It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists more righteous than most Christians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
After much consideration in the last few years, hearing arguments from both sides of the fence of faith, I believe that Atheists are more righteous than many proclaimed Christians. Here's why:

Most atheists are more consistent in their belief system.
Most of them do not make outlandish claims based upon physical evidence.
Many of them have a better knowledge of the Bible than do proclaimed Christians.

Simply put, if Christianity exists as a dogmatic system of man-made religion, then the atheist has a better chance of escaping any type of judgment because they really have not committed themselves to follow it.

For whomever is given much, much will be asked and for those who have little, even less will be required of them.

I think that applies here.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I know there are many really good, moral atheists. Non-belief doesn't automatically mean non-ethical....hopefully we can see the good in all people.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I know there are many really good, moral atheists. Non-belief doesn't automatically mean non-ethical....hopefully we can see the good in all people.

I don't think morality has much to do with it. I think a lot is just the idea that one takes a higher than though approach by basing faith on physical notions of God, where the atheist doesn't do that at all. All things being equal of course so far as being a person.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Oh, sorry...you referred to the righteousness of groups of people so I commented on the morality of said groups for obvious reasons.

Guess I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Hope you have a friendly conversation here....I assume that's what you want anyway.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Righteousness as being less accountable. For everyone sins, but some get the mentality that they are better than others, and from what I see, many Christians do this more than any atheists I see, based on misguided evidence of their faith.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
It does not take away from te fact that God is God and he doesn't change... Ben what you forget is that the main point of Christs message is (humility)

The brains Athiest have are not mixed with sincerity many times. How many time I have made good points and they use cirular arguments, and you see some of them do this because they deep down do not want God to exist.

How can you say they are sincere when they, I have literally seen them come out and say Christians are deluded and blind and God is equal to the toothfairy?

Toothfairy didn't cure cancer I have seen and many other miracles...

You see those brains and the reason they know scripture, is because they were, most of them grew up in the faith, anf fell away by choice, yet they study the word, never do I see them giving respect to the good things in scripture, but they only use it to deny God further and only pick bad things out of it..

Yet those bad things are mostly taken out of context beyond degree....

So I do not agree with you at all, and remember what i said..

Humility is the main focul point of our religion...

The apostles were like children, always (asking) questions, never full of themselves, like babes... Thats why God says I reveal this to the childlike and not to the learned, because the learned are clouded by their own brain.......

As far as being good and having morals... You do not know what grace is.... Love is from God.. He chooses to give it to the Athiest because of their dilligence in life, yet they I garuntee you, are not burning in love inside like the saints have, and alot of time their love is a form of pride from things they learned when a child...

Nobody, nobody, is good without God.. Not I, not them, noone, and I know this is true from when I grew up as a youngster...

grace is love and it comes from a source which is God....

this is humility.... to know this.... Yet as for me, I feel worse than all athiest in here still....

peace.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
What is it about christians and athiests on this site? There's about 1zillion ongoing battles.

It's like an on going holy war. Can't we just live and let live?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
After much consideration in the last few years, hearing arguments from both sides of the fence of faith, I believe that Atheists are more righteous than many proclaimed Christians.

Sadly whatever is done outside of faith, whether it is a charitable deed or a crime, it's sin.

It's why he will have the right and authority to burn the many he's already mentioned who name his name and do many wonderful works, yet have never known him.

If those who name his name and probably do some decent works, yet have never known him, will be burnt. Where will that leave the atheist?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Many Atheist are good and righteous in the EYES of Man I agree with That but some others are ?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

It does not take away from te fact that God is God and he doesn't change... Ben what you forget is that the main point of Christs message is (humility)

I am showing this humility in my original statement. For the greatest sign of humility in a true believer is to absolve the non-believer of their disbelief, yet most are condemning them as if they know the way.

That's not humility at all JT, just saying.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by WiseSheep
It's why he will have the right and authority to burn the many he's already mentioned who name his name and do many wonderful works, yet have never known him.

If those who name his name and probably do some decent works, yet have never known him, will be burnt. Where will that leave the atheist?

What are these works you speak of? True faith only knows the work of love.

Love forgives the atheist.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   

What are these works you speak of?

Everything a man does, whether good(as man would define it) or bad.

True faith only knows the work of love.

True faith knows the works of belief. Then as a result of those works, come works of love.

Without those first works, all other works are works of iniquity.

If anyone who was righteous then begins to trust to their own righteousness and commits iniquity, all their righteousness is no longer remembered. As a result they were never known.

Love forgives the atheist.

At which point the atheist wouldn't be an atheist.

He was sent into the world that the world through him might be saved. The portion of the world that doesn't go through him gets burnt.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

...yet most are condemning them as if they know the way.

True love doesn't keep an atheist comfortable while he's heading for the burning either.

Would you feel comfortable on judgment day with a load of former atheists pointing at you saying, "you said he'd forgive me!". While being thrown one by one into the lake of fire?

Of course they'd be former atheists at that point, because they will then know for an absolute fact he exists and is righteous and does follow through with his judgments.

It's a serious thought to consider.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Well thanks for proving my point anyway WS.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Well thanks for proving my point anyway WS.

You're welcome.

One thing is certain, all are an example, if not a good example, a good example of a bad example.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

For the conductor, by David. The degraded one says in his heart, “There is no God!” They have acted corruptly and abominably [in their] action; there is no doer of good. From heaven Hashem gazed down upon mankind, to see if there exists a reflective person who seeks out God. Everyone has gone astray, together they have become depraved, there is no doer of good, there is not even one. (Psalms 14:1-3, Stone Edition: Tanach)

The reason I used this Tanach translation is to gain a clear insight into the Jewish mind set where these verses are concerned. Notice all of the words I have bolded. The scripture starts off by addressing the Atheist, then we see God gazing down upon all of mankind and suddenly, everyone, the Atheist, together with everyone else, under the scope of God’s gaze, is thrown into one group: no one does good, not even one!

Take these scriptures here in Psalms and then, compare these to what Paul stated in Romans 3, where he quotes this segment of scriptures, taking it down to his statement regarding everyone falling short of the glory of God and then, he addresses the atonement of Christ, which brings into Psalms 14:1-3 a dividing line, as it were, the truth of Psalms remaining untouched, but now a line, noted as faith in Christ, dividing the unbeliever from the believer, in the sight of God who had gazed down and noted all. It is here that Paul addresses boasting, in regard to that dividing line, having the believer to realize, it is God who drew the line and no one crosses over by his own doing, only through Christ and faith in Christ does one cross over.

As for the atheist and their hardened heart toward God, and their doing things perhaps which you do not see the believer doing, Romans 2:14-15 addresses this, showing, even within the Atheist, there is a law instilled within their mind by which their soul witnesses with them or against, excusing them or, accusing them. As for condemning an Atheist or, anyone for that matter, ONLY the Holy Spirit of God can convict and lead one to Christ for forgiveness of what they may be convicted of. To stand in the face of an unbeliever and proclaim, “May the fire of hell rest in your bosom, you ungrateful reprobate!,” a lot of good that does, if anything, it only hardens the heart even more toward God. The closest Christ came to something of this nature was seen in his confrontations with the religious men of His day.

top topics

join