It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinook salmon vanish without a trace

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Chinook salmon vanish without a trace

The Chinook salmon that swim upstream to spawn in the fall, the most robust run in the Sacramento River, have disappeared. The almost complete collapse of the richest and most dependable source of Chinook salmon south of Alaska left gloomy fisheries experts struggling for reliable explanations — and coming up dry.

So what happened? As Dave Bitts, a fisherman based in Eureka in Northern California, sees it, the variables are simple. "To survive, there are two things a salmon needs," he said. "To eat. And not to be eaten."

Fragmentary evidence about salmon mortality in the Sacramento River in recent years, as well as more robust but still inconclusive data about ocean conditions in 2005, indicates that the fall Chinook smolts, or baby fish, of 2005 may have lost out on both counts. But biologists, fishermen and fishery managers all emphasize that no one yet knows anything for sure.

More...

Articles like this one really do imply dark clouds on the horizon...

[edit on 17-3-2008 by loam]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Food chain breaks up in new places... Bye bye bears, i guess? Step closer to bye bye humans? Salmon is important. Wonder when all the plankton-creatures will "vanish without a trace".
However global warming is not guilty (at least directly) ,it was a cold year. Must be pollution at work. Really sad.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This is common sense. The fish migrate from north to south during the migration along the coast. As they pass by washinton, oregon and california fishermen their chances go down. No spawners means no smolts.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This is a strange thing to happen. One would expect them to dwindle down, not dissapear so fast. It could have something to do with how they navigate.
Side note: Fresh salmon tastes terrible. It should sit around a few days before being eaten.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
NOT GOOD

Stories like this are going to keep popping up. Animal populations 'dissapearing'.

You know why they're dissapearing? It's not overfishing. They aren't being killed or 'whiped' out.

Animals are losing their electromagnetic direction because of the coming pole shift.

"Pole shift? That's just more 2012 nonsense." No. It's not. Scientists are currently observing the shift. The magnetic pulse of this planet is changing, the positive and negative poles are 'bleeding' into one another and this process is speeding up.

Look at this

Bees are 'disappearing'... Salmon are 'disappearing'.

I can tell you right now, they are not disappearing, they have lost their migrational directions. THEY KNOW THIS and are not telling the public. They don't want the public to know about the pole shift or anything coming up that is related to the 2012 shift.

Mark my words. You will see more signs - but you will not hear the proper explanations.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Not good news.
I read somewhere a long time ago an article claiming scientists were against the development of the Haarp array in Alaska, stating it would have a devastating effect on the fisheries in the north west.

If I remember correctly, the article was based more on the spawning "eggs' And not the adult fish. I don't know if this has anything to do with the situation here, But I thought I would mention it.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pault0126

This may be correct, there is a Haarp array setup in the backyard of Sacramento City collage, it is visible to everyone on the I80 freeway going towards the Bayarea.

That is how out in the open Haarp is to the public here in Sacramento.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
When I saw the title of this thread on the list of flagged threads, I knew that this thread would be loam's
. Thanks for always keeping us updated with nature-related news

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Man, don't talk like that. Bye-bye plankton is bye-bye every living thing in the ocean. God forbid.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I`m going to go out on a limb here -

I`m calling poaching as the cause.

A few years back, on Japan`s national broadcaster (NHK) there was an expose documentary on salmon poaching - predominantly for ikura - salmon eggs. The doc focused on Kamchatka, and showed how the local mafia was poaching salmon for the eggs - which would then make their way to Western Europe, Korea, China, and Japan - fueling the increased demand for the product in Sushi. The doc mentioned that something similar has been happening in the North American market, where Japanese cuisine has had a huge spike in popularity.

I`ll have a scout around and see if I can find the documentary online, although it`s in Japanese. Might me a clue to what`s going on.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

There would have to be some strange, large scale, poaching system going on to wipe out an entire species in one season. I don't think that is the case. Up in Oregon I remember a few years ago we had a dramatic drop off in salmon runs and it freaked everyone out. They did return in larger numbers the next year though.

This is a strange occurance for sure and the first thing I thought of was "First it was the bee's now it is the salmon.".

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Over hundreds of thousands of years species have come and gone...and yet humans are still here, if for some weird reason other than over fishing/poaching/magnetic pole shift/aliens has wiped out another species of animal, it certainly wont effect humans.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Bible prophecy states that 1/3rd of all life in the ocean will die due to an event referred to as "Wormwood." Personally, I think Wormwood is a spacecraft that either crashes or deliberately dives into the ocean and poisons it and the several rivers and fountains of the deep. If loss of the plankton signalled no more life in the ocean, period, it seems a safe bet that it won't be a loss of all plankton because the text only accounts for 1/3rd. That is, unless the Wormwood event happened already in antiquity and we don't recognize it because no one knew at the time that 1/3rd of the ocean's life was exterminated. Doesn't seem likely however, since at the same time or just prior, "A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up." (Revelation 8:7)

(note: for bible scholars, consider the fact it keeps reiterating "a third", as this is a reference to one third of the fallen angels. This, to me, sounds like an extra-terrestrial invasion of biblical proportions)

[edit on 18-3-2008 by undo]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Even more disturbing that this is the decline in the oceans... The dead zones are large and widespread...

MSNBC Source

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
wow, interesting news. Every year i have a lot of Native American friend's that fish the Columbia River in Washington State (below the Chief Joseph dam, in bridgeport, WA) and every year i look forward to tons of smoked salmon
I'll wait to see how the fishin this year is up in WA, and keep ya'll updated. . .

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by pault0126scientists were against the development of the Haarp array in Alaska,

The HAARP array is a good thing.... It may be able to protect us when the pole shift occurs by tossing up a replacement 'shield' around Earth...

Only problem is you need more arrays than just HAARP....

Good thing we already have MANY in place around the world huh?

Of course it has its bad sides as well .... but hey

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
NOT GOOD

Mark my words. You will see more signs - but you will not hear the proper explanations.

What does this mean to someone like me, personally. I wont have bees stinging me, or honey? I'll have to do with carp or flake?

I'll still be able to buy grain tho? And I'll still be able to produce fruit?

Why is it such a worry? Humans wont cease to exist?????

We will still have manufactured electricity, manufactured water if needed, manufactured climate control - all of the things we HAVE today.

So, to someone like me, what impact would no bees or no chinook have?

-- and to point out, I dont for a second hope for nor want such change, and I would indeed do my best to avoid it, but Im just asking a question.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Apparently you don't realize that bee's do just a tad more than sting you.

en.wikipedia.org...

Bees are extremely important as pollinators in agriculture, especially the domesticated Western honey bee, with contract pollination having overtaken the role of honey production for beekeepers in many countries. Monoculture and pollinator decline (of many bee species) have increasingly caused honey bee keepers to become migratory so that bees can be concentrated in areas of pollination need at the appropriate season. Recently, many such migratory beekeepers have experienced substantial losses, prompting the announcement of investigation into the phenomenon, dubbed "Colony Collapse Disorder," amidst great concern over the nature and extent of the losses., especially the domesticated Western honey bee, with contract pollination having overtaken the role of honey production for beekeepers in many countries. Monoculture and pollinator decline (of many bee species) have increasingly caused honey bee keepers to become migratory so that bees can be concentrated in areas of pollination need at the appropriate season. Recently, many such migratory beekeepers have experienced substantial losses, prompting the announcement of investigation into the phenomenon, dubbed "Colony Collapse Disorder," amidst great concern over the nature and extent of the losses.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I wonder if the Global Dimming phenomena is affecting the phyto-plankton populations. They need light to grow don't they? They are the base of the food chain so if they start declining it is only natural that there is a ripple effect.

Bees are important as they pollinate many MANY food crops.

The polarity change is really interesting to me. It scared me at first but I have come to understand that it will be more chaotic, but the magnetic shield will still be there. I predict that auroras will be seen in many places thay have't been for a long time as the poles instead of being grouped in two distict areas will now be multiple poles. I think the polar shift is a good avenue to investigate when we think about declining migrating species that rely on magnetic fields for much of their navagation.

Nature abhors a vaccuum so I wouldn't be suprised to see another anadromous fish species or a bumper crop of freshwater river fish fill in the gaps.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Major Ed Dames through his remote viewing has fore told that the oceans would no longer be fishable because of contaminated fish from pollution, and the fish in the oceans would die off causing disaster for the fish industry and humanity.

Yes of course many could of predicted this but he told of this happening years ago before many of these incidents and he visually saw this coming. Rik Riley

top topics

<<   2 >>

join