It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

December 21 2012 the biggest con ever?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
December 21, 2012 could be a con.

I live life and if Jesus’ father blessed me with this gift, then I will thank him. I can't say for a fact if Jesus actually lived, but for this thread I will assume he did and that he was who he said he was.
I know that Christianity requires faith, and I can't change that. But I remember Y2K.

Y2K wasn't terrible but we knew it was coming. I don't think 2012 is special for us, no apocalypse. I expect the same outcome because I have learned from the past.
Look what happened to the economy though

This is a quote from James Akin, a catholic. I’ll let him have a turn to talk.
“The first thing you must do when investigating God’s prophetic plan is to select the right resources. If you want to know the upcoming phases of the moon, you could go to an almanac. But if you want to know how the final drama of human history is going to play out, you’ve got only one source: divine revelation. “- www.catholic.com...

I agree, and James sounds like he knows his religion. But he should put some sources down. The bible tells us not to follow false prophets, and Jesus said this according to Mark……………..
Mark 13:32 (KJV) — But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. – Jesus Christ

I’ll assume Jesus was real, did say this, and was talking about the apocalypse. I’m not Christian but Jesus was wise and I’ll trust him. Honestly, I have no clue who James Akin is. I’m not familiar with his ideas because I wanted an unbiased opinion. He didn’t give me one; he said this…

“So don’t obsess about any Native American calendars. Don’t worry about whether the moon is in the seventh house or whether Jupiter is aligning with Mars. Ignore the deliberately vague astrological verses of Nostradamus. Reject what trance channelers and UFO "contactees" have said. Dispense with it all. Stick to God’s word. “

………………………………………………………………………………………. Yes, I could do that. But I’d be a follower then, and don’t like playing follow the leader.
I’ll look to the past, because I lived it. I’ll look back because I can’t look forward. This is what I think will happen on the 21st of December, 2012.
1.) I’ll stay up all night, waiting for the end again. If I survive, I’ll thank God for letting me live. Some will grab the bible, go to church, and worship the good lord. Churches will be packed full everywhere.
2.) I can picture the pope or somebody blessing us all via a live television broadcast…. Everyone near a T.V. watches as he thanks the lord for saving us, people of all races and religions cheer and jump for joy. The pope says something like……… “People, we have survived the apocalypse” and the crowd goes wild.
3.) News reporters scramble for a story. Bibles sell out, along with everything Christ related in stores. Millions of people may convert, Christian’s will be deemed enlightened, possibly holy. Some will claim to have evolved spiritually.

4.)Even though it is the most accurate calendar we have, the whole world will start seeing Mayan culture as old news, an outdated group of primitive men. This is what media will do.
Look back through time, this isn't new. It has happened before and it will happen again.

This day could start a global crusade. I’m not saying it will for a fact. But it’s possible. History tells us it is.

Who do I think came up with this plan? I don’t know... But I don’t think it matters.
Many people have predicted the end of time. The Mayans put forth their prediction, just as our scientists have.
I won’t spend my money preparing for the end though. But some will.
Just remember what you saw before Y2k, and think about it hard. Who benefited from the event?
Why did the economy boom around that time? People were scared so they spent their money in preparation. The economy boomed because of Y2K, we need a boom, maybe we'll get it.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Y2K was ment to be bad, but Y2K was not predicted by Mayans. Also some ancient eygpt fans belive that on December 21 at 22:18:13 , 2012. Osiris, the Bull of Egypt, will return from the dead. Which is ment to be bad, so we have nemisis, osiris, mayans, theres alot of theorys out there, to many to list. Alot more than Y2K.

Fox

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If I hadn't learned about the whole 2012 thing before it hit the mainstream I might be inclined to believe it was a con myself.

However, when I was in college a million years ago around 1991 I actually took a class at my University on the Mayan Civilization.

My professor was a renown Mayan Scholar who translated the Hieroglyphics. His name was Dennis Tedlock. His books can be found on Amazon etc.

During this time and during his class I first learned of the 2012 prophecy. From what I remember of the prophecy a literal translation of it was some thing like "The things that man had created would come to life and rise up against him"

My Professor did concede however that there were 2 ways of actually translating the date. One way brought the date 12/21/2012. Another way of translating the date brought up a date much much later in the future. I can't remember the exact date but it was certainly not anytime soon - thousands of years away.

He seemed convinced that it was really the later date - however perhaps he said this so he wouldn't lose his job by openly predicting the end of the World in a Public University or to give us some hope - I'm not sure which.

Then, Several years later I saw my professor on TV (pbs i think) and he was telling the interviewer that the Mayan date was going to be 2012 and he did not mention the alternative date at all like he did in our class.

So I don't know what to think but i say we better brace ourselves for something because even the experts don't seem to know for sure!!!!!

[edit on 17-3-2008 by CyberTruth]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Exciting!
Guranteed to get your attention.
The end of the world.
Well, it is not.
I am no expert, I just pay attention to what I read and hear, and I do almost nothing but.
It is just a date.
Job security for the priests with the sacred knowledge.
You have a bunch of time segments and the priests are there to tell you what to expect for each segment.
They went ahead and built a system to accomidate themselves and their up-coming descendents.
So, the Y2K thing is a good analogy.
The people set up programs to work as long as that particular computer will probubly be in use, and good enough, for now.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
and anyway,bottled water is the biggest con ever.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Look how Y2K helped our economy.
Think of our present economic state.
We would benefit from another big disaster, or apocalypse. THe proof is in the pudding.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
To me, 2012 isn't so much a date as it is more of a movement. It's about ascension and vibrating at a higher rate than ever before. The movement is occuring right now. I don't think that it will be apocalyptic but some people have theorized that there will be a dimensional leap for some while others are left behind. I'm not sure if that's going to happen but like it was previously said, there are a lot of theories out there.

I don't think Y2K is a good analogy though. It seems that there are ten times the theories and attention given to 2012 as there was to Y2K. I didn't buy into it then but this feels different. Only time will tell but it should be a fun ride getting there.

Peace

Edit to add: There is a big misomer out there about the Mayan Calendar. The one that ends 12/21/2012 is one of seventeen calendars that they use. If I remember correctly, this one ending means the end of the fourth sun and the rising of the fifth.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by Universal Light]

top topics

join