It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinook salmon vanish without a trace

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Buy 5 minute oatmeal while its still available and cheap
Long shelf life and nutritious. Great stockpile item

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Pollution:

I live in California and I can tell you that all of the valley's rivers are disgusting streams of trash and Human waste. I'd never want to touch those waters let alone eat fish out of them. I'd think they might come out with 3 eyes and 9 fins.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This is not the first or last fishery to suffer.

Here is an article on the collapse of the cod fishery off of Newfoundland.

Canadian cod collapse

Now an article in the New Scientist is talking about a collapse of the tuna fishery.

Tuna Fishery

Here is another article that is talking about a global fishery collapse.

Global Fishery Collapse

Sadly, all the countries of the world need to work together to make sure that there is no over fishing and so far this isn't happening.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

I hear they are talking about turning the cellulose in recycled news print into an edible product...

Flaked cellulose litter material which can be reused as food or fertilizer
United States Patent 5195465
www.freepatentsonline.com...

YUMMMMMEEEEE

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by housegroove23

ya, HAARP is a HUGE cause of all these! I've opened a thread on this before with some good video links, check them out. It's nuts what they're doing and the fact that it has expanded 10x the size it was means that it is being used a lot more, their on to something!! HUGE!!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

Hi undo, you are correct we at home keep a good supply of oatmeal on hand at all times I learned this from my mother who went thru the great depression. Also bran use to be fed to cattle years ago because there was not much of a market to humans and it was very cheap. Today bran is in many food and cereal blends for fiber and the price keeps going up and up. Rik Riley

[edit on 18-3-2008 by rikriley]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks Zorgon for the info on eatable cellulose pellets. Yes I can see a big future using the product to be used as a bulking agent mixed with other grains to stretch the amount of food or grain available. With energy prices skyrocketing everything goes when it comes to stretching the dollar. I do not want to turn into a rabbit while eating those pellets. LOL Rik Riley

[edit on 18-3-2008 by rikriley]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Maybe all the Cali chinook packed-up and moved north...

From an October 2007 article about salmon returns in Seattle...

SEATTLE -- A record number of threatened chinook salmon are passing through the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks in Ballard, Wash., this year, bound for East King County rivers.

The return of nearly 32,000 far surpasses the previous record of about 19,000 set in 2001. Counts began in 1995.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Now, here's the interesting thing from this article...

Sockeye salmon, however, have reached a low of about 60,000. Biologists had estimated that about 125,000 would enter the Locks this season.

Sockeyes are returning to Canadian rivers in similarly low numbers.

Foley said marine conditions, especially water temperatures, affect the numbers most. Because chinook and sockeye migrate out to the ocean at different times, the bulk of the chinook returning this year probably reached the ocean in 2004, while most of the sockeye probably entered saltwater in 2005.

Low sockeye returns from the 2005 outbound salmon. Just as the OP article says the Sacramento River chinook hit the ocean in 2005.

Here's another recent article about ocean conditions and the effects on salmon.

www.cbbulletin.com...

Most recent history shows, however, that the North Pacific has had two shifts of four years duration recently: a cold era from 1999-2002 and warm period from 2003-2006. Chinook salmon returns to the Columbia mirrored those trends with total numbers climbing upwards from 2000-2003, then declining for the next four years.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

They heard Lake Union was cleaned up and the rivers were coming back to life. Great news and post peopleattacker.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Chernobyl translates to"Wormwood", according to several instances of news. If true, why would the Russians name a reactor with such potentially horrid connotations?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
As the article says "... to not be eaten." Seals eat salmon. Sharks eat Seals. Asians and more Westerners are eating shark fin soup and sharks. The seal population has poliferated out of reason.
A bounty needs to be placed back on seal ears as there was in the '30s and '40s. At that time you could almost walk across small creeks (1 foot deep and 3 to 6 foot wide) on the backs of spawning salmon.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The same thing (with salmon, not bees) is happening in the Klamath River system in Northern California and Southern Oregon, but the reason is known. Many of the tributaries for the Klamath are filthy-- farmers and ranchers are allowing all sorts of chemicals and animal waste products to wash into the little streams that feed the Klamath, and the river has been damed in many places upstream. The water from the bottom of the man-made lakes that is let back into the river is absolutely filthy, since everything that sinks down to the bottom is let out. The river water is also way, way too warm for the salmon to survive. The warm water and the horrible water quality also contribute to huge amounts of algae in the river, which in turn further ruins the water quality for salmon.
I don't know as much about the Sacramento, but it does go through a lot of farm land (as do its tributaries) and is damed in several places in Nor. Cal. The same thing that is killing the salmon and other fish in the Klamath could be killing the salmon in the Sac-- not necessarily a sign of the end times, just another sign of how much us humans f--- things up in nature.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
NOT GOOD You know why they're dissapearing? It's not overfishing. They aren't being killed or 'whiped' out.

Animals are losing their electromagnetic direction because of the coming pole shift.

You are correct. There is a pole reversal in the making. However, salmon do not navigate by magnetic fields. The roam randomly at sea to feed, and navigate their return to their home tributary using the aquatic equivilent of "smell".

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
This is common sense. The fish migrate from north to south during the migration along the coast. As they pass by washinton, oregon and california fishermen their chances go down. No spawners means no smolts.

but... since it is common sense as you said, why are the fisherman and the 'experts' still perplexed then

I am perplexed by your statement.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal
Pollution:

I live in California and I can tell you that all of the valley's rivers are disgusting streams of trash and Human waste. I'd never want to touch those waters let alone eat fish out of them. I'd think they might come out with 3 eyes and 9 fins.

I am utterly surprised everytime they don't!

California lakes and river are pretty nasty for the most part. Hence the push to "keep Tahoe blue'!

But are you saying pollution is what made these salmon disappear? I would think that would be a rather obvious assumption, yet the fisherman and 'experts' are preplexed over it.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It seems like the fish counts south of central Oregon all suffered more than normal this season. I wonder if the recent quake activity off the coast in that area is somehow related? Maybe there was some precursor to the quakes (ie electromagnetic interference or microvibrations) that threw the fish off, preventing them from returning to spawn. Personally speaking we had some fairly decent fish runs in the Puget Sound area this year, considering the crappy weather, and obviously those were returning fish that didn't have to pass near that seismic activity zone.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Salmon is important.

No joke, I totally love Salmon.
Favorite is Sockeye - 2nd is Coho. (need to preserve them somehow.)

Sure things change, but it seems that used to it was evolution of nature going a step up - one wonders now if we are devolving due to our own carelessness with the environment.

Hopefully something can be done about it...before all we have is Monsanto fish...oh wait, their pond all the fish died.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dAlen

No joke, I totally love Salmon.

And this is the main reason for my statement. Really.

But actually i think that we (human salmon lovers worldwide) can be sure in constant supply of salmon from salmon farms. Quality of course will be no good, but at least we will be able to enjoy it. I spoke with someone who developed natural (from certain seaweeds) red paint so it will even be pink.
However the food chain for animal kingdom is getting bent (or close to snapping?) in another link. Evolutionary we are still small kids, so maybe if we grow up (without killing ourself in the process ,hopefully) we will stop ruining our home?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join