It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sex Offenders Collect Financial Aid!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Sex Offenders Collect Financial Aid!

www.rawstory.com

The 48-year-old rapist is one of Iowa's most dangerous sex offenders, locked up in a state-run treatment center for fear he will attack again if released. Yet he has received thousands of dollars in federal aid to take college courses through the mail.

Across the nation, dozens of sexual predators have been taking higher education classes at taxpayer expense while confined by the courts to treatment centers. Critics say they are exploiting a loophole to receive Pell Grants, the nation's premier financial aid program for low-income students.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This is unreal...Our gov granting VIOLENT sex offenders thousands of dollars in grants towards college education.

Now I'm all for rehabilitation, but how many kids coming out of high school who've lived clean lives and broken no laws are losing out on grants given to these inmates?

Am I the only one who thinks there's something a little off base with this in terms of priorities?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Excuse me but what kind of treatment are these people getting and what is the success rate of said treatment? How many of these sex offenders have been "cured" My guess, 0.

The fact they are able to access higher education while being "treated" for an indefinite period of time is assinine. These people are, for all intent and purpose, locked up for the rest of their lives, what good will higher education be to them?

new topics

join