It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't Christians be green?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This video clip is one of the craziest things I have ever seen when it comes to a Christian way of thinking (Southern Baptist to be specific). The question being asked in this thread is, how come these Christians can't be pro-environment?
This video clip shows how they believe that being Pro-Environment (green) promotes population control through same sex marriage and abortion and that people are not truly informed as to what global warming is. They apparently believe that global warming is a sign of the rapture. These baptists believe that curbing global warming is meant to delay the coming Rapture. WOW!!!! That, to me, is completely over the top Religious Conspiracy!! I thought no one knew the exact time of the Rapture? So how can they claim it is being slowed down by the argument of man-made global warming?
How can someone believe that by helping the environment , it will make you homosexual and promote abortion? It seems that they are really stretching it on this one.

He also unwittingly acknowledges that global warming is REAL but they don't want to stop it because it only delays "the Second Coming". Perkins says you should prepare to be Raptured, not "throw away the keys to your SUV and jump on the Al Gore bandwagon."

Link to text and video

Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Who is Tony Perkins? He is simply another guy with an opinion, he certainly does not speak for Christianity as a whole.

That is one issue with religion in this country; anyone can claim to be a pastor, start their own church, and start spewing nonsense from their mouth until the cows come home with no official training, but that does not mean that they speak for the Christian majority. If he were the head of some major church organization, like one of the mainline protestant churches or the Catholic church, then I would give this article some credence. As it stands its nothing more then another Christian hate attempt. It’s the same story as with that loco who runs Westboro Baptist Church…

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
That's daft, i've seen Christian Anarchists before, so why not Christian Environmentalists?

Balls to that.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Because in America, "Christian" is more of a political position than a religious one these days.

BLame the people in your family who voted for Reagan.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Being an environmentalist would actually be more in line with Yeshua's teachings. The Earth is a part of "God's creation" so respecting it would be "godly."

Its ridiculous this pastor associates environmentalism with same sex marriage and abortion, but I guess these people lump everyone who views a certain way as "liberal" and "evil."

I would not consider myself a liberal politically, but I certainly have some radical views that others would call me liberal for.

It seems if you actually formulate your own opinion on every issue you're a liberal.

Sue me

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

www.dallasnews.com...

VATICAN CITY -- A Vatican keen to show its green side has added pollution to the realm of "new sins" that today's Catholics must confront and avoid.

In this age of expanding globalization, the Vatican is telling followers that sin is not just an individual act but can also be a transgression against the larger community.

An offense against God, said senior official Msgr. Gianfranco Girotti, "is not only stealing or coveting another man's wife, it is also destroying the environment."

Pollution was just one of several sins that Girotti decried as products of modern circumstances that must be addressed urgently.

That sounds pretty green to me.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

That is good for the Vatican, although I do not think they should be classified as sins. This particular video deals with baptists though. And they seem to think that abortion and homosexuality is encouraged through man-made global warming. That is the issue here. The Vatican is crazy as well. To change the "sins" just to terminology dealing with todays world is ridiculous IMO. But that's just me.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This is like asking: Why Can't This Thread Be Closed?

The answer to both the topic and this question are simple:

Christians can be green.

and

This thread can be closed.

Unless you have some grounds that demonstrates where the leader of Christianity (which is Christ) says not to be green, there isn't any point in continuing a discussion.

As biggie smalls pointed out above, good stewardship of the earth would be in alignment with the Bible.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Because in America, "Christian" is more of a political position than a religious one these days.

This statement should be plastered all around this website.
(And this is meant as no offence whatsoever to anyone.)

It's very true, and it would save A LOT of unnecessary words and arguments - not to mention the "face" of Christianity...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
The question being asked in this thread is, how come these Christians can't be pro-environment?

Jesus specifically preached that this world was not the one they should be concerned with, but rather then next one. The only thing you should be doing in this life is getting yourself ready for to meet your Maker. Throwing an empty Coke can out of your car window is not a sin, especially if you're driving to church at the time.

Most "Christians" live an essentially secular life, who pay the New Testament lip service, who pick and choose the easiest route and decide what they want to follow and what they don't, who are the warm water Christ will spew from his mouth. They might be interested in the environment to make it look nicer or whatever. But they're not real Christians, anyway.

Earth worship is pagan worship.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I am a christian. I was green long before it became the popular thing to be.

As far as southern baptist go they are not what I associate myself with. They are fanatics IMHO.

For 50 years I was very active in the Methodist church. During those 50 years In realized organized religion was not for me. I am not affiliated with any church now and have a strong dislike for most pastors. But my faith is strong and growing stronger.

I believe God gave us a beautiful earth to enjoy and it is our responsibility to care for it.

IMHO people of all beliefs carry the same responsibility to nurture our earth.

Every litter bit hurts. Anyone old enough to remember that saying?

Dizzie

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
There is a green movement among the Christian right at the moment. At least according to the media.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Unless you have some grounds that demonstrates where the leader of Christianity (which is Christ) says not to be green, there isn't any point in continuing a discussion.

That is typical. duck and run. Do you not pay attention to the article? It isn't about Christ, it is about Baptist Christians. People are not even addressing the issue.
Let's try this again. How can they claim the relation between environmentalism and abortion and homosexuality? Since Christ isn't here to tell everyone what to do (although I am sure you think he is), people rely on these pastors to help them learn the ways. So when guys like this come out with such outlandish statements, of course a discussion is warranted. If you don't want to offer a valid point and opinion, then don't bother posting.
Why wouldn't you support your religion and make its point instead of belittling others. I am sure Jesus wouldn't approve of your methods.

Besides, I thought the Pope was the leader of Christianity!
Or is it Pat Robertson, or Benny Hinn, or any number of other "preachers" in this world.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The title of your post implies inclusion of all Christians.
I wished that you had not used such a sweeping headline. It is not correct.
Don’t believe me? Go ask the Amish…about as green as they come. Oh
Yes…the Amish ARE Baptists..Anabaptist to be precise. For about 300 years
Here in America.

Of course you will get lots of responses here at ATS. If that was the goal of your headline.

Out of all religions will come some supposed or self appointed leader. Some will call them
Fanatics, or some other choice names. Does that mean they are the defacto speakers of their faith?
Hardly, It is only when they are given an exalted pulpit (media) that a perception of dogma can arise.
They are no more the spokesmen of Christendom than you are of ATS.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Zeptepi]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I believe in being good stewards of Gods creation, but i don't follow along with the idea that the planet is dying, we're killing the planet, oh noes!!! the bible says this world will never end, i'm not going to be motivated by fear. Scientists totally underestimate the awesomness of this planet, they really don't have much of a clue really how the earth works. for example i remember claims from leading scientists that we're going to run out of oil by xxxx. Oil companies are going back to empty abandoned wells and finding out they're full again, some theorize Isreal is sitting on billions of barrels of Oil but hasn't discovered it yet. anyways, my point is don't underestimate the resiliance of the earth its the most technologically advanced piece of machinery ever! and the Lord saw it and it was Good!

Keeper

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

You see, that is the exact problem I have with the whole religious argument. I really do not want to have to discern between who is good or bad and who is hiding behind the veil of Christianity and who is sincere. You all have a different argument and different defense of your particular faith. Why should I take heed to what you say over the guy in the video clip? Some may consider you a fanatic by your response. It is all individual perception. When any faith leader, whether it be the pope, a baptist spokesman, an Amish leader, claims to 'have the answer', I have a real hard time believing anything that comes out of their mouth.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Yes I think we agree. I too have a hard time trying to reconcile their words and actions with what I see in the world.

Fortunately , they seem to be arguing amongst themselves. As it always has been, nothing new under the sun it seems.

My point is that the media coverage of it has a tendency to torque a perceived rhetoric of a preposterous dogma onto a willing audience. Like the one that screams the loudest wins. It never ceases to amaze me what the gullible will believe. And the scary thing is that more and more buy into this whole charade.

At least in the middle ages, the people then had no choice. Burning at the stake for disbelief is no longer in force. Even if they were kept in ignorance. Could the same be true today? From this, it seem possible.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

That is typical. duck and run.

This is typical rhetorical indignant meme.

I'm neither ducking nor running. I am right here.

Do you not pay attention to the article?

It isn't about Christ, it is about Baptist Christians.

Please say this aloud one more time. It would make my day.

Let's try this again.

I attended a Baptist Church (a Baptist Christian) for quite some time and was/am certainly pro-green. Are you saying I'm a liar?

[edit on 19-3-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Wait, wait, wait! So let me get this straight. There's a Baptist group somewhere that is saying if Christians get involved in environmentalism they are going to slow down the second coming of Christ?

Sorry can't quit laughing here! Hey aren't we talking about Jesus coming back to earth for his followers? Well he's Jesus! Son of God! I don't think the environment is going to stop him if he want's to come back!

Environmentalism promotes abortions and gay sex?

OMG! Some ppl really crack me up! I just have to go out and ask the ppl I know who are gay or have had abortions if the environment had anything to do with it! This aught to be entertaining!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

The distinction one needs to make though is that there is a difference between conservation and good stewardship, and what many in the environmental movement subscribe to, which is a religion in itself.
Christians worship the creator not the creation, which is where the difference lies. While it's important to be a good steward, that's kind of a secondary issue with regards to what the mission of Christianity is, which is reaching others for Christ. The greater emphasis is on the eternal rather than the temporal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join