It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child Shot Friend, Video Game Blamed...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

www.news8austin.com

According to the Marble Falls newspaper, The Highlander, the boy was playing a video game with a friend when that friend loaded a gun and shot him in the head.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Ok, so two kids were playing the game "Gods of War", and from what I can recall, that game is all about mythology, nothing to do with modern warfare and espicially guns.

I have no idea how the kid was able to gain access to the gun but this story makes the game sound like a scapegoat. I believe that the parents and gun control are responsible for such incidents, not the video game.

www.news8austin.com

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Yep I know that game. There are only blades and magic in that game, No Guns whatsoever. It sounds like just another scape goat again for not wanting to lock and store the gun(s) on a higher rack so the children can't get them. They should also store the ammunition somewhere else as well.

It also brings into question did the child who shot the other one have a motive? Since I think they both know that there are no guns in the game, perhaps there is more to the story than just meets the eye.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
Ok, so two kids were playing the game "Gods of War", and from what I can recall, that game is all about mythology, nothing to do with modern warfare and espicially guns.

No, but if it has to do with mythology, and small-G-gods-pluralized, then it's obviously a Corrupting Pagan Influence (tm). Just wait till the Bible-thumpers and the mundane/muggle media whores hear about this!

I have no idea how the kid was able to gain access to the gun but this story makes the game sound like a scapegoat. I believe that the parents and gun control are responsible for such incidents, not the video game.

Yes, I believe that the parents were responsible, and it most likely had nothing to do with the blasted video game. But like the school shootings, an incident like this hardly encourages rational thinking among the general public.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

After playing Super Mario Brothers me and my brother repeatedly jumped on each others heads, on turtles, and headbutted bricks in the mistaken belief we would get coins.
Video games are the source of evil, and it surely wasn't the lack of parental control or gun awareness/safety.

Give me a break, this is attempted murder. I hope the kid makes it, I don't mean to make light of the story.

apc

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The parents for not educating their children about guns and gun control for contributing to child's ignorance about guns.

www.highlandernews.com...

At approximately 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, two youth were visiting the 13-year-old boy at his grandmother's residence, located at 1209 Johnson St., when the 13-year-old decided to retrieve bullets for a gun, which was already out, while the other two boys sat on the couch playing a video game called God of War, according to one of the parents.

Once the boy returned, he loaded the bullets in the .22 caliber pistol, and without saying a word, shot the 15-year-old boy in the head, the parent said.

Fortunately a .22 headshot isn't likely to kill someone. Although the kid may be eating meals through a straw for the rest of his life.

Funny that the original source published the address of the residence. I have no idea what kind of neighborhood that is, but I wonder if that is an area of significance to locals. Interesting to volunteer that information when realistically it has no implication on the nature of the story.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
How many people started fight clubs after seeing the movie?

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Inspired by the 1999 film "Fight Club," starring Brad Pitt and Ed Norton, underground bare-knuckle brawling clubs have sprung up across the country as a way for desk jockeys and disgruntled youths to vent their frustrations and prove themselves.

A lot, and there is one example. While it may not be so in this case, video games, music, and other media greatly influence culture and individual actions. Video game induced violence is a very controversial topic in psychology, and there is a lot of data showing that it can push those with violent tendencies over the edge. This has nothing at all to do with the method of violence here (gun) but the physical action that results in violence.

www.apa.org...

"One study reveals that young men who are habitually aggressive may be especially vulnerable to the aggression-enhancing effects of repeated exposure to violent games," said psychologists Craig A. Anderson, Ph.D., and Karen E. Dill, Ph.D. "The other study reveals that even a brief exposure to violent video games can temporarily increase aggressive behavior in all types of participants."

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Come on, do you honestly think that is the only game they play?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Blah Blah Blah, all those progessional jargon is useless.

When we lose in a video game, we sometimes get frustrated, and sometimes very frustrated. I remember myself banging on the keyboard when I was killed by some monster ingame.

So apparently, the game isn't promoting violence, but whats promoting violence is the lack of self control. The 13 yearold probably shot the other becasue he was beat in the game.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
um 15 years old is well beyond the limit for rational thinking. unless the kid was severly mentally impaired he knew what he did.

the only thing he could say was video games.or his lawyer did.

If the boy was 7 yrs old I could see the link.

any head shrink could tell you by the age of 15 a person has 90% of the mental faculties devolped.

in only 3 yrs he will be an adult.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by NWOmaskedman]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Almost all teens play video games
therefore any murder that any teen commits could be blamed on video games.

Stupid parents cannot take responsibility so they blame something else

I grew up playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians which pretty much is the same as most first person shooters.

Lock up your guns you idiots. I own 9 firearms. None of my children have shot anybody. Both my boys and I are avid half-life/counterstrike players and no one has expressed an urge to kill any one in real life.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It would be quite a stretch for anyone to suggest blaming a mythology based game for a crime involving a gun.

For something like that they'd be better off blaming America's Army...

I really dont see why they felt the need to reference the game at all, and the line looks extremely out of place at the end of an article regarding a shooting.

[edit on 3/18/08 by redmage]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
You can no more blame video games for this incident than you can blame the oxygen they breathe.

ALL children at that age play video games.
And most children who play video games, will spend the majority of their free time playing them.

So the likelihood of a game being played during a violent outbreak is just about as likely as doing homework would be during that same violent outbreak.

God of war contains no firearms.
There are bows and arrows, swords, and mythical godly powers. But no guns.

I'll ask you this... if the only other thing in the room were a radio playing a local music station... would you blame the radio?
No of course not.
That would be insanity.

It's just as insane to blame the game, problem is, it's popular to try to blame the new form of media because the older generations don't understand it.
Hence, to them, it doesn't seem so insane.

People used to freak out just as much over the radio once upon a time.
Then it was TV.
Then it was color TV.
Then it was video games.

There will always be something the older generation blames for their own incompetence in raising their children.

In the end, the only person that can be blamed is their own teachings.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDead

After playing Super Mario Brothers me and my brother repeatedly jumped on each others heads, on turtles, and headbutted bricks in the mistaken belief we would get coins.
Video games are the source of evil, and it surely wasn't the lack of parental control or gun awareness/safety.

Give me a break, this is attempted murder. I hope the kid makes it, I don't mean to make light of the story.

Omg. I am dying of laughter. Damn you!

Yeah, the video games have little to nothing to do with this. The kid is derranged and weapons should not have been within reach. It's the parents' fault, not the video game's.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'm 100% positive Jack Thompson is going to jump on this case. The man has been trying to link almost every school shooting, homicide committed by young males, and violent behavior to Grand Theft Auto.

Even though he has failed every time in recent cases, and has even been found to have tampered with evidence and make up his own witnesses' testimonies, he continues to try to blame video games on teen violence.

If the two boys in this article were fighting over the last Twinkee, and one was shot because of it, is the Twinkee to blame for causing violence among the youth?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

im supprised more and more people blame video games
you get more blood and gore out of movies, example SAW and hill has eyes and so on where it shows people being killed in diffrent ways.
man getting head cut off or being burnt alive etc

games are just an easy target because the person puts them selves in that role.

being a gamer my self i find these people jokes and they really need to find better excuses.
thanks to these morons games are more screaned then before.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The article wasnt written very well in my opinion. To me it gives the impression that they are blaming the videogame for the actions of this kid. I do not believe that is what they meant to say though. I think they shouldnt have mentioned the name of the videogame at all because I believe it is irrelevant,and as was said earlier in this thread, there are no guns in that game. It doesnt specify who owned the gun, but I believe who ever does should be held responsible. The fact that they charged this 13 year old with assault with a deadly weapon implies to me that there was intent to do harm and that mabye the gun belongs to the kid.

It sounds to me that the author of this article did not intend to say that their minds were corrupted by this videogame. Im thinking that mabye there was an arguement over the game and mabye tempers flared and this kid pulled a gun and shot him.

Theres always the possibility that im wrong. It just seems my scenario is much more likely.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day

www.news8austin.com

According to the Marble Falls newspaper, The Highlander, the boy was playing a video game with a friend when that friend loaded a gun and shot him in the head.

first of all, a 15 year old is responsible and knowledgeable enough to know about murder, that killing people is certainly wrong. He deserved every bit of what he did. Just an excuse to unlease his inner demon from blaming it on the video game [or the media blaming anyway], and a friend shooting someone in the head, IS NOT A FRIEND.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Lets for a few seconds say . The game did bring about this occurrence.
Lets say that it would not have happened at all if not for the game.

Now .
Who bout that game for the kids? It requires you to be atleast 18 to purchase.
If it was borrowed . Who was(read wasn't) Watching them .
I mean who trusts a few teenagers to just sit at home with friends, access to guns and bullets?

No matter how you look at it the parents are to blame . If nothing for neglecting to educate them on the danger of the weapon . .

I say the parents.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
So video games are to blame for this?

How about a lack of after school programs?

Or better yet, a lack of importance in education?

How about a household that allows guns to be left out in the open for minors to play with?

Wait ....

How about the kid who decided to shot a bullet into another person's head?

Scapegoating is just more BS. It's a business on many levels. Scapegoating should have stocks involved.

Granted kids today are less educated then previous generations. But come on, when I was 15 or 14 or even 10, I understood death. I understood pain. I understood my actions. I was educated enough to know that a bullet in a gun aimed at a head was wrong.

The kid should just be put away.

On a side note....

Can I blame the US media for my constant headaches? Oh wait thats biological. I'm glad I just cleared that up.

Move on people, just more BS.

Its all about control. Kids kill kids all the time, just means humans are a violent species (obviously). Let's use that trait to scapegoat to gun and entertainment control.

Crap kids were killing kids before electricity was invented. How they explain that?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join