It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STS-75 Tether Incident - Mystery solved! Breaking News!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by olegkvasha

We're not seeing the actual debris, we're seeing the out of focus light that the debris reflects, which makes it look much bigger and gives the illusion that the debris or UFOs are passing behind the tether when they're actually passing infront of the tether.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by redshirt0202]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightsider2007
Yeah, im not going to repeat all the facts why the tether thing has nothing to do with UFOs, because some people are just too stubborn.

But tell me one thing.

If what we are seeing are discs of some kind, why are all of them aligned in the same way, why does it look like we are watching them from above? Every single one! If those were really disks, dont you think that we would see some of them tilted, a profile here and there, and so on...

What if they're not discs but spheres? You wouldn't know unless there was some distinguishing feature to show it.

And given the way 2d photography works, you can't tell how close or far away an item is, let alone the shape of a symmetrical object at distance.

Planets and moons, when examined, have distinguishing features, enabling us to determine a rough shape given the details we can see from the atmosphere or surface.

But does the Sun or Moon look like a sphere to the average person from the ground? Or are they just discs in the sky to us?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

But does the Sun or Moon look like a sphere to the average person from the ground? Or are they just discs in the sky to us?

We can't directly look into the sun without sunglasses so it's hard to tell

But the moon always looked like a sphere to me, simply because it has a shadow on it's edges like any sphere would have.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Nobody finds it just a little strange that with all of those "UFOs" flying around the tether just happen to all be flying exactly sideways to the camera? Not one of them is on a slight angle, is filmed from the side, or changes angles at all during the video.

That's what proves it's a camera effect to me.

EDIT: I see now that nightsider2007 already made that point, I agree.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Grey Basket]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by redshirt0202

We can't directly look into the sun without sunglasses so it's hard to tell

But the moon always looked like a sphere to me, simply because it has a shadow on it's edges like any sphere would have.

I see the moon with highly a defined outline, personally. Unless it's not a full moon, and in which case it makes the argument moot.

We don't see the moon as a ball in the sky. We see the outline of a circle, and a brightness within it. Just as stars are points of light, and not enormous bodies thousands of light years away.

Using any video footage, both the sun and moon look like circles in the sky. There is no way a human can tell they are indeed massive spheres, simply because our method of determining 3d space is diminished greatly due to the distances involved.

We need a shift in perception for both the left and right view points our eyes use to determine 3d space. You don't get that from the moon or sun, and it's completely gone from 2d footage.

So, we don't know at all if these things are infact 3d spheres or strangely aligned to the focus of the camera flat plates..

Thats my point, you can't ask how come they are all the same shape and not slanted etc, because it alludes to a preconception about something we have no clue about.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by redshirt0202

We're not seeing the actual debris, we're seeing the out of focus light that the debris reflects, which makes it look much bigger and gives the illusion that the debris or UFOs are passing behind the tether when they're actually passing infront of the tether.

Very true. These brightly lit, out of focus debris are transparent. They appear to pass behind the tether because you see the tether through the disk surrounding them. This is so obvious, I wonder why this has to be explained at all.
Try it at home:
1. put a small object in front of your eye (a pencil tip will do).
2. look right through.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by nablator

Exactly. It's just more people wishing it was true, and ignoring the very mundane, boring explanations readily offered by anyone and everyone familiar with optics and scenes of massively-different light levels.

It's just debris, people, out of focus and simply reflecting the light.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Who's to say it rotates quickly? Maybe it makes one whole rotation around it's own axis every 5 minutes or so, which would explain 'UFOs' coming out of nowhere and then disappearing again after a while.

A fair point, then I would expect it to slowly come into view, not pop into view over one frame. Also, why are no others doing this, the full footage goes for some fifteen minutes, what's so special about that one particle that appears out of nowhere? since it should all be the same stuff. I've heard this explanation before as it relates to objects at a distance, and it is true in the case of satellites and space debris, however what we are talking about is tiny particles close to the lens. Ice would be reflective on all sides, is it dust that is reflective only on one side?

All of these objects are moving in different directions at different speeds. Dust or urine from the shuttle should move along with the shuttle unless another force acts upon it, if it were thrusters from the shuttle affecting the particles they still wouldn't be going every which way at different speeds independent of each other, even if we do exclude those that change direction. Which of course many people do.
To all those saying it's so obvious it's dust, please explain this if it is so obvious.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by squiz]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Also, why are no others doing this, the full footage goes for some fifteen minutes, what's so special about that one particle that appears out of nowhere? since it should all be the same stuff.

Maybe others are doing it , you just don't see it because they are to transparent or not in the camera's field of view.

I don't think that it's all the same stuff. There's maybe about 3 or 4 dozen of those objects floating around, they may be parts of broken sattelites, solar panels, left overs from rockets and a whole lot of other stuff.

Depending on how big the debris is and how big the distance to the camera is, the objects appear to be bigger or smaller or even transparent.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Basket

Check the post i did on page two with the YT video in it

Some of those objects are not going in a straight line, nor are they all travelleling at the same angle....

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Balez]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Ok so lets say your right. If its light from the debris reflection. The light reflection will move when the debris does right? If so explain to me how a piece of debris slows down.... stops... then changes direction?

/rich

[edit on 18-3-2008 by olegkvasha]

[edit on 18-3-2008 by olegkvasha]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Ok lets say these things are all debris from something...
And that they are reflecting light from the sun.
Why is the reflection constant?

Even if it is a small object close to the camera the reflection should change as it moves right? As in if it was moving in the direction to the sun one side of the object would get darker as it moves....(?)

Now as this camera was higly sensitive for different spectrums of light that would have been seen....Right?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I don't think that it's all the same stuff. There's maybe about 3 or 4 dozen of those objects floating around, they may be parts of broken sattelites, solar panels, left overs from rockets and a whole lot of other stuff.

That's not what NASA is stating, if that where the case then god help the astronauts, it's a death trap up there. There's just to much of it in a localized area to be space junk. I believe there are more options to consider beyond that of either dust or aliens. It may even be a natural plasma phenomena induced by the highly charged tether, similar to that of ball lightning. NASA avoid using the word electricity in space choosing the term particle flux instead, but that's another story.
I'm not unreasonable and experience has proven me to be wrong before, so I have no agenda in trying to prove something that is unprovable.
I simple think that the dust excuse doesn't hold up. And we may actually be seeing a lens artifacts here, but that doesn't automatically identify the objects.
The thing is not only does this clip have to be explained reasonably but the dozens of others that show similar anomalies, and of course let's not forget the statements by the astronauts themselves.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Ok so lets say your right. If its light from the debris reflection.
The light reflection will move when the debris does right? If so
explain to me how a piece of debris slows down.... stops... then
changes direction?

Maybe the debris collides with other debris and therefor changes direction or atleast slows down.

Look closely, it's not constant, it's kind of 'pulsating'.

Even if it is a small object close to the camera the reflection
should change as it moves right? As in if it was moving in the
direction to the sun one side of the object would get darker as
it moves....(?)

If the sun is behind the camera then there'd be a wide range where the object is still going to be iluminated. Also notice that the field of view of the camera is relatively small, maybe they do infact get darker once they leave the camera's field of view.

That's not what NASA is stating, if that where the case then god help the astronauts, it's a death trap up there. There's just to much of it in a localized area to be space junk.

Once again, the reflection only looks so big because it is out of focus, in reality the actual debris is much smaller and therefor muhch farther apart.
And it really is a death trap up there. There's a reason why the sapce shuttle has extremly thick and strong walls.

Here's an estimate of the space debris floating around earth (and this is only the big stuff)

Space Debris Around Earth

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I've watched the video over and over and over again and I must be either blind or we're talking about different footage but I didn't see any 'UFO' pass INFRONT of the tether.
If they really were UFOs I think atleast a few would pass INFRONT of the tether, so I still think that it only looks like those things are going behind the tether while they're actually going infront of the tether.

redshirt,

interesting topic.

however....please re-read what you wrote above.

first you say that you "didn't see any ufo pass in front of the tether. "(so they must be passing behind then)

then you say "at least a few should have passed in front if they were ufos."
then you say "it only looks like they are passing behind the tether". (sooo then they're actually passing in front then?)

followed by "they are actually passing in front"... ( thought so.)

I'm confused, are they passing in front or behind? Or can we just not tell the difference?

[edit on 18-3-2008 by 11one11]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 11one11

Hm
I'll try to explain (don't worry)

What I meant is this :

1.) It looks (not they are) like they are going BEHIND the tether.
2.) If they were UFOs surely they would've passed INFRONT of the tether too.
3.) To conclude, it's probably an optical illusion that makes us think that these objects are going behind the tether when they're not.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This may or maynot lend a little support to mr redshirt.

Here's a fun video.

Taken from Brazil 10 yrs ago. Its of an unknown light of some sort flying above the tree line and thru the streets.

WHo knows what the light is, but take notice of the form it takes when it becomes out of focus. notice the wedge, or notch missing from the right side. and there seems to be a hole in the middle.

also take notice of the pulsing effect from :55-:57 in. (pause and replay it a few times) better yet pause it at 0:57. look at the blurring effect on all the lights. suddenly they all look the same shape with a notch/wedge missing from the right hand side...

now ive seen this same shape or effect in many ufo videos. the derby shire vid comes to mind...

im no expert here, just trying to make sense of it all. and frankly i dont knwo what to think. i have always been intrigued by the tether incident and hope that its not dust...

i

[edit on 18-3-2008 by 11one11]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Even if it is a small object close to the camera the reflection should change as it moves right? As in if it was moving in the direction to the sun one side of the object would get darker as it moves....(?)

Now as this camera was higly sensitive for different spectrums of light that would have been seen....Right?

Really good point!
And what about the speed of some of these objects?
Just wondering how a piece of debris could run so fast...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Just a question... wasn't the original purpose of the tether to generate electricity from the upper atmosphere? If that was the case, wouldn't some of the particles become ionized from that process? Seems to me a bunch of charged dust paticles flying around might actually attract or repel each other creating some of the eccentric flight paths we see in the video. Just a thought...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
@ 11one11

very interesting video
never seen that one before

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join