It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is alien civiliasation on mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Ok i read the other thread... now all join together (im playing devils advocate)

PROVE there is life on mars.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
No one has proof of that. Should we close the thread?

Or perhaps you really were asking for people to present their best evidence in order to discuss it. Is that really what you meant?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
All right... I wasn't going to post anything, but just for the sake of discussion, I wanna show you a pic about Mars which I like to stare at sometimes...

I already KNOW the "it's just jpg compression artifacts" speech, but, nonetheless it's here..

Peace

edit: fix link
edit2: third is the charmed one, right?

[edit on 17-3-2008 by Sator]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Oh, my, the Laney pics! I was involved in all of that as it was happening. I had a three hour conversation with Keith Laney about it. She showed me how to replicate his results using ENVI. It was a very interesting experience that turned out to be not much of anything. There was certainly lots of weird stuff going on, but I don't think there was anything there to be too interested in. It sure was fascinating work for a few weeks, though!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
All together now;

OH NO THERE ISN'T!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ian990003100

Prove there isn't life on mars. It depends on what you call life. Some organism can survive extreme weather, heat, cold etc... Or did you mean prove there's intelligent life on Mars?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Hi ian, do you have any proof you wish to share with all of us? Or is this a way to collect points? I only say that because you could have done a search here on ATS and found some links to proof that there used to be life on Mars. Sorry if that sounded harsh, but it is true.

BTW Sator I have that image of the city printed and hanging on my wall. Has it been proven a hoax or has it stood the test of time? If it is a hoax can you please provide a link to the reason it is a hoax? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Star

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stari
Hi ian, do you have any proof you wish to share with all of us? Or is this a way to collect points? I only say that because you could have done a search here on ATS and found some links to proof that there used to be life on Mars. Sorry if that sounded harsh, but it is true.

BTW Sator I have that image of the city printed and hanging on my wall. Has it been proven a hoax or has it stood the test of time? If it is a hoax can you please provide a link to the reason it is a hoax? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Star

It's not a hoax. It's just artifacts of the process used to create the image. I've done it myself using Laney's original image that he initially refused to share. It was fascinating, and he really meant well. He may even still believe that there are underground structures in that area. I remain unconvinced. It was not a hoax by Keith, but I still think these images just show strange artifacts due to the process used to create them. Nothing more. But I may be wrong. I can't say that definitively.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Neiby

I see, thank you for a prompt response. I am really curious on how this could be an artifact from the camera. I am also puzzled on why whenever a find like this occurs so many people say it is just an artifact of the camera lens.

Now I know very little about cameras and artifacts, although I am learning a lot more lately, so when I say I am puzzled I am very sincere with my words. I am not trying to be sarcastic. I just wanted to add that in case someone tries taking that comment as sarcasm.

Star

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Let me send you there. And leave you with just enough fuel, not to come back.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

BTW Sator I have that image of the city printed and hanging on my wall.Has it been proven a hoax or has it stood the test of time? If it is a hoax can you please provide a link to the reason it is a hoax? I would really appreciate it.

I don't know if it is a hoax, a mistake or real.

But I like to think it's real.

Peace

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Those images were taken with the THEMIS, you are looking at an overlap of several images taken in different 'bands'.

I'm having trouble understanding how this can be a compression artifact, when you're looking at a differential in heat, from a thermal imager.

In fact, if I recall correctly, the first pass from the THEMIS didn't detect such structure, because of the daytime temperatures being evenly spread. A night-time imaging revealed the structures because they retained heat as opposed to the background.

I also find the Hydrates (sp?) Chaos region interesting, as it shows such structuring both in thermal and in optical.

Further, since we're talking about 'life' on mars, Sir Arthur C. Clark discovered trees.

-WFA

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Stari

Where is this proof? There isn't any.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Neiby

I see, thank you for a prompt response. I am really curious on how this could be an artifact from the camera. I am also puzzled on why whenever a find like this occurs so many people say it is just an artifact of the camera lens.

Now I know very little about cameras and artifacts, although I am learning a lot more lately, so when I say I am puzzled I am very sincere with my words. I am not trying to be sarcastic. I just wanted to add that in case someone tries taking that comment as sarcasm.

Star

These are not artifacts related to the camera lens. Not sure where you got that from. These are artifacts caused by the processing of the images. Keith (and I) took separate bands from THEMIS, registered them using Paint Shop Pro, and then did the final processing with ENVI, a fantastic program used for processing geospatial imagery.

Then end result in this case is quite pretty, but I don't know that they're actually significant. I checked with a few different people who specialize in this sort of imagery and they seemed to indicate that this is not the proper way to process such images. They produce a really neat effect, but it is not showing anything that is actually there.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I think those "tree" images are fascinating. They have a nice fractal feel to them and they certainly look organic in origin, but it's really hard to say. We have no idea what they actually are.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Agreed fully, we don't know what they are, and sadly we won't until we (humans) get there and poke at them

IF they are trees, they are huge (or macroscopic, as is the wording on the mactonnies site I believe), but IMHO (and opinion is all that it is) I think they are trees. Trees this big could well be drawing upon the ground water and underground aquifers that we know are there (that's from NASA, water is on Mars, and has been for a VERY long time).

Further, there is a 'problem' with the current paradigm of 'no life on mars' when it comes to analysis of the atmosphere. It seems that methane exists in significant quantities. If there were not some sort of life on mars putting out that methane, it would have decayed long ago.

By the way Neiby, Laney has been a personal hero of mine for a long time. I love it when people get down and dirty and do science themselves, especially folks like Laney, who (most of the time) is pretty open with his sourcing and test methods. I envy your opportunity to work on these images firsthand. That must have been a very fun experience!

-WFA

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WitnessFromAfar
By the way Neiby, Laney has been a personal hero of mine for a long time. I love it when people get down and dirty and do science themselves, especially folks like Laney, who (most of the time) is pretty open with his sourcing and test methods. I envy your opportunity to work on these images firsthand. That must have been a very fun experience!

-WFA

It was a lot of fun! I felt kind of special at the time because Keith wasn't allowing anyone to have access to his original image that he downloaded from the THEMIS site, the one prior to the later "official" image that was much lower quality.

I talked with him on the phone for about three hours and we exchanged dozens of emails as he explained how to do the processing. It's a bit tricky, but not overly hard if you have a bit of patience and access to the right software. You have to have ENVI, and that isn't as easy to get as Photoshop, GIMP, or Paintshop Pro.

I wish I still had all those images that I worked on, but those were on an old computer that I don't own any longer. I think I ultimately deleted all of them. It definitely was fun work at the time, though.

I like Laney's work a lot, but he does go a bit overboard at times. Take a look at the "rat" pictures on his website, for example. It's just a rock seen from a couple of different angles, but I think he's seeing something that simply isn't there. Regardless, he does lots of good work that is very intriguing.

top topics

join