It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Controlling Lives Through School

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Maybe it was different when you went to school, but you seem to think I say 'force' as in the colleges want it so people want to take it. This is not the case, colleges want it for MASS produced jobs like accountants, engineers, factory drones, ect. Nothing wrong with these jobs they are just boring.

Now though, highschool requires specialization in math 3 times to graduate. You do not need such specialization in math to become a counsellor, reporter, artist, photographer, polititian,historian, ect. Youre arguement that it is well rounded is a fool's way out. Taking mandatory courses of history might also be well rounded in grade 11, may as well force the accountants to do this. They do not though. Only in lower grades. If you payed attention I said that I would not mind making requirements for lower grades, but forcing students to take math in later grades is stupid.

Students have their own mind, to take math if they want. If they want to be an accountant, or whatever, then they can take math. If they want to be a historian, they can specialize in history. It is pointless to force math upon students at this high level, especially since the type they teach you in the later grades is not the basic skills, it is strange formulas you never have use for in your life, ESPECIALLY if you are never going to look at math again. All this does is make life more difficult for those choosing paths that are not related in math.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
It is very true that the system controls what our children learn. it is communism in a grey flannel suit. the cirriculum is based upon the forseeable job future, just like entering a new program into a machine shop computor they switch the text to stamp out a new improved corporate work droid. beside you can nolonger be what you want to be when you grow up. you can be only what you can afford to be. In a certificate society the true genius sees through this and the corporate work droid holds the degree....The Boat is sinking will you bale water or bail out?

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenographer
One of the very first things I learned in college Sociology was that public middle and high schools are designed with education a distant second in priority to indoctrination. Students are 'taught' from day one to obey authority, and how to recognize and merge themselves into the various pecking orders that form amongst their own number; negative consequences, whether official (detention or suspension, or just a firm reprimand from a teacher) or unofficial (a nice beating-up) await anyone who would disrupt this learning.

If I have kids, the poor brats are going to private school... damn it, now I have to get a job.

Very concise agreement in principle.
But:
Better private indoctrination than government controlled indoctrination?
Errh, as suggestion:

Although my children need to "learn the hoops" I spend time undoing the brainwashing.
I let them go get brainwashed, and then help them discover the fallacies afterward.
I show them how they are manipulated into performing according to fraud.
This way they develop 'critical thinking' skills early enough to avoid the upcoming conscription schemes.

Best of luck on that job, Xenographer.
but don't get caught.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuestForSafety
Maybe it was different when you went to school, but you seem to think I say 'force' as in the colleges want it so people want to take it. This is not the case, colleges want it for MASS produced jobs like accountants, engineers, factory drones, ect. Nothing wrong with these jobs they are just boring.

Now though, highschool requires specialization in math 3 times to graduate. You do not need such specialization in math to become a counsellor, reporter, artist, photographer, polititian,historian, ect. Youre arguement that it is well rounded is a fool's way out. Taking mandatory courses of history might also be well rounded in grade 11, may as well force the accountants to do this. They do not though. Only in lower grades. If you payed attention I said that I would not mind making requirements for lower grades, but forcing students to take math in later grades is stupid.

Students have their own mind, to take math if they want. If they want to be an accountant, or whatever, then they can take math. If they want to be a historian, they can specialize in history. It is pointless to force math upon students at this high level, especially since the type they teach you in the later grades is not the basic skills, it is strange formulas you never have use for in your life, ESPECIALLY if you are never going to look at math again. All this does is make life more difficult for those choosing paths that are not related in math.

What is the deal with your subject having to be posted every time, its not like its important, especially with such a strange argument that you like to make.

How old are you by the way?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join