right in front of the Computer Science books.
Though I wasn't exactly a 'true believer' for me many of the books were similar to an "I Was There Book"; a popular genre of action story. But these books, as fantastical and as fun to read, might possibly also be true.

Now, many newcomers have only a 'referential' knowledge of the literature - how can blame them - there's so much online you could spend a life time just reading that. (of course to many, there's nothing like a book you can snuggle up to and become immersed in the story).

====
On the issue of ID:

I'd suggest you complain to her manager.

For one thing, if no SS# is required, then she can't demand it. If your license had a picture ID, then that should suffice. Eighty year olds have been known to commit bank fraud, too. hah!

For another, you should contact them and discuss it so you are not subjected to this in the future. Get someone's name and a guarantee that you'll be treated like a regular customer. They know you can take your money and account elsewhere. Be nice but be firm and don't let them waffle.

If they do it again despite this, have them call the manager to the teller window. Again, be polite but don't let them railroad you! Sorry to hear that happened to you.

To me is sounds more like they took advantage of your lack of knowledge of what is required and tried to put something over on you. What if you didn't have your wallet with out and just had your driver's license and a credit card? (they can require two forms of ID).

Now if that's all it was, (i.e. you didn't have another form of ID, just your SS#) That's a different story and is fair under some circumstances and is actually protecting you. But they can't require both ID AND your SS#, in fact you no longer have to give that - notice that most (?) states are now issuing a MV ID that is not your SS# in an effort to cut down on ID crime.

Good luck!

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I find the conversations on ATS are usually interesting and polite. A few people are real jerks, but the mods usually call them on it. IMO, people of all ages have something to contribute. I think the really immature posters usually disappear pretty quickly--they get bored or frustrated when they don't provoke the response that they want. People tend to just ignore what doesn't deserve a comment. There's always the "ignore" button.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Nice very nice

1 Peter 3:15-16

15But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

16keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ive just recently turned 18, i was 17 when i made the 'What is really in our food?' reserach project, i did it by my self and it is now the most flagged research project in the history of the Research forum. But i guess that im just a silly teenager since my full back ground image is princess Leia, owell i guess i should leave since im a youth?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join