It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STS-75 Tether Incident - Mystery solved! Breaking News!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Hey!

This is probably the 3rd thread I'm starting today but what the heck!

I have always been amazed by the STS-75 (tether Incident) and the STS-80 (Formation over Africa) videos.

But I think that I can safely say that the UFOs in the STS-75 footage were nothing more than lens artifacts.

Proof is here :

Youtube Video

Description :

The 'ufo' first appears as a white dot around 44 seconds, once the camera zooms in the light turns into a shape very similar to those seen in the STS-75 footage.

NASA said that it was only dust that was out of focus and that it only looked like the 'disks' passed behind the tether. This makes sense to me now after watching the footage 3 billion times. Has anyone noticed that ALL the 'spacecraft' pass behind the tether!!!!

I think atleast one or two 'spacecraft' would've passed infront of the tether so it's probably really just an illusion that they pass behind it.

Here's a screencap for those people at work that can't watch youtube :

Picture 1

Picture 2

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Well thanks for ruining my day

JK

I'm waiting for debunkers.....

I was hoping tether incident was ufo related, this seems to offer quite strong evidence of it being not.

Bummer.

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I don't see the any comparison at all.

1. They are in space, this video you have is not.
2. Are you using the same video recorder they use in space? Chances are slim.

Nothing solved here.

Sorry.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Finally found the old thread where this was discussed as well.
ArMaP did an analysis and did some stuff to show that out of focus things could look like those alleged UFOs. There is also a bit more stuff packed in here but I can't remember it all. I'd still say the stuff ArMaP clearly explained that things could indeed look like "UFOs" when out of focus.

Here is the link:
www.abovetopsecret.com... (Near the bottom of the page is where he started doing that. But he may have also started on the second page, but either way I remember seeing the video on the third page and that is what I was after
)

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Formation over Africa is pretty bazar, can anyone here explain that?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I have watched that footage a lot as I'm sure everyone else has who's interested in UFOs and I would agree that some of the objects as you say going in back of the tether are lens artifacts. But if you look at some of the other objects down in the bottom left, there are one or two that change speed and direction, at least it appears that way to me. Watch the clip several times and pick a few of the objects moving down in the left hand corner, and each time you watch it, just watch one of the objects at a time, those are the ones I find interesting not the big shapes like you posted with the seeming "hole" in the middle and shaped just like the lens artifact you posted going behind the tether. See what you think, food for thought though, and good post!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
But in the tether video there were dozens, here there is only one

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

1. They are in space, this video you have is not.

That proves even more that it's just DUST that is out of focus or light on the lense! If we can observe the same thing we saw in space on earth by holding a camera at a light I'm pretty sure NASA was right and these things are just 'things' (dust or whatever) that are out of focus.

Read the description of the video about the camera's zoom function which is similar to those of NASA's cam.

I think you'll find this image from the NASA website very interesting, this is a guy mounting a camera that is supposed to be filming in the near UV (ultra violet) infront of an airplane's window. This was very similar to NASA's near UV camera.

Guy mounting near UV camera

Description :

Dr. Rick Rairden of Lockheed Martin installs a low-resolution slit-less meteor spectrograph in front of the aircraft window during the August 13, 2007, Perseid test flight. The camera is optimized for near-UV spectroscopy, and tests at what wavelength the aircraft window becomes opaque.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by redshirt0202]

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Interesting.....

The huge problem with that theory is that when the NASA control room asks the astronaut what he can see he clearly says that debris has been following them.

NASA: "Franklin, We see a long line, couple star like things and alot of things swimming in the foreground, can you describe what you are seeing?"

Astronaut: "Well the long line is the tether um and there is a little bit of debris that ah kind of flies with us - and it's illuminated by the sun...."

Also some debris does actually pass in front of the tether and some of that 'debris' also changes direction as well as flashes/strobes.

Sorry, but you'll have to do better than that......

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Astronaut: "Well the long line is the tether um and there is a little bit of debris that ah kind of flies with us - and it's illuminated by the sun...."

Well there you have it! It's debris which is iluminated by the sun, causing it to reflect the light (it now looks like a lightsource) and if that debris is now out of focus, the light it reflects will look like the one in the video I posted.

Mystery solved!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Sorry for the short post, but I just have a simple question.

Is there dust in space?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Is there dust in space?

In front of the lens yes..but it could've also been ice particles on the outside of the shuttle. I meant to write debries not dust (it's very later over here
)

anyways!

@cams

I've included a link to a picture to explain what I mean, take a look and tell me what you think.

Out and In Focus Debris/Lightsource

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by redshirt0202

The only thing that this shows me is, the ufos recorded during sts 75 incident were out of focus. They couldn't have been airy disk lense artifacts because the pass BEHIND the tether. Articles of the lense, lense flares, or airy disks, whatever you want to call them, would not pass BEHIND the tether.

So the space vehicles were probably out of focus on purpose, so we couldnt see them clearley.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by redshirt0202

But I think that I can safely say that the UFOs in the STS-75 footage were nothing more than lens artifacts.

You and nasa can safely say this , but not me

This explanation it's simply incredible!

[edit on 17-3-2008 by Jabbah]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
In this thread I see a lot of 'Could be's', Maybes, I think, Probably, Might haves, and much of the usual 'definite (NOT) proof used to proudly proclaim that something has been absolutely explained or debunked.

Mystery solved? ... nope

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Lizard King
They couldn't have been airy disk lense artifacts because the pass BEHIND the tether. Articles of the lense, lense flares, or airy disks, whatever you want to call them, would not pass BEHIND the tether.

I agree. Someone explain this? If those were lens artefacts, how the heck can they show up behind the tether? This alone, if true, proves the theory wrong.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
re: 'behind the tether' being a big deal . . .

to me, it looked like ALL of them were passing behind the tether. now i've only watched this vid about 4 or 5 times, so maybe i've just missed the front passes. but i was actively looking for them.

the way i see it, if these really were ufo's checking out this tether, you'd think a good handful would just by the odds appear in front of the tether.

but by my eye, they all seem to pass behind it.

if you could point to this video and say this can't be just optics at work because some of them pass in front and some pass behind, then you'd have a pretty strong case for these objects being near the tether.

the 'objects over africa' shot is much more interesting to me. no clue what can explain that.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Breadfan

Originally posted by The Lizard King
They couldn't have been airy disk lense artifacts because the pass BEHIND the tether. Articles of the lense, lense flares, or airy disks, whatever you want to call them, would not pass BEHIND the tether.

I agree. Someone explain this? If those were lens artefacts, how the heck can they show up behind the tether? This alone, if true, proves the theory wrong.
If it's small particles of dust on the lens,the only way i could see it appearing to be behind the teather,is that if the light being reflected from the tether,is more powerful than from the dust,giving the appearence of going behind it. Where the sun is,isn't clear in this footage,I think that could also hold a bearing on it. But these things shouldn't change direction and speed on their own. if it was thrusters or something,then you'd expect al the material to act the same way,as it's so small,and so close together.

Now,I'm not an expert,and i so WANT this footage to be real (why aren't all other missions the same if you get dust on the lens alot) but if there's logical explanations to what it could be,you have to take them into account.

But the tether is not the only footage,there's the one where these ufo/dust particles seem to move into formation,they flash,they look like they are attracted to thunder storms on earth. So this is far from debunked.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
and i'm not trying to debunk the tether vid. the 'discs' are pretty clearly moving, so they're not on the lens. and they all appear to be on the same focal plane. as you see in the vid at the top of this thread, even a bit over over-focus or under-focus makes the 'disc phenomena' go away. just a matter of where that focal plane is, close to the camera or close to the tether. seems most logical that it's one of the two.

whatever they are and where ever they are, the camera just can't resolve them. and it certainly can't resolve whether they pass in front of or behind the tether.

could be dust and ice near the shuttle, could be small ufo's around the tether. but i don't think it's two-mile diameter ufo's or critters that unfailingly pass behind the tether.

that's all i'm really saying.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Ok here we go again.

I don't believe the airy disc explanation holds up, for these reasons.

As mentioned two objects at least change direction independent of the others, how can dust/ice do that in space? One also appears out of nowhere.

The objects have a distinct vortex pulsing through them.

The parallax distortion when the camera zooms in out is consistent with the objects being at a distance.

Real airy discs appear in other nasa footage and look exactly as you'd expect, unlike the tether objects. However lens artifacts may very well be occurring, but they may not be from dust. As the example in the OP it's happening while being focused on a star/planet. If there was an alien space craft in the sky and you zoomed in on it you'd probably still get the same effect.

Explain these and you may have something.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by squiz]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join