It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The Mist. What can i say, one of my favorite movies, with one of the best endings i have seen in a long time, regardless of the endless Ridicule it got for it's ending. I think too many Hollywood movies End the same, glad it was different for this movie. Especially since i loved the Beginning and middle of this film, then they had to top it off with a killer ending.

If you have not seen the movie, i Strongly Suggest you watch it before Continuing to read my post.

The basic idea of it, was that these scientists in this military base up in the hills from where the film took place, thought that there were many creatures from other dimensions all around us(Which i think is plausible), so they were trying to create a window, where they could see these other dimensional beings. But the thing they created didn't act as a window, It acted as a Doorway. So these Creatures from other Dimensions came flooding in.

1 - Did you like the movie, and it's ending?, What would you rate it out of 10?

2 - Do you think other dimensional beings are around us?

3 - Do you think something like what happened in the film is Plausible?

4 - If something like this were to happen, and you were in control of the country that it happened too, What would you do?

[edit on 17-3-2008 by darcon]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Stephen Kings The Mist

Description

After a violent storm attacks a town in Maine, an approaching cloud of mist appears the next morning. As the mist quickly envelops the area, a group of people get trapped in a local grocery store -among them, artist David Drayton and his five-year-old son. The people soon discover that within the mist lives numerous species of horrific, unworldly creatures that entered through an inter-dimensional rift, which may or may not have been caused by a nearby military base. As the world around them manifests into a literal hell-on-earth, the horrified citizens try desperately to survive this apocalyptic disaster

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Not to be confused with The Fog, with Tom Welling. That was a carpender film.
The Mist is a Stephan King movie.
I have not seen the mist, but there could be some things that can cross dimensional lines.
Lucky for me, the ones I have seen are very small, and ran away from me.
I would not want to run into something big, that was looking for me.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Yes, this is Stephen kings the mist, totally different ending then the book if you read it. I personally thing it was better in the movie. Yea that would kind of suck to run into something big. But in this movie, the small are also dangerous.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
1. The movie was great. My problem with the ending was it felt forced. I didn't think the events led to the ending as quick as it happened. If I was in that situation I would have stopped near another car before the gas ran out. However, I do give the film credit for creating an ending that wasn't the same old fluffy stuff.

2. Absolutely.

3. Possible but improbable. The amount of energy to create a doorway that big is simply astronomical. To have a doorway that size just float down from the mountains is illogical but was necessary to the film to create that uncertainty about the mist.

4. It all depends. The movie has the doorway being temporary. So in that case going through and burning the area afterwards seems appropriate.

But what if it was a permanent doorway moving SSW at 11 mph? I would have my secret underground super computer create an electromagnetic shield around the moving doorway until we could figure out the correct configuration to shut it down.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Thanks for your opinion. I too thought the ending was bit rushed also, but i still loved it. But i am so not for the same Hollywood junk endings, so that may be the reason why i liked the ending as mush as i did. I also like what you would do in that situation. Very smart.

Edit, I too would have siphoned some gas, i mean come on!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I have to admit i loved this movie scared the hell out of me and i dont remember the last time a movie did that

I would like to think that if a scientist did decide to try and have a peep into another dimension that someone would get in their way and stop them and with the new super collider coming online soon there will be all kinds of weird experiments running through their bodies if you are reading this and part of this experiment PLEASE DON'T BE STUPID, this is our only planet and we need it.

Say no to inter dimensional voyeurism.

[edit on 17/3/2008 by azzllin]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I agree, experimenting in that sort of thing is very dangerous, even if you think you know what you are doing,

*ah ah no, Mr. Scientist, Drop whatever you are doing, and stop whatever you are thinking, cause it is a bad idea.*

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Even if they ended by slowly pulling the camera back away from the vehicle into the mist, with the vehicle disappearing from view as the last shot rang out, and roll credits; it would still have felt forced. It's difficult to create a film like that with a running time within the target population's attention span and pull off that kind of ending. However, much credit is due because it is a great ending and the actors pulled it off beautifully. And the ambiance of that final act along with the choice of music was masterful. As far as main stream films go this one would have to score up there pretty high.

Instead of needing an extreme amount of power for such an event to happen what if they figured out a way to take away the border between dimensions? A dimensional-border sucking machine. If such a bubble of space/time were without it's border could it move with the wind or along the earth's magnetic lines of force? Would the lack of border create a border vacuum that would eventually get filled in by free-floating border material thus making this floating bubble of dimensionally-borderless space/time, temporary?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I too thought the acting was one of the best i have seen in a long time. Thomas Jane at the end scene was amazing, and Marcia Gay Harden role as the crazy religious women was Spectacular. I too think it is hard to pull of an ending, without it feeling a bit off. But i do not think people were thinking that when the end credits were rolling. I think they were emotionally effected by the ending, i know it might sound strange, but i sure was. Like you said, when that music came on, it was masterful.

That would take some intelligence to create such a machine, although it would have to take intelligence to create a doorway into other dimensions, but now that i think of it, it might not be considered Intelligence, you might want to call it Stupidity.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It was okay. It really dragged at parts and the acting was sub-par, but it's definitely one of the better Stephen King adaptations. The last scene kind of felt like a punch in the face. It was original, I guess. Kind of a letdown.

Why are creatures from other dimensions always so hostile? Why couldn't we make a doorway to the cartoon bunny universe?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sictransitgloria

I respect your opinion, but i actually thought it was an awesome movie, but like you did not know that from the first post

new topics

top topics

join